Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Reviews > Recovery > Winches > Smittybilt XRC8

Custom Axle Work at CCORRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Swag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear Bumper

Smittybilt XRC8 Reviews, Ratings, Specs & Prices
Review Categories
Armor
  Bumpers
  Differential Guards
  Rocker Guards
  Roll Cages
  Skid Plates
Audio, CB, & Electrical
  Audio Players
  Batteries
  CB & HAM Radios
  GPS
  Speakers
Axles
  Axle Shafts
  Brakes
  Gears
  Hubs
  Lockers
  Steering
Body
  Body Lifts
  Consoles, Security & Storage
  Exterior Accessories
  Fender Flares
  Lighting, Lenses & Bulbs
  Roof Racks & Cargo Areas
  Tops
Engine
  Alternators
  Carburetors
  Chips
  Exhaust
  Headers
  Induction
  Internal Parts
  Motor Mounts
  Starters
  Throttle Body
Interior
  Gauges
  Misc
  Seats
Recovery
  Winch Cable and Hooks
  Winches
Suspension
  Complete Lift Kits
  Control Arms
  Shocks
  Springs
  Steering Stabilizers
  Track Bars
Tires & Wheels
  Tires
  Wheels
Transfer Case
  SYE Kits
  Transfer Cases
Transmissions
  Transmissions
Previous Product Winches Next Product

Smittybilt XRC8

Email This Bookmark Print This Review      Find On: JCWhitney.com | 4wheelparts.com | 4wd.com | eBay.com
Rating:

Product Information

MSRP: $550.00
Average Price: $321.43
Manufacturer: Smittybilt
Recommended?
Yes: 63 / No: 3

8000lb winch

Tags
None

Login or Register to Add Review
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 > Last

BlackJeep2013
BlackJeep2013's Reviews
01-29-2014, 07:11 PM
Price: $400.00
Pros: Easy Install
Cons: None yet have yet to use it.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I like it so far but haven't needed to use it yet

TJDaveX

Motorized Toy Collector
TJDaveX's Reviews

08-28-2013, 10:09 AM
Price: $299.00
Pros: Price
Cons: Hard to free spool line out. High current draw. Slow. Loud. Cheap plastic solenoid cover.
Recommended? No

Comments: Bought the new 5 HP series wound version. It worked for less than two years before it gave out on me. I did not bother fixing it due to the poor performance when it did work. I wouldn't even call it a good entry level winch. Beginners especially need something they can rely on to get them out of trouble. This winch is not it.

14chavez
14chavez's Reviews
08-19-2013, 11:51 PM
Price: $400.00
Pros: It works pretty well.
Cons: Not fast
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Its the first winch that the jeep has. I've never personal had to pull my self out but more so of me pulling other people out. It comes in handing and is out of the way compare to a tow strap.

Weetay1
Weetay1's Reviews
03-19-2013, 07:57 PM
Price: $700.00
Pros: anphibious
Cons: none yet
Recommended? Yes

Comments: My actual model is SmittyBuilt X2O 8000... but it wasnt listed in the drop down

turbonusse2

turbonusse2's Reviews
01-17-2013, 07:39 PM
Price: $300.00
Pros: reliable winch
Cons: slow and loud, cheap grease
Recommended? Yes

Comments: this is a good winch for a starter winch. i would recommend getting synthetic line instead of a steel cable. it would also be good to rebuild the winch and use fully synthetic grease. as long as you can get the parts clean the synthetic grease will make it free spool nice and you can silicone the parts to prevent water from getting in.

DNance1
DNance1's Reviews
10-19-2012, 01:22 PM
Price: $550.00
Pros: 
Cons: 
Recommended? Yes

Comments:

XxWranglerTJxX
XxWranglerTJxX's Reviews
08-11-2012, 08:33 PM
Price: $270.00
Pros: good price, works great.
Cons: none so far.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: first winch I've ever bought but seems to be good quality.

Diggercole
Diggercole's Reviews
05-03-2012, 07:33 AM
Price: $350.00
Pros: The Price
Cons: None yet
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I have an 8k winch on a 4Door JK. It does the job! Alot of people go for the highest pulling weight (thats fine) but if you are looking for a winch that will not cost you a Kidney, is made in America and will get the job done every time get it..

billzcat1
Chicken in a Turkey Suit
billzcat1's Reviews
04-28-2012, 01:03 AM
Pros: Inexpensive, functions well
Cons: Slow, high current draw, heavy
Recommended? Yes

Comments: What's to say? The Smittybilt XRC8 is the "fan favorite" budget winch. It's always performed when I need it, although the line speed is a little slow. The current draw is high but no more so than expected for an 8000lb winch.

The only real downside is that it is very heavy and I have it set up in a Multi-Mount cradle. The assembly is 110lbs and can be tricky to get mounted. Other than that I have no complaints.

mikesloudjeep

mikesloudjeep's Reviews
02-01-2012, 09:20 PM
Price: $298.00
Pros: Great price with warranty and available parts for rebuild.
Cons: None for the avid weekend user.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: First off I trail every weekend I'm not a boulevard Jeeper. So I looked into Warn and other big names. This winch had the same 8000lb rate to it. But more so had replacement parts available. More so however. I've had water in the Jeep up to my mid section and realized I've only ever been stuck one time in a year! That was to my own direct stupidity. I knew I was going to get stuck. No doubt did it on purpose. So I decided to get the xrc 8 for "casual use" and have made a great choice. Easy install everything from the start to finish is labeled and color coded and "Lettered" a-d ect. You can't screw this up. Super winch. If you live in Alaska or need to pull up a 100 foot Mountain you might want a back up. But the mitty will do it anyways. Well, for the record it'll pull you up anyways. Over twice the weight pull....

Flyboy161

Flyboy161's Reviews
12-23-2011, 07:55 PM
Price: $264.00
Pros: Inexpensive, easy installation, great insurance
Cons: None
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I bought this online shipped to my door for 264.00! The directions were straightforward and all hardware was included. I just wish the directions showed how to mount the relay box. I figured it out, but I'm just saying...

W2001J
W2001J's Reviews
09-21-2011, 02:45 AM
Price: $299.99
Pros: Cheap, east to install.
Cons: Already fried my first one and I am on to my second one. Warranty replacement.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: This is a good starter winch. Maybe I had bad luck with the first one.

williamellison
williamellison's Reviews
06-21-2011, 12:17 AM
Pros: Looks great, performes great, great price
Cons: Slow recovery rate
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Pretty sweet for the price. A must for the casual/cheap off roader

Muddeprived

Muddeprived's Reviews

06-01-2011, 12:44 PM
Pros: Pulls hard and fast.
Cons: lever is weak
Recommended? No

Comments: I've had this on the front of my xj for a good two or three years now. It has not failed me when I used it until yesterday when the lever just popped off in my hand for some reason. I put it back in the hole but couldn't get it in gear. I heard this was a common issue with the winch so I'm currently emailing 4wd about this. I have the extreme warranty.

mrmark

mrmark's Reviews

05-02-2011, 07:58 AM
Pros: strong power
Cons: poor lever design to engage/free spool, controller is cheap (2 broke already),
Recommended? No

Comments: I have had this since Jan. (4 months). I got the first one and the and the "shift" lever was jammed (took 5 minutes to get in to engage not good when stuck in the mud) and I took it back to replace the entire winch.

Then next time I used it the cable with controller broke and wouldn't unwind the winch (not a huge problem as you can free spool it out) They sent me a new one with out any questions.

The same issue with the controlled occurred a second time (still waiting to talk to them about a new one)

Then the bolt that hold the cable to the winch disappeared and the cable came free from the spool. Creating all kinds of winching issues on while out in the mud since the end was flapping all over the place and creating a binding issue with the outer housing supports. Smittybilt says they don't have a screw to put in at this time. So go to the hardware store and buy what the guy at Smittybilt told me would fit. I take off the cable and and don't find anyway to reattach the cable with what the guy said. It appears that the bolt has sheared off and there is no way to attach it.

Nothing but problems with this brand winch. Yes, it can pull it's weight when it works right but if you plan on really using it I would upgrade to a better quality. It sucks to be out there and you look like a fool because your winch is a POS, and you can't get out because your POS is broken.

I guess if you are doing a little pulling and not really using it a lot it's very good, but doesn't stand up to real use.

I am going to buy me a Warn the next chance I get. Probably today since the POS I have is broken!!!!!!!!!!

Tagal
Tagal's Reviews
04-19-2011, 09:32 PM
Pros: easy to install
Cons: none
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I haven't really had to use this much but i have tested it and it doesn't seem to have many weaknesses.

Beefalobart
Beefalobart's Reviews
02-11-2011, 01:11 AM
Pros: Cheap, dependable, reliable
Cons: weak engage lever
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I had a problem with the engage/freespool lever in which the roll pin inside snapped. I purchased it from 4wd with the extended waranty and they did not send an exact replacment but instead shipped me an upgraded thicker and stronger part which to this day has not failed yet. This is the BEST winch for the money and then some. Good speed and pulls very good.

oldmanron
oldmanron's Reviews
02-01-2011, 07:44 AM
Pros: inexpensive insurance
Cons: gets hot with use! For intermittent use only
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I have not used this winch much, but when I have it gets hot pretty quick. I have had a Warn in the past, and it did not do this. I would say it's OK for light intermittent use, but if I was going to do a lot of sustained winching, I would spend the extra money for a Warn. If you are looking for cheap insurance for that occasional extraction, this is a good buy. The fit and finish is OK, and it mounts up easily. Does not add a ton of weight to the front bumper

sandandson
sandandson's Reviews
01-22-2011, 12:33 PM
Pros: cheap, easy install
Cons: None yet
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Used it a few times, never had an issue. Be sure to pick up a yellow top or other deep cycle battery if you get a winch

Ef4life
Ef4life's Reviews
12-26-2010, 11:49 AM
Price: $450.00
Pros: Synthetic line, price
Cons: Not a warn, but still a nice winch
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I'm just going to say I like it so far, never had to use it on the trail yet, but it's very easy to hook up for a newb that never used a winch before. Everything is labeled A B C D to keep it simple.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 > Last