Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Reviews > Recovery > Winches > SmittyBilt XRC 8 Winch

2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

SmittyBilt XRC 8 Winch Reviews, Ratings, Specs & Prices
Review Categories
Armor
  Bumpers
  Differential Guards
  Rocker Guards
  Roll Cages
  Skid Plates
Audio, CB, & Electrical
  Audio Players
  Batteries
  CB & HAM Radios
  GPS
  Speakers
Axles
  Axle Shafts
  Brakes
  Gears
  Hubs
  Lockers
  Steering
Body
  Body Lifts
  Consoles, Security & Storage
  Exterior Accessories
  Fender Flares
  Lighting, Lenses & Bulbs
  Roof Racks & Cargo Areas
  Tops
Engine
  Alternators
  Carburetors
  Chips
  Exhaust
  Headers
  Induction
  Internal Parts
  Motor Mounts
  Starters
  Throttle Body
Interior
  Gauges
  Misc
  Seats
Recovery
  Winch Cable and Hooks
  Winches
Suspension
  Complete Lift Kits
  Control Arms
  Shocks
  Springs
  Steering Stabilizers
  Track Bars
Tires & Wheels
  Tires
  Wheels
Transfer Case
  SYE Kits
  Transfer Cases
Transmissions
  Transmissions
Previous Product Winches Next Product

SmittyBilt XRC 8 Winch

Email This Bookmark Print This Review      Find On: JCWhitney.com | 4wheelparts.com | 4wd.com | eBay.com
Rating:

Product Information

MSRP: $900.00
Average Price: $306.50
Manufacturer: SmittyBilt
Recommended?
Yes: 270 / No: 9

Direct from 4wd.com:

The NEW Smittybilt XRC8 8,000lb winch has a hand wound permanent magnetic motor which is the standard for the true off Roader. This is the most reliable motor on the market today. Two Year Limited Warranty, 4.1 hp motor, 3-stage planetary gear system, 265:1 reduction ratio for fast line speed, free spooling, automatic load-holding brake, power in and out and a roller fairlead. A 12 ft illuminated handheld remote control,. Comes with a 5/16" x 92 galvanized aircraft cable with replaceable hook. Mounting bolt pattern: 10" x 4.5", OAL Dim. 21" x 6.22" x 7.283". This item incurs a $19.99 shipping surcharge.

-Rated line pull: 8,000 lbs. (3629 kg) single line
-Gear train: planetary gear system
-Gear ratio: 265:1
-Motor (permanent magnet): 4.1 hp (3kw), 12volt

Tags
None

Login or Register to Add Review
Page 5 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 > Last

ThunderFoot

ThunderFoot's Reviews
10-16-2010, 11:23 PM
Price: $500.00
Pros: Adequate for my needs.
Cons: Instruction manual needs work.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I haven't any comment on the Pro's or Con's of this item as I just installed it today. The instructions aren't exactly the best written, especially the part about attaching the cable. "Take the old cable off and note how it was attached, then attach the new cable" doesn't really work when this is a new winch without a cable.

There is a red cable that stands out amongst the other cables. I intend to wrap it with a nylon split cover mearly to hide the color; the added protection being a plus.

I debated with myself (can't lose that way) whether to get a winch. In the end it came down to the adage, better to have and not need than to need and not have.

patricknash1
patricknash1's Reviews
10-14-2010, 02:27 PM
Price: $299.00
Pros: Quick install, great looking product.
Cons: None so far
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I havent been stuck enough to actually use it yet but it's a nice product and so far I havent found anything I dislike about it.

BallerJeep
BallerJeep's Reviews
10-09-2010, 11:14 PM
Pros: looks great up front, fairly fast.
Cons: yet to find one
Recommended? Yes

Comments: just got it, never used it yet...

markxj2k
markxj2k's Reviews
10-03-2010, 10:50 PM
Pros: It's cheap and it works
Cons: None
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I actually have the Rugged Ridge version of this winch, but it's manufactured in the same plant to the same specs and sells for the same price. I know Warn is considered the God of winches, but I don't have that kind of cash. This one has worked fine for me and I've used it several times.

Shakey
Shakey's Reviews
09-15-2010, 02:46 PM
Price: $250.00
Pros: Cheap!
Cons: Cheap!
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I've now used it about 6 times, and it's worked every time. I've had my Jeep plus m416 hanging by the cable and it pulled well. Already paid for itself.

robbyb413
robbyb413's Reviews
08-31-2010, 10:36 AM
Price: $250.00
Pros: Inexpensive way to get the benefits of having a winch, great customer service.
Cons: Slow when winching, some parts not very durable.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: The winch is a solid performer, although if you're looking for speed it's not the winch for you. Great customer service - my solenoid stopped working and SB replaced it quickly without question which is so rare in this day and age. The lever to engage/freespool on this winch isn't very strong, the first time someone other than me touched it to spool it out they broke the lever right off, and the remote control is flimsy - a case of beer being dropped on mine smashed the handle to bits.

nibblesupreme

nibblesupreme's Reviews
08-09-2010, 08:20 AM
Price: $300.00
Pros: Cheap
Cons: Doesn't free spool very easily in the beginning
Recommended? Yes

Comments: It was cheap

Directions suck, do your best to follow them.

It doesn't free spool very easily in the beginning, you have to just keep at it and it will finally loosen up.

95YJohn
95YJohn's Reviews
08-04-2010, 11:06 PM
Pros: its a winch
Cons: couldn't read horrible photocopy of instructions
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I have not used it yet, but so far it works, and looks good.

jcmooreusmc

jcmooreusmc's Reviews
07-30-2010, 09:00 PM
Price: $275.00
Pros: Plenty of pull and good quality for the price
Cons: Color tends to fade on the controller. Smittybilt doesn't send stickers.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: So far, I am very pleased with this product. I've only NEEDED it once, and that was 2 days after I installed it. I was on the river and completely stuck, but thanks to the winch, I got out with ease. I don't go wheeling very much, but I'm glad I had it on this occasion. I like the look of having the winch bare, but keeping it covered would probably prevent fading in the color. The winch did come with a free cover and I've finally started using it. The controller comes with ample amount of cable so the driver can sit in the driver's seat and control the winch at the same time.

Jason D

Jason D's Reviews
07-26-2010, 10:50 AM
Pros: Great price
Cons: Made in China, connection for winch controls is flimsy. Paint faded VERY fast.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: You just can't beat the price. Yes, it's made in CHina, which sux, but I didn't need a winch enough to justify spending twice as much. Some say it's slow, but it's fine with me. It gets the job done.

The connection where you hook up the controls seems very flimsy and every time I've used it I thought I was going to break it. Also, the black paint faded to a milky grey within a couple of months.

bvjeep
bvjeep's Reviews
07-21-2010, 05:52 PM
Price: $299.99
Pros: Great price and reliable
Cons: None at this time
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Purchase this winch because a friend has the same winch and he has had no problems with the winch. I am also on a budjet, so I have to watch what I spend

trlblznjeeper33
trlblznjeeper33's Reviews
07-17-2010, 10:55 PM
Pros: Good pulling power, great price
Cons: HEAVY
Recommended? Yes

Comments: This is a great winch, I have used it quite a few times in the back woods of maine and think it was one of the best investments i've made. Great pulling power.

tjjeremy
tjjeremy's Reviews
07-14-2010, 11:25 AM
Price: $269.00
Pros: in-expensive
Cons: slow
Recommended? Yes

Comments: in-expensive and very easy to install, good looking unit

jeepjoe4

jeepjoe4's Reviews
06-28-2010, 07:50 PM
Price: $599.00
Pros: looks good fast spool speed and just works hard
Cons: rope dry rots quick
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I got mine because it was what i was looking for fast spool speed synthetic rope and cheap well cheaper than its competition still wish i would have spent the dow and got the $1400.00 warn comp winch just kidding

Shadowline

Shadowline's Reviews
06-25-2010, 12:50 PM
Price: $299.99
Pros: Great Price, reliable
Cons: Slooooooooooowwwww
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Just needed a cheap, reliable, easy to use winch... it fits my needs

tater_kamik
tater_kamik's Reviews
06-22-2010, 03:48 PM
Price: $350.00
Pros: cheap and it works
Cons: none so far
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Has pulled my jeep out twice so far. no complaints yet.

AWBFISHING
AWBFISHING's Reviews
06-21-2010, 09:52 AM
Pros: I HAVE PULL MYSELF AND MANY FRIENDS OUT OF MUD HOLES WITH THIS WINCH.
Cons: DOES NOT COME WITH WINCH COVER OR PLATE
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I HAVE PULL MYSELF AND MANY FRIENDS OUT OF MUD HOLES WITH THIS WINCH. IT IS A MIDDLE OF THE ROAD AND WHAT I MEAN IS IT'S NOT THE BEST ONE OUT THERE OR THE WORST ONE. I HAVE NOT GOTTEN STUCK YET AFTER PUTTING THIS ON MY JEEP. A GOOD ALL AROUND WINCH.

sloan74

sloan74's Reviews
06-10-2010, 09:44 AM
Pros: What I can say that others have not, for the price this is the best 8000lb winch out there....
Cons: None
Recommended? Yes

Comments: EDIT: DO NOT BUY THIS IF YOU PLAN TO HEAVY MUD AND WATER UNLESS YOUR READY TO MOD IT!!!

Problems I have run into:

The remote control/connector is garbage. They are not water proof. Head over to roadlessgear.com and pick up a wireless remote asap. I also picked up a dashboard switch just in case.

The gear casing is not water proof. When you buy this winch, remove all the small hex bolts with the small wrench they give you and take out the gears and re-grease with some good water proof grease. I use Mobile 1 Synthetic from autozone.

If you have the money and time you might want to consider moving the electronics inside the engine compartment. Esp if you know for sure your gonna bring it under water. This is an easy mod but the wires to extend it could be a bit pricey. It's a must if your water bogging.

Other than that for 300 bucks this motor/cable/hook can pull a LOT of stuff out of the mud. So I give it a good rating. Just be sure to do what I listed or your gonna be stranded in 3 feet of water/mud like I was for 2 hours waiting on a pull out....

Fireman4X4

Fireman4X4's Reviews
05-18-2010, 07:07 PM
Pros: Easy to install and use.
Cons: Not many installation instructions
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Just got this and it only took an hour to install. Haven't had a chance to use it yet, but that time will come soon enough.

slpv09
slpv09's Reviews
05-11-2010, 10:11 PM
Pros: cheap works great does what i need
Cons: slow
Recommended? Yes

Comments: its slow bnut it get the job done

Page 5 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 > Last