Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Reviews > Audio, CB, & Electrical > GPS > Garmin Nuvi 255

Smittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Trick Tabs - NalinMFG.comCCOR is your 1 stop source for everything Jeep!

Garmin Nuvi 255 Reviews, Ratings, Specs & Prices
Review Categories
Armor
  Bumpers
  Differential Guards
  Rocker Guards
  Roll Cages
  Skid Plates
Audio, CB, & Electrical
  Audio Players
  Batteries
  CB & HAM Radios
  GPS
  Speakers
Axles
  Axle Shafts
  Brakes
  Gears
  Hubs
  Lockers
  Steering
Body
  Body Lifts
  Consoles, Security & Storage
  Exterior Accessories
  Fender Flares
  Lighting, Lenses & Bulbs
  Roof Racks & Cargo Areas
  Tops
Engine
  Alternators
  Carburetors
  Chips
  Exhaust
  Headers
  Induction
  Internal Parts
  Motor Mounts
  Starters
  Throttle Body
Interior
  Gauges
  Misc
  Seats
Recovery
  Winch Cable and Hooks
  Winches
Suspension
  Complete Lift Kits
  Control Arms
  Shocks
  Springs
  Steering Stabilizers
  Track Bars
Tires & Wheels
  Tires
  Wheels
Transfer Case
  SYE Kits
  Transfer Cases
Transmissions
  Transmissions
Previous Product GPS Next Product

Garmin Nuvi 255

Email This Bookmark Print This Review      Find On: JCWhitney.com | 4wheelparts.com | 4wd.com | eBay.com
Rating:

Product Information

Average Price: $137.79
Manufacturer: Garmin
Recommended?
Yes: 15 / No: 0

Great GPS, recalculates fast, has plenty of features. No cons that I can think of.

Tags
None

Login or Register to Add Review

corycarr84
corycarr84's Reviews
05-28-2014, 10:33 AM
Price: $40.00
Pros: works great
Cons: sometimes doesn't load correctly then after a restart it works fine.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: .

capcyclone

capcyclone's Reviews
08-24-2012, 06:57 PM
Price: $200.00
Pros: Simple to use Accurate
Cons: Needs better mounting bracket options as a standard
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Simple to use
I hoped it would come with a mounting bracket to allow you to mount to your car vent, but you can't get everything you want - right? Would highly recommend!

OustedJeep
OustedJeep's Reviews
10-24-2011, 08:29 PM
Price: $0.01
Pros: Easy to use, very adjustable.
Cons: Gets confused sometimes.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Other than the random "Turn around, your heading the wrong way...*10 seconds later* Turn around, Wrong way retard", this thing is an animal.

It usually happens in construction zones on the interstate, and when I'm hungry. My GPS knows I like taco bell, so it'll turn me around on an exit with a Taco bell. It's happened numerous times now when traveling.

Haven't tried it off the beaten path yet, but I haven't updated it since I got it 2 years ago, and its pretty good with back country roads.

The battery life... About 5 hours, with the brightness on 10%. I always keep it low, I only use it at night.

It's very adjustable. Change the voices around, download new ones, change the map view, rotate the map view, plan a route, use it as a walking gps, avoid certain things like tollroads, freeways, hummers .

Plans by Shortest time, shortest distance, or quickest drive. Which, for the life of me I can't figure out. I guess it's a combination of the two.

Oregon47
Oregon47's Reviews
07-31-2011, 05:29 PM
Price: $100.00
Pros: Awesome!
Cons: Easy to steal
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Its very easy to steal out my windows

aflynn15
aflynn15's Reviews
12-19-2010, 04:03 PM
Price: $149.99
Pros: Huge database of addresses Search by location feature Search by activities and
Cons: None
Recommended? Yes

Comments: This product is great. Has all the addresses I've ever searched for. Has great features that are useful and helpful. Can search for a business or activity and it will give plenty of options. Overall great product.

ThunderFoot

ThunderFoot's Reviews
09-01-2010, 11:57 PM
Price: $185.00
Pros: Small size doesn't clutter the dashboard. Portable.
Cons: Battery life virtually requires the power cord.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I got the Garmin Nuvi 255 after the first Garmin Nuvi 205 was such a pain to use with the touch screen. Fortunately this was noted the day I bought it. The voice is unintelligible when set to a foreign voice (even when you understand the language) so I keep it set to a pleasant female voice. The one thing that really irks me, though, is the automatic rescaling of the maps. This isn't a showstopper; the unit is very good. One thing I like is it will show the speed limit for the stretch of road being travelled and it is uncanny in its accuracy.

ZJ4LIFE
ZJ4LIFE's Reviews
03-05-2010, 01:31 AM
Price: $185.00
Pros: it has found my location all over the places i've gone 2
Cons: its not doing so well on freeways and is off by 100 150 feet.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Garmin GPS is one of the best you can buy for the US market. It does have issues in sum areas, if your near multible freeways you may want to know your way around, it(gps) been off sumtimes like telling you to exit after you realy needed to. It does work well around Humbolt county and Hoopa area it will show the trails even if you road map dont, if you turn on the unit when your already in motion it will take the unit a litle longer to locate ones self.
Overall its a good to great unit, and yes you can put in data and save it on to a memory card and other things that i would maybe use one day down the road.

madflyer72

madflyer72's Reviews
01-26-2010, 09:20 AM
Price: $150.00
Pros: it gets me from A to B
Cons: nothing
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Couldn't go anywhere without it. Love it, and its always with me

jeepinmichguy_

I haz ah Geep
jeepinmichguy_'s Reviews
01-15-2010, 10:18 AM
Pros: cheap and works great
Cons: speakers
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I purchased 2 255W Garmin GPs units when we moved to Jacksonville, they are spot on and portable so an easy hook up. The only complaint i have is you have to keep the volume down cause the speakers sound like their going to blow.

JeepWJ

JeepWJ's Reviews
12-05-2009, 09:33 AM
Price: $129.00
Pros: Topo map capability, pretty interface, text-to-speech, auto on/off with external power, screen size.
Cons: Warning screen on startup, not-great default voices
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I had a little TomTom which fell out of its holder and broke the screen. I bought the Garmin Nuvi 255W to replace it, and for the price, I'm REALLY impressed with it. You can either buy topo maps from Garmin for an extra $170, or just download them from other sites where users have compiled them into a Garmin-compatible format.

Text-to-speech is really nice, especially when you get into those tricky interchanges in big cities.

Auto on/off with your ignition is a HUGE plus, especially as my TomTom broke while I was trying to turn it on. With the Garmin, it figures out when to turn itself on and off.

Also while I'm comparing the TomTom and the Garmin, the wide screen really rocks.

The only two drawbacks I can see so far are 1) when you start up, a warning screen pops up, telling you what you should and shouldn't do with your GPS while driving. Well duh....... 2) is that the voices that come with the unit aren't very loud. They're pretty good as text-to-speech voices go, but they could be a WHOLE lot louder and clearer (especially the female voices). I'm not sure if that's an issue with the size of the speaker in the Garmin, or the EQ on the actual TS audio files.

Oh, and did I mention it does topo maps?

sracer2005
sracer2005's Reviews
10-06-2009, 04:02 AM
Price: $240.00
Pros: Great product. Good price
Cons: A little slow at recalulating
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Looks awesome and internal battery has a good life.

06TJfototkr

06TJfototkr's Reviews
09-14-2009, 07:00 PM
Price: $200.00
Pros: easy to read, speaks street names, locates all you need
Cons: map upgrades cost a lot
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Have had this 255W since December of 08 and 99% of the time, find out where I get to go. Some roads aren't updated, and the map upgrades are costly.. but its a great GPS to own. Has room to expand to the MSN live traffic and weather service.

05moabTJ

05moabTJ's Reviews
07-31-2009, 04:10 PM
Pros: Great step by step and plotting
Cons: not touch screen
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Garmin is the industry standard, highly recommend this product.

Weezow1
Weezow1's Reviews
05-10-2009, 05:40 PM
Price: $150.00
Pros: Small, speaker can get very loud, easy to use
Cons: Wish keyboard layout was QWERTY like on the widescreen one
Recommended? Yes

Comments: This GPS is great for me. Its easy to use and at 100% volume its loud enough for me to hear it with the top down. It also recalculates routes very quickly which is good because I'm usually bad when it comes to following directions. I would recommend this product to someone who wants a good GPS for the price.

rallykid
rallykid's Reviews

04-05-2009, 02:19 AM
Garmin Nuvi 255
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Same as the 255 but the W has the widescreen. Came free when I bought my Jeep. I wish it had Bluetooth and an external speaker option as the stock speaker is mediocre but other than those 2 shortcomings it is a great product. For free I can't really complain.