Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Reviews > Audio, CB, & Electrical > CB & HAM Radios > Cobra - 29 LX LE 50th Anniversary CB Radio

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Cobra - 29 LX LE 50th Anniversary CB Radio Reviews, Ratings, Specs & Prices
Review Categories
Armor
  Bumpers
  Differential Guards
  Rocker Guards
  Roll Cages
  Skid Plates
Audio, CB, & Electrical
  Audio Players
  Batteries
  CB & HAM Radios
  GPS
  Speakers
Axles
  Axle Shafts
  Brakes
  Gears
  Hubs
  Lockers
  Steering
Body
  Body Lifts
  Consoles, Security & Storage
  Exterior Accessories
  Fender Flares
  Lighting, Lenses & Bulbs
  Roof Racks & Cargo Areas
  Tops
Engine
  Alternators
  Carburetors
  Chips
  Exhaust
  Headers
  Induction
  Internal Parts
  Motor Mounts
  Starters
  Throttle Body
Interior
  Gauges
  Misc
  Seats
Recovery
  Winch Cable and Hooks
  Winches
Suspension
  Complete Lift Kits
  Control Arms
  Shocks
  Springs
  Steering Stabilizers
  Track Bars
Tires & Wheels
  Tires
  Wheels
Transfer Case
  SYE Kits
  Transfer Cases
Transmissions
  Transmissions
Previous Product CB & HAM Radios Next Product

Cobra - 29 LX LE 50th Anniversary CB Radio

Email This Bookmark Print This Review      Find On: JCWhitney.com | 4wheelparts.com | 4wd.com | eBay.com
Rating:

Product Information

MSRP: $149.95
Average Price: $142.14
Manufacturer: Cobra
Recommended?
Yes: 7 / No: 0
Company Website: http://www.cobra.com/

EBAY IS WHERE YOU WILL FIND THIS RADIO / SOLD OUT ELSEWHERE

In 2010 Cobra released a special edition 50th anniversary Cobra 29 with a digital display and styling that is likely to be the future of CB radio. Initial press releases said there would only be 20,000 of these special edition radios produced but I haven't seen that figure stated again lately so maybe they changed their minds and plan to make more. I think either way we are looking at the future of Cobra 29 radios.

People usually worry when a company makes an upgrade to one of their radios. Will it have the same output? Will the audio be as good? Did they change the noise blanker? Have no fear, while the front of the radio looks vastly different from previous models the circuit board and components are virtually identical to other Cobra 29's. The adjustment points are in the same locations and the same modifications will work.

Tags
None

Login or Register to Add Review

Magnum59Ltd
Magnum59Ltd's Reviews
11-18-2012, 04:20 PM
Price: $40.00
Pros: None
Cons: None
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Great CB radio

cwinseck
cwinseck's Reviews
07-08-2012, 05:40 PM
Price: $149.99
Pros: sounds good with high volume
Cons: poormic
Recommended? Yes

Comments: soundsgood and good output an sound quality

Fuzzcheek1

Fuzzcheek1's Reviews
12-23-2011, 04:40 PM
Price: $100.00
Pros: Nice LCD display and great colors. Easy to use controls.
Cons: none really.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Right out of the box the CB needed to be adjusted because it kept giving me an ANT ERROR even though the SWR was under 2. Found a manual online to adjust the warning and all is well.

mscj5
mscj5's Reviews
09-22-2011, 02:13 PM
Price: $80.00
Pros: Best CB i have ever owned
Cons: none
Recommended? Yes

Comments: The clearity and outreach of this CB is never any different offroad than onroad.

LJUnlimited
LJUnlimited's Reviews
07-29-2011, 07:31 PM
Price: $250.00
Pros: Great custom accessory and works great.
Cons: none
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Great easy to use CB radio and a good custom piece since you can change the background color.

DasFrettchen

DasFrettchen's Reviews
03-16-2011, 09:40 PM
Price: $120.00
Pros: Very nice radio with plenty of features and easy interface. Transmissions come in clear on the built in speaker and it's great to get the NOAA weather stations
Cons: Somewhat large, can be difficult to find a place for it in the vehicle. I built an overhead rail to hang it from so this con is eliminated for me.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Great CB Radio with NOAA weather band and lots of bells and whistles.

SDphotoman

SDphotoman's Reviews
02-26-2011, 09:52 PM
Price: $255.00
Pros: The new Cobra 29 LX LE uses the same board and layout as the previous versions. This means that performance in relation to output power, modulation, and receive are very similar to previous versions. It also means that the radio can accept the same modifications as previous models. The Cobra 29 is most often modified with swing mods and those types of modifications such as the capacitor/resistor modification will work on this new model. Transmit power on this radio stock from the factory was a 3 watt carrier with modulation swing to around 10 watts. Once the modulation had been adjusted the radio had a carrier of 3 watts with swing to 15 watts. Modulation from the factory was around 85% and was easily increased to 100% by adjusting VR4 inside the radio (AMC Potentiometer) . Modulation was typical for a Cobra 29 and with the addition of a power microphone it sounded loud and clear. I compared the receive on the new LX LE with a older 29 LTD Classic I had nearby and it seemed that the receive was slightly better on the new radio but it also has slightly more hiss to it. Overall though the receive on the radio should be virtually identical to previous versions.
Cons: The knobs are black and have no reflectivity making them hard to locate in night conditions. On older Cobra's without NightWatch because the knobs were chromed they at least would reflect some light inside the vehicle so you could make a guess at which one to turn. If they had been able to do backlit knobs of some sort on this model or added the Nightwatch type feature it would have really made the radio a slam dunk.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I really like this radio for two reasons. First, Cobra finally brought their products to the 21st century with an updated design and new features. Secondly, Cobra didn't mess with a good thing when it came to making changes to the transmit and receive portions of the radio. Some people might complain that Cobra didn't make the Cobra 29 any better, they just added some bling to the radio and they might be right except for the fact that the new interface and features do improve the users experience with the radio. It's easier to see the channel display, you can adjust the color, you can scan the channels, and you can store and scan memory channels.

Now even though I found myself drawn to the new display I'd be failing my readers if I didn't point out a couple of things that drive me nuts with this radio.

The dual control knobs on this radio are awful. The volume knob is difficult to grab with your fingers and once you have a hold of it the knob is hard to turn. Same thing with the talkback knob. Now there are only two dual controls on this radio so it's not the end of the world, but the volume on/off knob was the one that really annoyed me. Maybe I just have big hands but I found it difficult to turn the radio on and off compared to previous models.

My only other real complaint is probably the bigger issue. Lack of NightWatch lighting on the control knobs make this radio hard to use in a vehicle in the dark.

The knobs are black and have no reflectivity making them hard to locate in night conditions. On older Cobra's without NightWatch because the knobs were chromed they at least would reflect some light inside the vehicle so you could make a guess at which one to turn. If they had been able to do backlit knobs of some sort on this model or added the Nightwatch type feature it would have really made the radio a slam dunk.

Overall I'm impressed and the new radio definitely has it's selling points. The more modern styling is much more suited to the newer vehicles of today and the display and features will garner more attention from those operators who like to tinker with their options. No need to add blue LED's to your Cobra 29 anymore to make it look cool, you can change colors with the touch of a button.

I'm not sure how well the menu knob will hold up over time and I'm pretty sure the display will be the first thing to go wrong if the radio is going to develop problems but only time will tell on the quality.

Big props to Cobra for taking the risk on the new technology, now if they can just make a SSB version I think they might be on to something.