Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Reviews > Audio, CB, & Electrical > GPS > Garmin Nuvi 205

Great prices on seating!--Oconee Off-RoadTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGTJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion Kit

Garmin Nuvi 205 Reviews, Ratings, Specs & Prices
Review Categories
Armor
  Bumpers
  Differential Guards
  Rocker Guards
  Roll Cages
  Skid Plates
Audio, CB, & Electrical
  Audio Players
  Batteries
  CB & HAM Radios
  GPS
  Speakers
Axles
  Axle Shafts
  Brakes
  Gears
  Hubs
  Lockers
  Steering
Body
  Body Lifts
  Consoles, Security & Storage
  Exterior Accessories
  Fender Flares
  Lighting, Lenses & Bulbs
  Roof Racks & Cargo Areas
  Tops
Engine
  Alternators
  Carburetors
  Chips
  Exhaust
  Headers
  Induction
  Internal Parts
  Motor Mounts
  Starters
  Throttle Body
Interior
  Gauges
  Misc
  Seats
Recovery
  Winch Cable and Hooks
  Winches
Suspension
  Complete Lift Kits
  Control Arms
  Shocks
  Springs
  Steering Stabilizers
  Track Bars
Tires & Wheels
  Tires
  Wheels
Transfer Case
  SYE Kits
  Transfer Cases
Transmissions
  Transmissions
Previous Product GPS Next Product

Garmin Nuvi 205

Email This Bookmark Print This Review      Find On: JCWhitney.com | 4wheelparts.com | 4wd.com | eBay.com
Rating:

Product Information

MSRP: $250.00
Average Price: $187.67
Manufacturer: Garmin
Recommended?
Yes: 10 / No: 2

Great lower level gps, ton of options, points of interest, trip, speed, etc.

Tags
None

Login or Register to Add Review

Morgen251

Morgen251's Reviews
10-15-2010, 03:35 PM
Price: $175.00
Pros: Great pic, day or night, easy touch screen nav
Cons: Sometimes takes time to loc satellites, esp if you went into a parking garage or out of range area
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Good GPS, haven't used much offroad. Will generally get you there, but has trouble keeping up in downtown areas where turns can be made (and routes need to be recalc'd) in 30 seconds or less.

HikerX

HikerX's Reviews
07-02-2010, 10:35 PM
Price: $99.00
Pros: Simple to use, as a basic GPS it gets the job done, acquires sats quickly
Cons: Won't save tracks
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I got this GPS free as a "reward" from my bank. Super simple easy to use GPS, but lacks some of the features you like in a true portable device.

jeep_oiiiiio
jeep_oiiiiio's Reviews

03-01-2010, 10:41 AM
Price: $159.00
Pros: Easy to use, set-up and see
Cons: Hard to find maps of Jeep trails.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: My only compliant is the price of topo maps and their lack of detail for forest service maps.

mosshopper
mosshopper's Reviews
08-19-2009, 05:06 PM
Price: $130.00
Pros: Small compact
Cons: none sop far
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I love this thing it was loaded with alot of maps and has so many more features than I need LOVE IT!

grogie

M-F: Cell Block #4533
grogie's Reviews

08-15-2009, 06:31 PM
Price: $250.00
Pros: Easy to move from vehicle to vehicle, or carry as it has a battery that you can charge in the Jeep or hooked up to your computer, plus easy to enter address, adjustable volume, bright screen.
Cons: Had to buy a special USB cable to register and update software and maps, Garmin's support and web site.
Recommended? No

Comments: I was given this for Christmas of 2008 so I don't exactly know the cost?
It is easy to use and I can now see why a GPS is nice to have when traveling or just going somewhere for the first time. I like that this one is portable and easy to move, but I don't know that I'd recommend this one?

For my complaints, first I had to buy a special (and expensive) USB cable to hook it up to my Mac (or a PC) in order to register it. Garmin wants to sell you map updates that you download from their web site, but that also requires that you first buy their USB cable. It seems like they should just include the cable to make it easy so that you do register so that they have your contact information, and so that you possibly buy their map updates.
So once I received my cable and registered, Garmin sent me an email with an offer for a free map update (the maps on my Garmin were a year old).
I logged onto their web site and they had the same free update listed five times that each had their own activation key! I downloaded one file that took awhile as it was over 1 gig. Then I tried to install it, which the activation key wouldn't work. They had two ways to update the GPS, either by their web site or by a stand alone program (that sucked). Nothing worked... Each update option kept refusing the key.
After that failed, I tried two of the other downloads, which their activation code again didn't work.
Instructions for updates were all very lacking and all for Windows (I am on a Mac). I searched through their online help files, and one note about getting the key to work was talking about going into a text file on the GPS and editing the code! Are they kidding me?!
I went a head and emailed them to ask what to do, and made sure to mention that I was on a Mac. I did get a response, which all they did was to resend me the instructions for Windows! Thanks a lot!
So I again contacted them, which this time someone else reset the activation keys, and this time sent me new instructions for Windows when I had again reminded them I was on a Mac! Which again did not work and I was about ready to throw the GPS in the trash as in the process of trying to update the GPS, I was getting a message that it was now locked when I would turn it on as it was waiting for an activation key.
I then contacted them a third time, making sure to again tell them I was on a Mac and trying not to swear. This went on over a month, and finally I was given one new update to download, which I did the update via their web site. And the activation key worked. I noticed that their web site had changed some, so I assume they were having problems supporting Macs, which I was surprised as I can't imagine I'm the first Mac user to contact them.
It really was a nightmare and reminded me of a lousy Microsoft product, which I made sure to point out to them. Their web site was also poorly designed.
It certainly was not a user friendly experience. I guess I'm just spoiled for owning Macs all there years at updates and installs just working and thought out. Garmin just sucks.

imma_jeep_girl
imma_jeep_girl's Reviews
06-10-2009, 01:57 PM
Price: $200.00
Pros: wide screen, quick
Cons: nothing
Recommended? Yes

Comments: This is a wide screened GPS & it's awesome. Never fails me!!

Kasanders-02TJ
Kasanders-02TJ's Reviews
05-11-2009, 10:38 AM
Price: $160.00
Pros: Everything you really need in a GPS and nothing you dont.
Cons: nothing
Recommended? Yes

Comments:

Jhaddock07
Jhaddock07's Reviews

12-28-2008, 10:22 PM
Garmin Nuvi 205
Price: $250.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Great GPS made by one of the premier GPS companies around! gets me where I wanna go the first time!

tmaxx26power
tmaxx26power's Reviews

11-18-2008, 07:39 PM
Garmin Nuvi 205
Price: $249.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I have the Nuvi205W. I've only had this for a short time but so far I'm very happy with it.

ahewy
ahewy's Reviews

11-16-2008, 10:34 PM
Garmin Nuvi 205
Price: $180.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: great gps, i would buy another tomorrow if this broke, tons of options, very easy to use, i love it