Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Reviews > Audio, CB, & Electrical > GPS > Oregon 300

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Oregon 300 Reviews, Ratings, Specs & Prices
Review Categories
Armor
  Bumpers
  Differential Guards
  Rocker Guards
  Roll Cages
  Skid Plates
Audio, CB, & Electrical
  Audio Players
  Batteries
  CB & HAM Radios
  GPS
  Speakers
Axles
  Axle Shafts
  Brakes
  Gears
  Hubs
  Lockers
  Steering
Body
  Body Lifts
  Consoles, Security & Storage
  Exterior Accessories
  Fender Flares
  Lighting, Lenses & Bulbs
  Roof Racks & Cargo Areas
  Tops
Engine
  Alternators
  Carburetors
  Chips
  Exhaust
  Headers
  Induction
  Internal Parts
  Motor Mounts
  Starters
  Throttle Body
Interior
  Gauges
  Misc
  Seats
Recovery
  Winch Cable and Hooks
  Winches
Suspension
  Complete Lift Kits
  Control Arms
  Shocks
  Springs
  Steering Stabilizers
  Track Bars
Tires & Wheels
  Tires
  Wheels
Transfer Case
  SYE Kits
  Transfer Cases
Transmissions
  Transmissions
Previous Product GPS Next Product

Oregon 300

Email This Bookmark Print This Review      Find On: JCWhitney.com | 4wheelparts.com | 4wd.com | eBay.com
Rating:

Product Information

MSRP: $399.00
Average Price: $332.00
Manufacturer: Garmin
Recommended?
Yes: 1 / No: 0
Company Website: http://https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=14903

Rugged hand held mapping GPS with a 3" touch screen. It has a compass and altimeter. There is a built in base map. Additional maps can be purchased and installed.
It uses 2 AA batteries and boasts 16 hours of battery life. It is USB and NMEA compatible. It has 850M of installed memory and a microSD slot for additional storage.
6.8oz with batteries.

Attachment 76934

Tags
None

Login or Register to Add Review

Fett

Mechanically Declined
Fett's Reviews

06-15-2009, 07:38 PM
Price: $332.00
Pros: Touch screen, sensitive GPS receiver, design is easy to hold onto, water resistant, only one button (power), SD slot is hidden, uses AA or rechargeable NiMH.
Cons: Base map is lousy, screen scratches easily, pricey accessories/maps, turn-by-turn (with purchased City Nav) does not show distance to next turn on the map screen.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I've had it for only a week now, so I'm still building an opinion.

It fits great in the hand and is easy to grip. Very rugged!

The battery life isn't quite the 16 hours they boast, but I did get 12 hours out of some Energizers.

Garmin is horrible when it comes to maps. Their base map is horrible (on purpose I'm sure) so you are forced into purchasing THEIR city navigation and topo maps to make the unit worthwhile.

It picks up satellites quickly and holds them really good.

The touch screen is great and has adequate brightness. I did acquire a small scratch already and I don't know how. It's been handled very gently. So I quickly put a high quality screen protector on order.

It comes with a carabiner clip which is bulky and awkward. I could see using it on a backpack though. It doesn't, however, come with a wrist strap. The holes are there for one so I took one off of my old camera.

The car mount and charger are pricey, even when shopping around.

I don't like that when I'm navigating, looking at the map, it doesn't tell me the distance to the next waypoint/street. It does give the name of the waypoint/street. There is a "dash board" that give your all the numbers (MPH, distance to dest, distance to next, eta, etc) and it's fully configurable, but it takes two finger pokes to get you there. Kind of a pain in the rear.

The compass is cool and I'm looking forward to playing with it more.

Lots of other features like sun/moon schedule, stop watch, alarm clock, calculator, calendar and the very cool "area calculator". It also does elevation plots, has a geocache feature and a thing called Wherigo, which my boys are really looking forward to playing with (it's like a game).

Expensive = Yes. Worth the extra money for a touch screen = Yes.

UPDATE: One other PRO for this unit is that Garmin has released 12 new versions of firmware since I bought this. It is brought on, mostly, by a Wiki web site where users post problems and desired changes. That's good customer service!

The more I use it, the more I like it.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.