Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Reviews > Recovery > Winches > Superwinch LP8500

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Superwinch LP8500 Reviews, Ratings, Specs & Prices
Review Categories
Armor
  Bumpers
  Differential Guards
  Rocker Guards
  Roll Cages
  Skid Plates
Audio, CB, & Electrical
  Audio Players
  Batteries
  CB & HAM Radios
  GPS
  Speakers
Axles
  Axle Shafts
  Brakes
  Gears
  Hubs
  Lockers
  Steering
Body
  Body Lifts
  Consoles, Security & Storage
  Exterior Accessories
  Fender Flares
  Lighting, Lenses & Bulbs
  Roof Racks & Cargo Areas
  Tops
Engine
  Alternators
  Carburetors
  Chips
  Exhaust
  Headers
  Induction
  Internal Parts
  Motor Mounts
  Starters
  Throttle Body
Interior
  Gauges
  Misc
  Seats
Recovery
  Winch Cable and Hooks
  Winches
Suspension
  Complete Lift Kits
  Control Arms
  Shocks
  Springs
  Steering Stabilizers
  Track Bars
Tires & Wheels
  Tires
  Wheels
Transfer Case
  SYE Kits
  Transfer Cases
Transmissions
  Transmissions
Previous Product Winches Next Product

Superwinch LP8500

Email This Bookmark Print This Review      Find On: JCWhitney.com | 4wheelparts.com | 4wd.com | eBay.com
Rating:

Product Information

MSRP: $450.00
Average Price: $364.65
Manufacturer: Superwinch
Recommended?
Yes: 20 / No: 0

Superwinch LP8500

Tags
None

Login or Register to Add Review

4linkYJ
4linkYJ's Reviews
02-12-2014, 07:12 PM
Price: $285.00
Pros: Great price
Cons: No cover available from Superwinch
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I've used this many times and has not let me down.

Nik-Nak

Nik-Nak's Reviews
12-06-2013, 01:28 PM
Price: $479.99
Pros: Great product for the price
Cons: none
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Very nice winch for the price. This works perfect for my 87' jeep Cherokee. Very easy to install in my JCR DYI wich bumper. Instalation is very staight forward and simple. I have used the wich a couple of times and very pleased with results.

DeansWings

DeansWings's Reviews
01-26-2013, 11:12 AM
Price: $325.00
Pros: Price, speed of shipping (I got it from Amazon in 3 days with FREE shipping)
Cons: Third party vendor did not pack mounting hardware, hardly a fault to the winch. Hawse fairlead with steel cable seems kinda fishy.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I've only used it once pulling a JK sunk to the axles out of thick mud at an odd angle. It was slow but wouldn't be stopped. I don't understand why they would include a hawse fairlead (for any other reason but to keep the price down), but I found a used roller fairlead for $50. All the hardware was loose on the winch from the packaging, but that's no big deal. Installation took me like a half hour including running the leads. No issues so far!

themoviecritic
themoviecritic's Reviews
07-13-2012, 01:36 AM
Price: $250.00
Pros: Its a superwinch
Cons: None
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Other than the rolling motor I am happy with this winch. It fit well with my LoD shorty bumper.

shiftclick

shiftclick's Reviews
08-30-2011, 11:52 PM
Price: $299.00
Pros: Very reliable thus far (25 pulls) and easy to use.
Cons: Haven't found one yet, but make sure you buy the 4 year warranty option.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: You'll like it. It's cheap, but seems fairly well made although the stickers will start to peel after less than a year of use.

calabrate2

calabrate2's Reviews
05-19-2011, 02:38 PM
Price: $360.00
Pros: Economical/ Strong/ Positive reviews
Cons: None
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Cannot speak to actual recovery use as it was installed last week. However it made light work of a few hemlocks that needed to be removed; 4 to 5 inch diameter.

jeeperjk

Web Wheeler
jeeperjk's Reviews
04-24-2011, 07:44 AM
Price: $379.00
Pros: See the review below.
Cons: It's not a Warn.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I'm running a Superwinch LP8500. I had just gotten it last year and was on my very first run @ Rausch Creek with a buddy of mine who I'd wheeled with several times. I was in my 4dr Rubi and he was in his 2dr Rubi. Both built about the same... 3" lifts, 35" tires, mine practically new MT/R Kevlars, his very, very worn (i.e. 50k miles worth of wear) TSLs.

Well, we were there on a Monday in March. Trails covered with ~1' of snow and we were the only Jeeps in the park + 1 other Jeeper that we had with us. The other guy was in a mildly built 2dr X with a Smittybilt XRC8. So, we get down to the lower part of the park, I think we were down around 13 or 14, or something in that area. Anyway, I was in the lead and I went up this little (barely) hill that didn't even really warrant an effort. If you look at it without snow, it's practically flat, I mean it's on a hill, but there are no ruts or anything to slow/challenge you. Well, I walked up this hill and went up to the top and parked to wait on my buddy and the other guy to come up. My passenger and I were out of my Jeep watching my buddy try to make it up this hill. He tried and tried what must've been like 6-8 times, but just couldn't make it. Seems he had enough tread on his tires for highway driving 'cause of the tread blocks that run down the middle of the TSLs, but there wasn't enough tread to manage even a slight hill with the added 1' of snow on it.

Well, my buddy back down to the bottom of this hill and got out. I saw him opening his hood, so I yelled to see if he needed help. No sooner did I yell than he propped his hood and I saw a flame shoot up over the top of the propped hood. My passenger and I took off running down to the Jeep as it sat there in flames. My buddy, my passenger, the other guy, and I all started throwing snow on the first to get it to go out (lesson learned and I bought a small fire extinguisher the next week). The other Jeeper even broke out his 1/2 gallon of tea and squirted on it to put out the fire.

Luckily, we got the fire out and the Jeep did not go up in flames, but that presented us with a new problem. Now, the Jeep wouldn't start again due to the electricals and fuel lines, etc being burned up. So, what did we do? We winched. Then we winched, then we winched some more, then we pulled a little, then we winched some more.

We winched him 3 full length pulls with my winch to get him up to trail H (I think), then I hooked up two tow straps to him and pulled him as far as I could until the hill in front of us got too steep and I couldn't pull anymore. Then, what did I do? I went up, turned around, and drove back down to winch some more.

All in all, I winched a good 12-15 FULL length pulls (some with two 20' straps on the end to lengthen the pulls) and the other guy swapped out with me when my winch seemed to be heating up and pulled 3-4 pulls. I think he probably had a good 8-10 pulls himself.

When the trail leveled out a bit, we'd try to pull for a little ways. I think we probably had 25-30 combined full length winch pulls and 3-4 good long pulls with the Jeep.

I learned a couple things that day.
Always carry a fire extinguisher when wheeling
A 4dr JK will have its (proverbial) hands full trying to tow a 4,000+ lb JK up a snow covered hill, but it'll do it like a champ! With ZERO breakages, might I add
An 8000-8500 lb winch is enough to do the job for our purposes
Oh, yeah, and it takes 9 1/2 hours to pull a dead JK outta the bottom of that valley to the top of the hill nearest the main road. I can only imagine how long it'd have taken us to pull him all the way back up E to B or C or whatever would've gotten us to the parking lot.

We affectionately refer to that day as Winchfest 2010.

southerngirl
southerngirl's Reviews
11-08-2010, 06:51 AM
Price: $369.00
Pros: Never failed on me.
Cons: None so far.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: My superwinch lp8500 looks very good sitting with my stock bumper, adds a little bit of style and a lot of functionality in one quick easy mod. Bought it off amazon and shipped for FREE! And was priced $20 cheaper than q-tec.

-BeNt-
-BeNt-'s Reviews
03-07-2010, 05:52 AM
Price: $299.99
Pros: Strong winch, good line speed, cheap price. Controller is rubber covered versus plastic unlike on other winches for the price.
Cons: Doesn't come with roller fair-lead or in-cab control option. But can't complain for the price.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Can't complain at all about this winch. It is super strong, 8500lbs. Has excellent speed considering it's an "entry level" winch. The only negative I can think of about the winch is the solenoids aren't in a water tight box which could be a problem with high water crossings, but shouldn't be an issue with regular use and washing.

The fair-lead that comes with the winch is just the regular non-roller opening. Isn't too much of an issue considering the price of a better option and the price of the winch. As of right now the price has dropped in a few select locations from $549 down to $299 or $399 depending on where you look. Very good bang for the buck!

The controller is very sturdy with plenty of wire, 15 foot, and is rubber coated which you won't find on similarly priced winches. Comes with all the heavy duty wiring required for installation, but the manual isn't very clear. Not an issue with some common sense and a bit of forum reading.

In the end, I'm extremely happy with my purchase and I know it will serve we well for the trails, and years, to come.

ritjobbie

ritjobbie's Reviews
01-09-2010, 11:50 PM
Price: $399.00
Pros: Serious winch at an entry-level price.
Cons: Roller fairlead would be nice.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I've put this winch through its paces in the mud. I had it overheat a few times, but it just turns off for a minute or so and then starts working again. I was in thick mud deeper than my 33" tires. Once I got close enough to a tree for a snatch block, everything was groovy.

The solenoid box is a little flimsy, but the solenoidS (yes, there are TWO; if one dies you can still use the winch with some minor rewiring) are waterproof so it's pretty much for show anyways (and so you don't get shocked). The remote has a good length cable on it and the remote connection is easy to take apart on the winch if you want to make an in-cab control instead of buying one.

I've had my LP8500 for almost a year in upstate NY and it hasn't shown any signs of rust. One of the Superwinch stickers on the case is quite faded, but who cares.

For the money, you really can't go wrong. Bought from Rokmen, awesome place to do business.

TJftw

TJftw's Reviews

02-28-2009, 01:31 AM
Superwinch LP8500
Price: $450.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Good So far only used a few times, winch cover is a must as some parts will rust.

Julien_04_TJ
Julien_04_TJ's Reviews

02-17-2009, 07:47 AM
Superwinch LP8500
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Got this as a Christmas Present and have used it a couple of times. At first, it was hard to pull out the free spool, but after 3-4 uses, it is getting easier.

rubijksilver
rubijksilver's Reviews

01-04-2009, 08:32 PM
Superwinch LP8500
Price: $399.99
Recommended? Yes

Comments: So far so good i have not got it on yet still sitting in the box. will update when i get it on and get to use it

hendroxy
hendroxy's Reviews

11-22-2008, 12:54 AM
Superwinch LP8500
Price: $425.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: On It's Way!

tuckertj

tuckertj's Reviews

11-16-2008, 11:36 PM
Superwinch LP8500
Recommended? Yes

Comments: So far so good, for the price I paid and the few times its got me un-stuck money will spent.

dusty_usmc
dusty_usmc's Reviews

11-13-2008, 11:22 PM
Superwinch LP8500
Price: $400.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: winch works great. I have no problems with it whatsoever. Pulled me out of one hairy situation and a friend of mine out of two. Would reccommend it to anyone looking for a good, affordable winch. Only thing I would change is getting a roller fairlead as opposed to a hawse fairlead which is coming with the next paycheck.

64Jeeper
64Jeeper's Reviews

11-07-2008, 06:40 AM
Superwinch LP8500
Price: $150.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Mine is actually the 8500lb Husky, but there was no selection for that, so I picked LP8500. Got the winch used from craigslist.

JamJeeper05
JamJeeper05's Reviews

10-03-2008, 09:04 AM
Superwinch LP8500
Price: $375.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I lov this thing. its easy to work, hasnt had any trouble, the one time ive had to use it.

Kpat
Kpat's Reviews

09-16-2008, 12:09 AM
Superwinch LP8500
Price: $450.00
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Good winch.
Faded from sun very quickly.
The cable was not spooled correctly from manufacturer resulting in crimping of the line.

rooster5333

rooster5333's Reviews

04-29-2008, 12:16 PM
Superwinch LP8500
Recommended? Yes

Comments: The winch is awesome and installation was a breeze. The only downside is it didnt come with a roller fairlead and Superwinch wants 100. for it. So I went with a Venom roller fairlead