Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Reviews > Recovery > Winches > Smittybilt XRC8

1 Ton Heavy Duty Steering Upgrade Kit. New and Improved dStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Smittybilt XRC8 Reviews, Ratings, Specs & Prices
Review Categories
Armor
  Bumpers
  Differential Guards
  Rocker Guards
  Roll Cages
  Skid Plates
Audio, CB, & Electrical
  Audio Players
  Batteries
  CB & HAM Radios
  GPS
  Speakers
Axles
  Axle Shafts
  Brakes
  Gears
  Hubs
  Lockers
  Steering
Body
  Body Lifts
  Consoles, Security & Storage
  Exterior Accessories
  Fender Flares
  Lighting, Lenses & Bulbs
  Roof Racks & Cargo Areas
  Tops
Engine
  Alternators
  Carburetors
  Chips
  Exhaust
  Headers
  Induction
  Internal Parts
  Motor Mounts
  Starters
  Throttle Body
Interior
  Gauges
  Misc
  Seats
Recovery
  Winch Cable and Hooks
  Winches
Suspension
  Complete Lift Kits
  Control Arms
  Shocks
  Springs
  Steering Stabilizers
  Track Bars
Tires & Wheels
  Tires
  Wheels
Transfer Case
  SYE Kits
  Transfer Cases
Transmissions
  Transmissions
Previous Product Winches Next Product

Smittybilt XRC8

Email This Bookmark Print This Review      Find On: JCWhitney.com | 4wheelparts.com | 4wd.com | eBay.com
Rating:

Product Information

Average Price: $308.38
Manufacturer: Smittybilt
Recommended?
Yes: 65 / No: 1

I tested the smittybilt xrc8 out tonite, i had my jeep in park and a buddy inside with his foot on the brake, it pulled it with no problems, cant wait to get out on the trail and give it a good test.

Tags
None

Login or Register to Add Review
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 > Last

acascella
acascella's Reviews
05-29-2014, 11:03 PM
Price: $299.99
Pros: Fit perfect on my Smittybuilt XRC front bumper and have used it for self recovery, helping others and even pulling out giant trees and it works like a charm.
Cons: wish i would have gotten it with synthetic rope off the start
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Would recommend this product to anyone works like a charm and have had nothing wrong with it since i bought it.

Mporter22
Mporter22's Reviews

09-13-2013, 09:18 PM
Price: $500.00
Pros: Light, Heavy duty, good buy for the price
Cons: none
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I bought the comp series and I'm glad I ponied up the extra money because the weight difference alone is amazing. Very happy with it

atldude

atldude's Reviews
09-12-2013, 08:54 PM
Price: $300.00
Pros: Looks good does the job
Cons: None so far
Recommended? Yes

Comments: All in all good reasonably priced winch

BABrax
BABrax's Reviews
08-23-2013, 10:55 PM
Price: $200.00
Pros: Great product, looks great, fairly easy install.
Cons: heavy and cumbersome, definitely a two person job to install
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I bought this in July 2013 and it was one of my favorite purchases. Completely changes the look of your jeep and completes the "Rugged" look for at least the bumper. Never had any issues with it and it is very dependable, and for a great price! Hard to pass on it, but i would definitely recommend it.

tytrev

tytrev's Reviews
08-08-2013, 08:51 PM
Price: $400.00
Pros: Price, price, and price.
Cons: None so far
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Got the X2O model that is waterproof. A year of washing, rain, and a deep water crossing and it has performed as advertised.

theremikegoes
theremikegoes's Reviews
12-31-2012, 03:06 PM
Price: $275.00
Pros: cheap, decent reviews, havent used much
Cons: cant comment yet
Recommended? Yes

Comments: cant comment yet

bigo1
bigo1's Reviews
10-14-2012, 09:34 AM
Price: $299.00
Pros: Easy to use! Small but affordable
Cons: Bulky
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Just wanted a recovey system that would work when i needed it .Works in a pinch.

cavscout187

cavscout187's Reviews
07-14-2012, 11:07 PM
Price: $450.00
Pros: does its job
Cons: its from 4wheel parts
Recommended? Yes

Comments: other then the fact that it is from fourwheelparts it works and does its job and as it is something i dont plan on using very often it should last pretty well if it were something that i was going to use i think i would rather have gone with the warn but i would rather take the money i saved and put it toward my v8 swap or the long arm i want

jrayzhunter
jrayzhunter's Reviews
06-20-2012, 11:25 AM
Pros: Easy to Operate Reliable Easy Installation
Cons: Controller Cable needs to be longer
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Only had it a couple of times wheeling but so far the winch has worked great! Got me out of two mud holes and my buddy's car out of a ditch. Definitely reliable for the price. I would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a winch for a price that is easier on the wallet.

jrayzhunter
jrayzhunter's Reviews
06-20-2012, 11:16 AM
Pros: Easy to Install Easy to Operate Reliable
Cons: Controller cable too short
Recommended? Yes

Comments: So far it has worked great! Got me out of two mud holes no problem. Also pulled a friend's car out of a ditch with great ease. Only thing I would want to change is having a longer controller cable so it's easier to operate while in the jeep.

FC2TurboMSS

FC2TurboMSS's Reviews
03-11-2012, 05:59 AM
Pros: Price
Cons: line speed not the fastest in the industry
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Very clear wiring instructions
Installation instructions non-existent. probably due to the fact it can be mounted in several different ways based on application. Its still fairly straight forward. 4 mounting bolts for the winch itself, 2 mounting bolts for the roller fairlead.
A word of caution; depending on your application and winch bumper type, mount the roller fairlead first. I mounted the winch first, only to realize later that with the winch mounted on my RR XHD winch bumper, it is not possible to fit the roller fairlead mounting bolts in place for mounting the fairlead. Other than that, the install was pretty simple and took me 2 hours from box to operational test.

mikesloudjeep

mikesloudjeep's Reviews
02-11-2012, 10:03 PM
Pros: Look, it's a 8000 lb winch for a great price.
Cons: It was heavy to carry...
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I don't rate anything 5 star. This came just as said. And carries 8000lbs. I can pull my jeep up a darn tree. On a final note, if you happen to be stuck and I have been off road for 14 years. You were trying to get stuck. In my Jeep I make a try almosy every time trail riding. And needed my winch one time! I really did'nt even use it my buddy gave me a quick tug and I was free. But honestly here. It is a 8000 lb friggin winch. And more so HAS PARTS AVAILABLE!! And comes with a part break down with instruction. Great buy here. Get one. The only bad reply I read was how to wire the cables. AND FOR THE LOVE OF PERE THEY COME COLORED AND LABELED A,B,C,D ECT!!! Power, ground, ect. WOW! What Ace jack wrote that reply is beyond me. He might be that guy on face book with his hand caught in the cable... Mad Mike

bashepard

bashepard's Reviews
02-08-2012, 10:11 PM
Price: $245.00
Pros: Simple install. Pulls hard.
Cons: none yet
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Installed simply paired with the smittybilt winch plate. Ive used it to pull jeeps out of the muudd sunken to the frame. My first winch but seems great.

Co0kieMoBster

Co0kieMoBster's Reviews
01-15-2012, 04:29 PM
Pros: looks good on their XRC Bumpers!
Cons: none so far
Recommended? Yes

Comments: haven't used it yet but it looks good. Will go out on the trail and try to get stuck now that I have the 33" tires to test out!

dwbrown

dwbrown's Reviews
10-25-2011, 09:38 PM
Pros: cheap
Cons: Paint on outside faded fast.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I bought this winch because it fell in my budget well at the time. I've had no problems with it so far. Its pulled my Jeep out of mud a few times and did fine. The quality of the paint and stickers on the outside is crap within a few days its started to fade to grey.

denso
denso's Reviews
10-19-2011, 12:50 AM
Pros: not oversized,doesnt weigh much,85lbs
Recommended? Yes

Comments: liked the fact it wouldnt drag my front suspension down...with the mount which is a rc-1049 it weighs about 55lbs plus the winch weight 85lbs it only dropped 3/8 of an inch!did before and after measurements!you can mount lights in the roller fairlead there are holes already there for that too!

b1gKahunaBurger
b1gKahunaBurger's Reviews
10-13-2011, 09:25 PM
Price: $250.00
Pros: cheap, reliable, looks sexy
Recommended? Yes

Comments: its very powerful and reliable when needed and it lookes really good

JohnyJeep

JohnyJeep's Reviews
09-12-2011, 09:09 PM
Pros: Price, Load rating
Cons: stainless rusts fast
Recommended? Yes

Comments: So far not a bad thing to really complain about, minus the lever has some rust on it, "nothing a little naval jelly or rust remover couldnt take care of.

At roughly 300$ its hard to beat a 8000lb winch. Ive read a lot of mixed reviews on it, so far it seems ultra cold weather is its real weakness?? If anyone has had any other issues let me know. Other wise as long as it holds up im happy with it!

TJDaveX

Motorized Toy Collector
TJDaveX's Reviews

09-03-2011, 11:21 AM
Pros: Low price
Cons: Slow. Hard to free spool when new. Cheap plastic solonoid box.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I bought my 2nd Gen Smitty Xrc8 winch about 3 years ago. It is a good entry level winch. I could not afford a Warn at the time. I have used mine fairly heavy for three years without any major problems. Lots of pulls on snow runs each winter. It finally gave out on me on my latest trip. Luckily, I was not on a trail where I really needed it. I was just pulling a small log onto the trail to cut for firewood. I am not sure what is wrong with it, it will not spool in anymore....just grinds. I'll attempt to fix it if possible, then sell it. I definately got my $299.00 out of it, so no regrets. I replaced the Smitty with a used Warn xd9000i I bought from a friend for $400.00.
Even though the Xrc8 died on me, I still hit the "yes" on the recommend box. It is a good entry level winch. With a few new internal parts, it may come back to life again.

nbrabham
nbrabham's Reviews
08-10-2011, 05:47 PM
Pros: Cheap. Effective. Long cable for remote. Easy to install.
Cons: When remote goes out, so does the winch.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I pulled a few people out of the sand on the 4th of July, and the take up on my winch wouldn't work. I had to spool it in by hand

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 > Last