Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Reviews > Recovery > Winches > SmittyBilt XRC 8 Winch

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

SmittyBilt XRC 8 Winch Reviews, Ratings, Specs & Prices
Review Categories
Armor
  Bumpers
  Differential Guards
  Rocker Guards
  Roll Cages
  Skid Plates
Audio, CB, & Electrical
  Audio Players
  Batteries
  CB & HAM Radios
  GPS
  Speakers
Axles
  Axle Shafts
  Brakes
  Gears
  Hubs
  Lockers
  Steering
Body
  Body Lifts
  Consoles, Security & Storage
  Exterior Accessories
  Fender Flares
  Lighting, Lenses & Bulbs
  Roof Racks & Cargo Areas
  Tops
Engine
  Alternators
  Carburetors
  Chips
  Exhaust
  Headers
  Induction
  Internal Parts
  Motor Mounts
  Starters
  Throttle Body
Interior
  Gauges
  Misc
  Seats
Recovery
  Winch Cable and Hooks
  Winches
Suspension
  Complete Lift Kits
  Control Arms
  Shocks
  Springs
  Steering Stabilizers
  Track Bars
Tires & Wheels
  Tires
  Wheels
Transfer Case
  SYE Kits
  Transfer Cases
Transmissions
  Transmissions
Previous Product Winches Next Product

SmittyBilt XRC 8 Winch

Email This Bookmark Print This Review      Find On: JCWhitney.com | 4wheelparts.com | 4wd.com | eBay.com
Rating:

Product Information

MSRP: $900.00
Average Price: $306.63
Manufacturer: SmittyBilt
Recommended?
Yes: 275 / No: 9

Direct from 4wd.com:

The NEW Smittybilt XRC8 8,000lb winch has a hand wound permanent magnetic motor which is the standard for the true off Roader. This is the most reliable motor on the market today. Two Year Limited Warranty, 4.1 hp motor, 3-stage planetary gear system, 265:1 reduction ratio for fast line speed, free spooling, automatic load-holding brake, power in and out and a roller fairlead. A 12 ft illuminated handheld remote control,. Comes with a 5/16" x 92 galvanized aircraft cable with replaceable hook. Mounting bolt pattern: 10" x 4.5", OAL Dim. 21" x 6.22" x 7.283". This item incurs a $19.99 shipping surcharge.

-Rated line pull: 8,000 lbs. (3629 kg) single line
-Gear train: planetary gear system
-Gear ratio: 265:1
-Motor (permanent magnet): 4.1 hp (3kw), 12volt

Tags
None

Login or Register to Add Review
Page 6 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 > Last

tater_kamik
tater_kamik's Reviews
06-22-2010, 03:48 PM
Price: $350.00
Pros: cheap and it works
Cons: none so far
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Has pulled my jeep out twice so far. no complaints yet.

AWBFISHING
AWBFISHING's Reviews
06-21-2010, 09:52 AM
Price: $300.00
Pros: I HAVE PULL MYSELF AND MANY FRIENDS OUT OF MUD HOLES WITH THIS WINCH.
Cons: DOES NOT COME WITH WINCH COVER OR PLATE
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I HAVE PULL MYSELF AND MANY FRIENDS OUT OF MUD HOLES WITH THIS WINCH. IT IS A MIDDLE OF THE ROAD AND WHAT I MEAN IS IT'S NOT THE BEST ONE OUT THERE OR THE WORST ONE. I HAVE NOT GOTTEN STUCK YET AFTER PUTTING THIS ON MY JEEP. A GOOD ALL AROUND WINCH.

sloan74
sloan74's Reviews
06-10-2010, 09:44 AM
Price: $299.00
Pros: What I can say that others have not, for the price this is the best 8000lb winch out there....
Cons: None
Recommended? Yes

Comments: EDIT: DO NOT BUY THIS IF YOU PLAN TO HEAVY MUD AND WATER UNLESS YOUR READY TO MOD IT!!!

Problems I have run into:

The remote control/connector is garbage. They are not water proof. Head over to roadlessgear.com and pick up a wireless remote asap. I also picked up a dashboard switch just in case.

The gear casing is not water proof. When you buy this winch, remove all the small hex bolts with the small wrench they give you and take out the gears and re-grease with some good water proof grease. I use Mobile 1 Synthetic from autozone.

If you have the money and time you might want to consider moving the electronics inside the engine compartment. Esp if you know for sure your gonna bring it under water. This is an easy mod but the wires to extend it could be a bit pricey. It's a must if your water bogging.

Other than that for 300 bucks this motor/cable/hook can pull a LOT of stuff out of the mud. So I give it a good rating. Just be sure to do what I listed or your gonna be stranded in 3 feet of water/mud like I was for 2 hours waiting on a pull out....

Fireman4X4

Fireman4X4's Reviews
05-18-2010, 07:07 PM
Pros: Easy to install and use.
Cons: Not many installation instructions
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Just got this and it only took an hour to install. Haven't had a chance to use it yet, but that time will come soon enough.

slpv09
slpv09's Reviews
05-11-2010, 10:11 PM
Pros: cheap works great does what i need
Cons: slow
Recommended? Yes

Comments: its slow bnut it get the job done

provinT13

provinT13's Reviews

05-02-2010, 03:07 PM
Price: $299.99
Pros: Strong, reliable, low in cost, easy to install, easy to use
Cons: Hard to pull in free spool, but this is the only winch I've used so I'm not sure how others are to free spool
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I've had my xrc8 for about 2 years now and I love it. I've used it at least a dozen times in many different conditions and it has never failed me or given me any problems. It's sad to see people knocking this product because of the false sense of quality that is created by manufacturers prices and reputation. Just because it doesn't cost $800 doesn't mean it's crappy. I would recommend this winch to anyone that's not looking to drop a grand on a winch but want something that will work every time and pull them up and out of any situation.

rh24012
rh24012's Reviews

04-26-2010, 11:23 PM
Price: $284.00
Pros: IT WORKS JUST LIKE THEY SAID IT WOULD !!!!
Cons: NONE
Recommended? Yes

Comments: 20 below zero with a 50 mile a hour wind
pulled two vehicles strapped together
out of a 4 foot snow drift using all of the
cable plus 75 foot of straps what a mother
and not a problem.

Trite

Trite's Reviews

04-22-2010, 09:00 PM
Pros: Dependable product with customer service to back it up
Cons: Pulls every aching amp out of your battery! It is good practice to winch in spurts, never should you hold down on the button. If so you WILL burn a hole in your battery! (As with any electric winch on the market)
Recommended? Yes

Comments: This winch has pulled me out of holes that have eaten my jeep up to the hood. Never have I had any issues with the product itself. I did, however, have a learning experience when I mashed the button and waited until it pulled me out of a hole. By doing so I melted a hole threw my stock battery when the battery terminals got so hot they melted the led.

Later my planetary gears failed because I had over worked them that vary same day, this was a novice move and I learned from it. I called customer service and explained what had happened, and free of charge they sent a new planetary gear and all the wiring needed to fix the product.

Mr-Rock

Mr-Rock's Reviews

04-21-2010, 06:47 PM
Pros: Great winch for the price!
Cons: A little slow but never let me down!
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I've had this winch for about a year now and used it more times than I can remember. Once I pulled out two full size Dodge pickups one a 1500 and one extended 2500. Took me a while and I had to tie myself to a tree but I got them both out with my little YJ!!

I did break the clutch lever ( someone tried to move it with their foot). Called SmittyBuilt and with no questions asked and no money needed, they sent me out a handle kit along with a new side cover!

Got to love a company that stands behind their product!

Way to go SmittyBuilt!!

hotelconucc93

hotelconucc93's Reviews
04-20-2010, 09:48 PM
Pros: price versus competition
Cons: heard that daystar isolator does not work with fairlead...
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Got here in one piece and fast. 299 and free shipping and free cover. Better price than warn, and decent.

tjFREEDOMjeep
tjFREEDOMjeep's Reviews

04-14-2010, 11:55 PM
Price: $360.00
Pros: great price great pulling power no problems
Cons: lil slower than the other expensive brands but who cares as long as it gets you home
Recommended? Yes

Comments: i have had this winch for 2 months now and i have over 16 pulls on it. i pulled and 85 K5 BLAZER on 38's out on the beach and that was enough to prove that i need nothing more. i have full confidence that this winch will last for years and bring me and my friends home when needed. buy with confidence

spietrzak
spietrzak's Reviews
04-13-2010, 11:54 AM
Price: $549.00
Pros: has pulled out anything in its wieght class no hesitation. very strong motor
Cons: requires a minimum of 660 cca to run to 8000 lbs. recommend optima cold 800 battery
Recommended? Yes

Comments: its a strong pulling winch. just the required cold cranking amps is complicated but just get you a optima battery

cheapjeep71
cheapjeep71's Reviews
04-05-2010, 10:24 PM
Pros: Inexpensive entry price
Cons: Haven't found any yet.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: You cannot beat the price for an entry-level winch. I know some have had problems with these in the past. I have made some hard pulls with mine already & has worked flawlesly.

JohnyPro

JohnyPro's Reviews
04-04-2010, 01:16 PM
Price: $299.99
Pros: strong and dependable, CS - answered within minutes of being on hold!
Cons: slow and few instructions on bolt/washer ass'y. Needed to call CS - thy were great!
Recommended? Yes

Comments: It was a pretty self explanatory install, just needed to double check on the location of the lock washers. Broke a bolt during install, so I replaced all 4 mounting bolts with grade 8 hardware, no issues after that!

frankul2003
frankul2003's Reviews
04-01-2010, 01:34 PM
Pros: awesome
Cons: none
Recommended? Yes

Comments: cool simple good strong

crawler86
crawler86's Reviews
03-23-2010, 01:28 PM
Pros: Reliable, strong, no problems while owning it. LIfetime warranty on everything on it through 4wd hardwarde. came w/ syn. rope.
Cons: only 8,000lbs
Recommended? Yes

Comments: This is a solid winch. I've used it several times. mainly recovering other vehicles. It pulled a Full sized dodge truck out of mud that was to the frame w/ ease. I'm really impressed with it for such a low price. You can always catch a sale on these somewhere to.

ericson89

ericson89's Reviews
03-16-2010, 11:44 AM
Pros: cheap and effective
Cons: cheap
Recommended? No

Comments: It gets the job done for simple stucks. If I had the money I would have bought a better winch in the warn, ramsey, superwinch area. All in all it hasn't failed yet but haven't maxed it out either.

dlane2155
dlane2155's Reviews
03-14-2010, 06:46 PM
Pros: -Plenty of winching capacity. -More HP than some of the other winches for the same price and capacity. -Easy to wire in.
Cons: For mounting the electronic box above the motor, one of the mounting holes was cross threaded. Not a major issue, just tapped the hole quickly. Also if you mount it above the motor, it could get pulled up and bend the bracket. Easy fix though, I just took a large hose clamp and wrapped it around the motor, and the bottom mounting bracket of the electronic box.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: -More HP than some of the other winches for the same price and capacity.
-Easy to wire in.

For mounting the electronic box above the motor, one of the mounting holes was cross threaded. Not a major issue, just tapped the hole quickly. Also if you mount it above the motor, it could get pulled up and bend the bracket. Easy fix though, I just took a large hose clamp and wrapped it around the motor, and the bottom mounting bracket of the electronic box.

NorthWhiteWolf
NorthWhiteWolf's Reviews
03-14-2010, 02:52 PM
Pros: comeing
Cons: comeing
Recommended? Yes

Comments: will be installing soon.

havoc64

havoc64's Reviews
03-14-2010, 08:25 AM
Price: $499.00
Pros: Easy Install, great instructions, synthetic rope.
Cons: Tight Clutch Brake, very hard to pull out when clutch is disengaged. Solenoid wont mount over motor when installed on XRC front bumper
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Easy Install, great instructions, synthetic rope. Tight Clutch Brake, very hard to pull out when clutch is disengaged. Solenoid wont mount over motor when installed on XRC front bumper

Page 6 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 > Last