Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Reviews > Audio, CB, & Electrical > Audio Players > Cyanics - iDeck Integrated Car Cassette Adapter for iPod

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!

Cyanics - iDeck Integrated Car Cassette Adapter for iPod Reviews, Ratings, Specs & Prices
Review Categories
Armor
  Bumpers
  Differential Guards
  Rocker Guards
  Roll Cages
  Skid Plates
Audio, CB, & Electrical
  Audio Players
  Batteries
  CB & HAM Radios
  GPS
  Speakers
Axles
  Axle Shafts
  Brakes
  Gears
  Hubs
  Lockers
  Steering
Body
  Body Lifts
  Consoles, Security & Storage
  Exterior Accessories
  Fender Flares
  Lighting, Lenses & Bulbs
  Roof Racks & Cargo Areas
  Tops
Engine
  Alternators
  Carburetors
  Chips
  Exhaust
  Headers
  Induction
  Internal Parts
  Motor Mounts
  Starters
  Throttle Body
Interior
  Gauges
  Misc
  Seats
Recovery
  Winch Cable and Hooks
  Winches
Suspension
  Complete Lift Kits
  Control Arms
  Shocks
  Springs
  Steering Stabilizers
  Track Bars
Tires & Wheels
  Tires
  Wheels
Transfer Case
  SYE Kits
  Transfer Cases
Transmissions
  Transmissions
Previous Product Audio Players Next Product

Cyanics - iDeck Integrated Car Cassette Adapter for iPod

Email This Bookmark Print This Review      Find On: JCWhitney.com | 4wheelparts.com | 4wd.com | eBay.com
Rating: None

Product Information

MSRP: $40.00
Manufacturer: Cyanics
Company Website: http://www.cyanics.net/

From the product website:

• Connects iPod and car audio without any cable
• Clear and rich sound quality and no need of scanning for available frequency
• Simple interface and easy to operate
• Mounting position is set on the cassette deck which is the ideal spot for the iPod operation
• Able to charge your iPod (cigarette lighter adapter included)
• Compatible with iPod Nano 3G/4G, Touch 1G/2G/3G, Classic 80/120/160 GB, Video Video (30/60/80 GB)
• Aux port to connect other MP3 player (3.5 mm audio cable required and not included)

My review on Amazon:

I had been looking for a means of playing my iPhone through the radio in my 1999 Jeep Cherokee. I tried an FM transmitter type of device, but there are NO vacant frequencies here in Miami. I returned it. Then I decided to get a cassette adapter (my old Jeep has a tape deck instead of a CD player) and searched Amazon for such a device. While there were many available options for a simple adapter with a wire from the cassette to the iPhone, there was only one choice if I wanted something that would charge and cradle AND play my iPhone's music: The iDeck is that option.

When it arrived I noticed the packaging is very nice and the instructions are very good (although the manufacturer's engineering department really needs to come up with better names for the device's parts; Middle Part does not elicit feelings of confidence in the device's design). The trouble I had with the unit was when I tried to insert it into my radio. It simply refused to mount correctly. It would suck down partway into the cassette opening and then eject after a second or two. I tried for about 30 minutes to get it to work with no success.

I wrote an email to the manufacturer and to their credit, they replied within a few hours. They suggested I try bending the plastic that connects the Middle Part to the cassette part until it forms a greater angle and this should allow it to drop down further into the cassette opening on the radio. I tried this and it did adopt the bend without breaking (they said they would accept a return if I managed to break it while executing their fix), but it still would not load into the radio without ejecting.

While trying to get it to work, I took a long, close look inside the radio opening and saw the radio's cassette mechanism has "feed lips" that seemed to hang up on the iDeck's Middle Part, preventing it from loading correctly. I warned the manufacturer that I was going to take it upon myself to modify their product, then set to work with a Dremel tool and a sanding bit. I took off only a couple millimeters of material from the rear of the Middle Part, giving it a beveled appearance. It loaded perfectly on the second try after this modification and now the iDeck works perfectly. It still requires a few tries to get it into the radio, but I don't plan on removing it since I never listen to the radio and I don't mind having the iDeck always on the dash. I emailed photos of my mod to the manufacturer and they said they would forward them to their engineers for a possible fix in future versions of the device.

The unit comes with a few clips to accommodate different versions of iPod/iPhone, though the recommended clip for the iPhone will not work if you have your iPhone in a hard-shell case. At least, not without removing the case. In my case, I just decided to not use any clip (they're not required for the iDeck to work) and I put a small piece of Velcro on the dash and the back of the iPhone case to help keep the phone steady while I drive.

Speaking of keeping steady, you might want to turn off your iPod's "Shake to Shuffle" option in the settings--every time I drove over a rumble strip or speed bump I would hear a little series of notes and the music would switch to a different song. It took me a few days to figure it out, and turning off the shake feature fixed it.

I highly recommend this product, even though you may have to make a few changes to the current design to get it to work with your particular radio.

Tags
None

Login or Register to Add Review