Average Price $343
Manufacturer Vortex
Recommended Yes: 9 / No: 1

winch

#5 ·
Price $400
Rating 3
Recommended yes

Comments: Plenty of muscle. Easy to install. It sounds a little whiney when the motor's running, but it does the job. Overall, it's a good choice for a hefty pull on a limited budget.

#6 ·
Price $300
Rating 3
Pros "low-budget" friendly
Cons Directions definitely written by somebody not fluent in the English language. Some design issues-noted below.
Recommended yes

Comments: Out of the Box, it seems pretty hefty.
The roller fairlead relies on metal rollers with white bushings in each end. Not sure about the durability of the bushings.
After mounting the winch, I went to feed the cable through the fairlead and the crimp for the loop wouldn't fit. I had to remove a ring clip on one of the fairlead rollers to drop it down to fit the clamp of the cable through. A bit of a pain since I didn't have the proper tool for those clips.
Besides the directions requiring slight interpretation, they did not have very clear nor up-to-date pictures. I know it's pretty straightforward but when they include pictures, it would be nice to actually be able to compare what you have.

Controller-
Looks to be pretty standard. Not sure I will use the wireless remote. Kinda scares me to tell you the truth....

Solenoid-
Mounting leaves a bit to be desired. The front hooks over the front horizontal bar of the winch, while the back is straight and has 2 small screws that screw in under the rear bar of the winch. They don't actually tighten into anything other than their own bracket, they just keep things from lifting up.

Their wire routing out of the solenoid box is marginal at best. They are routed out the bottom of the box, leaving them able to rub on the winch cable. Remounting of the solenoid box will most definitely be necessary.

Wiring-
The rubber boots provided on the ends of the wires are too small and too thin. They were impossible to get over the nuts and the one for the ground wire is completely useless because there is more than one wire coming off that lug.

We'll see how it works out when I finish the wiring.

#7 ·
Price $350
Rating 3
Pros low cost
Cons Directions not very clear-look to be copies of copies. Definitely written by somebody with English as a second language.
Recommended yes

Comments: I previously posted a review in the reviews section.... Jury is still out as I haven't had any real use out of it yet.

#8 ·
Price $350
Pros wireless remote control
now I can do dit from the couch wit the tv remote
waterproof
Cons big & heavy like mudder in law
only comes in shiney silver
Recommended yes

Comments: Has worked well when needed. replaced cable with synthetic rope, to add a splash of color on an otherwise dreary front end.

#9 ·
Price $280
Rating 5
Pros cheap, powerful, wireless
Cons none
Recommended yes

Comments: this winch is probaly one of the best investment i have ever made for my jeep. its a very reliable a strong winch. its pulled everything out from a ford ranger to an f-250 and never missed a beat. its a little slow but hey thats faster than you go when your stuck. ive gotten more than my moneys worth out of this winch. The only problems i have ever had I called the custoer service and they were probably the most friendly people i have ever talked to in my life. They sent me a new motor and a new silenoid box. No questions asked. To add to everything else there from here in AMERICA.

#11 ·
Price $400
Pros 12000 lb of pulling power. Way more then my xj needs.
Cons None yet.
Recommended yes

Comments: Its been a great winch so far. Its pulled out bigger truck out of deeper holes the I ever thought it would. Its not the fastest winch but it would lift my jeep up into a tree if I wanted it too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.