Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Reviews > Audio, CB, & Electrical > CB & HAM Radios > Kenwood TM-D700A

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Kenwood TM-D700A Reviews, Ratings, Specs & Prices
Review Categories
Armor
  Bumpers
  Differential Guards
  Rocker Guards
  Roll Cages
  Skid Plates
Audio, CB, & Electrical
  Audio Players
  Batteries
  CB & HAM Radios
  GPS
  Speakers
Axles
  Axle Shafts
  Brakes
  Gears
  Hubs
  Lockers
  Steering
Body
  Body Lifts
  Consoles, Security & Storage
  Exterior Accessories
  Fender Flares
  Lighting, Lenses & Bulbs
  Roof Racks & Cargo Areas
  Tops
Engine
  Alternators
  Carburetors
  Chips
  Exhaust
  Headers
  Induction
  Internal Parts
  Motor Mounts
  Starters
  Throttle Body
Interior
  Gauges
  Misc
  Seats
Recovery
  Winch Cable and Hooks
  Winches
Suspension
  Complete Lift Kits
  Control Arms
  Shocks
  Springs
  Steering Stabilizers
  Track Bars
Tires & Wheels
  Tires
  Wheels
Transfer Case
  SYE Kits
  Transfer Cases
Transmissions
  Transmissions
Previous Product CB & HAM Radios Next Product

Kenwood TM-D700A

Email This Bookmark Print This Review      Find On: JCWhitney.com | 4wheelparts.com | 4wd.com | eBay.com
Rating:

Product Information

MSRP: $450.00
Average Price: $539.88
Manufacturer: Kenwood
Recommended?
Yes: 8 / No: 0

Dual band Ham radio, 2 Meter & 440.

Tags
None

Login or Register to Add Review

RCGJ

RCGJ's Reviews
01-13-2014, 06:19 PM
Price: $700.00
Pros: Out of the box, you can have the radio running within minutes. The Green Light Labs GPS module connects within 5 minutes and obtains a GPS lock within 30 seconds. The menus take a few minutes to get used to but they are organized very well and easy to use
Cons: You have to use the supplied CD for the operators manual. The supplied manual only gives very basic operation. The programming cable uses an RS-232 connection (who's computer has this these days). Luckily you can obtain a RS-232/USB cable but I would have preferred a USB to begin with. The programming software is not compatible wiht 64bit Windows so you basically have to use an older system to program the radio.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I actually have the newer version of this radio, TM-710a. Overall, I would rate the radio a 4.8 only because of the cons that I've listed. I've had nothing but great responses on my QSO's and the APRS operation is fantastic. I can't say anything about the programming software since I can't get it to install on my laptop but the menu functions on the radio are orgainzed very well. You can get this radio up and running wihtin 20 minutes on a repeater. You do need to consult the manual (which I had to print out since I'm using this in my car) which is a slight pain but the manual is written well and easy to follow.

streetglideok
streetglideok's Reviews
10-12-2013, 01:54 PM
Price: $519.00
Pros: This is actually the TM-D710. Fully capable dual band rig for APRS, packet and phone
Cons: Mic cord attached to radio not head.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: No option listed for the D710, which is what I installed. Supports APRS and packet, with a built in TNC. Nice large screen, more user friendly than yaesu IMO. Recommend this or its sibling the V71A.

jsmith823
jsmith823's Reviews
05-15-2013, 12:03 PM
Price: $550.00
Pros: Great dual band APRS rig, looks nice, remote head mounts under drivers seat with ease
Cons: Non I can think of, no FM tuner or AM airband caipability
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I actually have the 710, but it wasn't listed. Great radio and I have no complaints

rixoff
rixoff's Reviews
03-03-2012, 10:26 AM
Price: $600.00
Pros: APRS built in! Dual VFO works on same band
Cons: Message entry isn't the simplest - think old school text messaging.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I've actually got the D-710A here, not the D-700A. An awesome radio! The Dual VFO lets you have both on the same band at the same time - no cheap VHF on one, UHF on the other. The reason they do this is so you can have one VFO on your APRS frequency, and the other on another 2M channel.

This unit uses a remote control head. I removed the defunct 10-disc changer on my WJ and installed the radio in that well. The cover fits back over it so all wires are hidden.

To enter messages, you either use the rotary knobs on the head (which takes FOREVER) or the number keys on the included mic. You hit the number multiple times for the letter, e.g. 22 for b, 333 for f, etc. There was a hack on the D700 to hook up a PS2 keyboard, but that hasn't been done on the D710 due to a redesign of the electrical interface.

The control head is somewhat hard to give a home in the WJ. I removed the ashtray, installed a block of wood, and mounted my old radio's control head there on an old car phone handset mount. The new D710A's head wouldn't quite work that well, so I left it sitting there loose until I got around to coming up with a better mount. Unfortunately, some jerk then broke into my car and stole the control head. I still haven't replaced it yet.

The receive front end is slightly better than some other multi-band radio's I've used, but still is "ham radio" grade. In other words, you'll have to use pl tone filters in urban areas with heavy interference. I bought a dual-cavity filter which helps a bit, but still isn't perfect, and precludes the use of anything outside of the 2M and 440 bands. (Not even MARS VHF frequencies - the filter is that tight!)

Hedwig

Hedwig's Reviews

11-30-2010, 02:27 PM
Price: $500.00
Pros: I purchased the new TM-D710A for my new Jeep. It's basically the same at the D700. 1000 memory channels; cross-band features; APRS; and many more features that I'll probably seldom use. It is programmable via computer, which is "SO" nice. The control head is mounted on my dash, and the radio itself is under the passenger's seat, so the entire installation is very unobtrusive.
Cons: As stated by others, I wish the display was larger.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Fantastic radio, with more options than I'll use. Programming can be done at the panel, or via your computer (excellent feature). The control head can be separated from the radio for ease of installation.

W7NB

W7NB's Reviews
12-06-2009, 01:28 AM
Price: $400.00
Pros: Love the APRS ability
Cons: wish the display was a little bigger.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Sweet radio for the jeep! Small but full featured means it fits and does lots in a small vehicle.

EvilSpock

EvilSpock's Reviews

05-14-2008, 01:11 AM
Kenwood TM-D700A
Price: $450.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Great for APRS!
************************************************** ************************************************** **