Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Reviews > Recovery > Winches > SmittyBilt XRC 8 Winch

Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearUCF Black Friday SaleLOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, Yu

SmittyBilt XRC 8 Winch Reviews, Ratings, Specs & Prices
Review Categories
Armor
  Bumpers
  Differential Guards
  Rocker Guards
  Roll Cages
  Skid Plates
Audio, CB, & Electrical
  Audio Players
  Batteries
  CB & HAM Radios
  GPS
  Speakers
Axles
  Axle Shafts
  Brakes
  Gears
  Hubs
  Lockers
  Steering
Body
  Body Lifts
  Consoles, Security & Storage
  Exterior Accessories
  Fender Flares
  Lighting, Lenses & Bulbs
  Roof Racks & Cargo Areas
  Tops
Engine
  Alternators
  Carburetors
  Chips
  Exhaust
  Headers
  Induction
  Internal Parts
  Motor Mounts
  Starters
  Throttle Body
Interior
  Gauges
  Misc
  Seats
Recovery
  Winch Cable and Hooks
  Winches
Suspension
  Complete Lift Kits
  Control Arms
  Shocks
  Springs
  Steering Stabilizers
  Track Bars
Tires & Wheels
  Tires
  Wheels
Transfer Case
  SYE Kits
  Transfer Cases
Transmissions
  Transmissions
Previous Product Winches Next Product

SmittyBilt XRC 8 Winch

Email This Bookmark Print This Review      Find On: JCWhitney.com | 4wheelparts.com | 4wd.com | eBay.com
Rating:

Product Information

MSRP: $900.00
Average Price: $306.41
Manufacturer: SmittyBilt
Recommended?
Yes: 274 / No: 9

Direct from 4wd.com:

The NEW Smittybilt XRC8 8,000lb winch has a hand wound permanent magnetic motor which is the standard for the true off Roader. This is the most reliable motor on the market today. Two Year Limited Warranty, 4.1 hp motor, 3-stage planetary gear system, 265:1 reduction ratio for fast line speed, free spooling, automatic load-holding brake, power in and out and a roller fairlead. A 12 ft illuminated handheld remote control,. Comes with a 5/16" x 92 galvanized aircraft cable with replaceable hook. Mounting bolt pattern: 10" x 4.5", OAL Dim. 21" x 6.22" x 7.283". This item incurs a $19.99 shipping surcharge.

-Rated line pull: 8,000 lbs. (3629 kg) single line
-Gear train: planetary gear system
-Gear ratio: 265:1
-Motor (permanent magnet): 4.1 hp (3kw), 12volt

Tags
None

Login or Register to Add Review
Page 4 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 > Last

hellinthewoods
hellinthewoods's Reviews
06-05-2011, 02:25 PM
Price: $400.00
Pros: very reliable pulls hard
Cons: Kinda slow, steel cable
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I've used and used this winch many many times on my xj, its never failed me, i'd rather not get the steel cable next time tho, too hard to roll back in. This is an excellent winch. I do wish it was a little quicker. overall great winch.

Kettles

Kettles's Reviews
05-31-2011, 06:57 PM
Price: $299.99
Pros: Cheap
Cons: Slow (maybe),Heavy, not exactly WARN's track record.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: I wanted a winch, and I didn't want to pay for a WARN or Ramsey. The XRC-8 was inexpensive and works. I have not needed it for recovery yet however I have tested it and it easily pulls me with 4 wheels locked up in gravel/rocks. I have it mounted on a receiver mount with a plug, and it is pushing 100lbs. Luckily I am young and strong .

JebJeep
JebJeep's Reviews
05-13-2011, 07:53 PM
Price: $200.00
Pros: cheap, more than enough power for a little jeep sumerged in texas clay,
Cons: clutch is recently slipping out of engagement
Recommended? Yes

Comments: .

greenglazier
greenglazier's Reviews
05-07-2011, 06:49 PM
Price: $300.00
Pros: easy to install great warranty
Cons: none
Recommended? Yes

Comments: for the price its a great product and 4wp offers a 3 year warranty for $30.00 that covers any part that goes bad no questions asked.

Luke94XJ
Luke94XJ's Reviews
05-06-2011, 10:06 AM
Price: $320.90
Pros: Great price, great power, comes with fairlead
Cons: none yet
Recommended? Yes

Comments: So far it does everything I need it to do, out of the box, pretty much all you need to do is bolt it down and hook it up to your battery. It as a pretty powerful 5.5hp mptor, which was one of its selling points for me. For the price its a great deal, there are other winches out there, in the same price range, that look like they are made by a sister company. I decided to go with the smittybilt, pretty much solely because I have actually heard of the name.

SpikeTJ
SpikeTJ's Reviews
04-24-2011, 08:20 PM
Pros: great
Cons: ....
Recommended? Yes

Comments: great great great great. great great great great great.

Dgroper

Dgroper's Reviews

04-14-2011, 11:39 AM
Price: $299.00
Pros: Great pulling power and excellent customer service direct from smittybilt.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Great product to have on the jeep. Three of my friends have the same winch and have no issues. Definitly recommend it to anyone who doesn't already have a winch and doesn't want to pay extra for a name.

weasel796
weasel796's Reviews
03-05-2011, 03:59 AM
Price: $250.00
Pros: Works well, is reliable, low price compared to other winches, great product
Cons: None yet
Recommended? Yes

Comments: This winch has been used to rescue vehicles larger than my jeep, and it pulls them out every time. I would strongly recommend this to anyone looking for a reliable winch that is not looking to spend all the money that warn asks for

Bobs jeepn
Bobs jeepn's Reviews
03-05-2011, 01:00 AM
Price: $449.00
Pros: Not used yet
Cons: n/a
Recommended? No

Comments: Not yet used.

shotcake
shotcake's Reviews
03-04-2011, 07:53 AM
Pros: Medium effort install
Cons: I wish it wasnt so heavy.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: For me it was a medium effort install meaning more time then technical. It took me a long time to make the cables and install look stock. It seems to work well...but I bought it more for looks then function. When I really have to use it I will let you know

Also install note: to reiterate Doc Jake..the install manual was less then desirable. I also had a bumper issue. I have the Body Armor 4 Hoop 59" bumper. You will not be able to put the Winch directly onto bumper as 2 of the 4 holes are missing. I had to buy the Body Armor elevated winch plate to connect it to the Body Armor 4 hoop 59" bumper so that I could bolt the winch on.

Winch Install note: I bought the winch and thought that a universal regular winch plate would do. WRONG! I had to return the universal winch plate and had to buy the Body Armor Elevated Winch Plate to put my XRC 8

Weight Alert: The Body armor bumper and elevated winch plate combined with the XRC 8 winch dropped my front end on OEM springs and shocks about 1.5 - 2 inches. If you dont like that un-leveled look be prepared to install a leveling kit which I did.

sphippler
sphippler's Reviews

03-03-2011, 08:18 PM
Pros: cheap, awesome warranty for $40.00.
Cons: 1.solinoid obstructs blinker when mounted on CJ. 2. solinoid is poorly constructed, it will stick over time(stick on and OFF)
Recommended? Yes

Comments: my solinoid went out the second time i used the winch. I hit the button on the remote to wind up the cable and when i let off the button the winch kept going. It wrecked the cable, the rollers, and my winch plate. luckily I wasn't winching anything, it could have been dangerous.
on the plus side i just sent in the solinoid and cable and they sent me another one.

MikeSW214
MikeSW214's Reviews
03-03-2011, 05:42 PM
Pros: Easy install
Cons: none yet
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Jut bolted it on today. tell ya how it work when i need it

3fifty
3fifty's Reviews
02-23-2011, 10:56 PM
Price: $1.00
Pros: It works, its cheap.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Ive only used it for two 5' pulls. It worked as it should.

Talton
Talton's Reviews
02-12-2011, 11:29 AM
Price: $449.00
Pros: good price
Cons: made in China
Recommended? Yes

Comments: winch looks fine, but I have yet to test it out.

zeronight
zeronight's Reviews
02-11-2011, 12:59 PM
Price: $279.99
Pros: CHEAP AND FUNCTIONAL
Cons: NONE SOFAR
Recommended? Yes

Comments: i bought this cause i wanted a winceh and i found it on sale. the only thing i wish it would have come with the mounting plate but i have since realized that none of them come with a plate. all in all a good buy in my opinion.

niles6284

niles6284's Reviews
02-07-2011, 11:09 PM
Pros: Excellent winch for the $$$
Cons: none so far
Recommended? Yes

Comments: used it on many ocassions hasnt failed me yet.

DocJake

in therapy
DocJake's Reviews

02-06-2011, 03:28 PM
Price: $299.00
Pros: Cheap!
Cons: Instructions? good luck. Needed to modify the installation when used with the Rugged Ridge XHD bumper with grill guard.
Recommended? Yes

Comments: As stated, not a bad winch at great price. I won't reiterate what's been said by many others, but I did enjoy testing it. A car illegally parked and blocking our driveway was no match for the XRC8 which quickly "relocated" this vehicle away from our driveway and into a hydrant zone.

For those who will be using this unit in the Rugged Ridge XHD bumper system with grill guard, take note. The hand control unit will not plug into the socket on the solenoid housing as it's blocked by the grill guard tube. Modification is not hard, but as the XRC8 had useless instructions, I thought I'd post the warning and the fix. I modified the rear mounting process slightly and posted the details and photos on this thread:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f234/...ch-bar-771193/

Enjoy!

kd006
kd006's Reviews
02-02-2011, 11:42 PM
Pros: easy mounting, connections
Cons: Poor directions
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Got this from Quadratech, the mount plate came first and there was an obvious interferance with the front of the bumper, called QT and they were almost no help. Finally loosened the lower bolts and was able to push the bumper back and the mount forward enough for bolt head clearance. Still overall happy with it, easy enough to install but the directions could have been better written.

jgallo
jgallo's Reviews
01-25-2011, 08:36 PM
Pros: great price
Recommended? Yes

Comments: lowest price 8k winch and durable

TheDirtyGeneral

TheDirtyGeneral's Reviews
01-16-2011, 02:51 PM
Pros: Cheap and Reliable
Cons: Directions might as well be written in Japanese, good luck!!!
Recommended? Yes

Comments: Winch is great it works awesome, I had to replace the handle assembly because when setting the gears in place I lost the ball bearing. The directions were very vague and hard to follow about setting the gears in place, have someone whos done it before help you.

Page 4 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 > Last