YJ HID Bi-Xenon Projector Retrofit - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > YJ HID Bi-Xenon Projector Retrofit

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Closed Thread
Unread 05-24-2010, 07:40 PM   #1
dvdflanders
1992 YJ Wrangler 

YJ HID Bi-Xenon Projector Retrofit

The stock, sealed beam halogen headlights in my YJ were weak. Lighting upgrades are nothing new to this forum. After evaluating my options, HID projectors were the most impressive. I researched and studied some retrofits on Jeepforum and other forums and got a good idea of how this works.

My setup:
New clear glass 7x6 headlight housings (similar to ebay)
FX-R bi-xenon projectors
4300K hid bulbs
H4 wiring harness
- $400 -

Props to The Retrofit Souce The Retrofit Source online: headlight upgrades for all applications. Matt at TRS was super helpful and hooked up some great products.

Tools:
Dremel*
Power saw
Rigid epoxy
ABS sheet (1/8)
RTV sealant
Soldering iron
Foil tape

I put the new headlight housings in the oven, 300 for 10, to soften the sealant. Then I pried the glass off with a flathead. I cut a hole about 5" in diameter off the back of the housing. Then I cut a circular piece of ABS to cover the hole. I melted the ABS with a soldering iron to form around the edges of the cut hole on the headlight housing, making a new, flat back on the housing. Then I secured the molded ABS with lots of JB Weld.

I cut a hole in the ABS and used a dremel to carve the exact shape of the projector, allowing a snug fit. I secured the projector with 4 screws and speed clips and more epoxy. I sealed up any light leaks with foil tape, then sealed the glass back on with RTV silicone.

I mounted the ballast on the inside fenders.

I had to modify the headlight retainer to fit the new headlight and cut a notch in the body behind the headlight.

Unread 05-25-2010, 02:14 PM   #2
SirGCal

Nice work; but very illegal for the street. Plain and simple. Even the glare from the pictures here are really bad. Hope those are high-beams... Without DOT markings is bad enough, but modified, that's illegal on a whole new level. It's likely going to be hard to get it inspected next time around unless you can find some shade-tree shop that doesn't check stuff (I know, at least around here, they've been effectively catching and shutting them down...).

http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_20...cfr571.108.pdf

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
Unread 05-25-2010, 10:20 PM   #3
dvdflanders
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal View Post
Nice work; but very illegal for the street. Plain and simple. Even the glare from the pictures here are really bad. Hope those are high-beams... Without DOT markings is bad enough, but modified, that's illegal on a whole new level. It's likely going to be hard to get it inspected next time around unless you can find some shade-tree shop that doesn't check stuff (I know, at least around here, they've been effectively catching and shutting them down...).
http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_20...cfr571.108.pdf
The clear glass on the new headlight housings I used are stamped with DOT, and E code. And the 4300K HID bulbs I used are found in OEM applications. The projectors are found in Infinitys. I don't see what is so plain and simple illegal. High-end manufacturers use hid projectors in their autos, why would applying this technology to my Jeep be illegal on a whole new level??
Unread 05-25-2010, 10:53 PM   #4
SirGCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdflanders View Post
The clear glass on the new headlight housings I used are stamped with DOT, and E code. And the 4300K HID bulbs I used are found in OEM applications. The projectors are found in Infinitys. I don't see what is so plain and simple illegal. High-end manufacturers use hid projectors in their autos, why would applying this technology to my Jeep be illegal on a whole new level??
Most importantly; you modified the housing for one light to hold another. That make it no longer compliant. Compliance is a housing, lens, reflector and light all working in concert. Change one of them and it no longer applies. Plus you have one light inside another reflector and going through another lens making it even worse. Probably causing much of the added glare.

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
Unread 05-26-2010, 03:38 PM   #5
Fhajad
1993 YJ Wrangler 

It isn't that much to buy the whole kit, muchless the effort you don't have to go thru to do all of this.

I hate when getting blinded and driving down the road.
Unread 05-31-2010, 03:27 PM   #6
turbojoe
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Actually this is the correct way to install HIDs. These projectors are oem as i have the same ones. There is no glare because this is not an after market HID kit or housing. The fx35 projectors provide a distinct cutoff.

Jeep
Unread 05-31-2010, 11:25 PM   #7
Fhajad
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojoe View Post
Actually this is the correct way to install HIDs. These projectors are oem as i have the same ones. There is no glare because this is not an after market HID kit or housing. The fx35 projectors provide a distinct cutoff.
Did you read his write up? He talks about cutting off the back of the housing to fit the projectors in.

It's not correct, it's doing it "on the cheap" and badly.
Unread 06-01-2010, 12:28 AM   #8
dvdflanders
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Did you read his write up? He talks about cutting off the back of the housing to fit the projectors in.

It's not correct, it's doing it "on the cheap" and badly.
Bright, glaring, blinding bluish headlights found in ricers is doing it "on the cheap." Accomplished by adding cheap hid bulbs with too high of a kelvin rating to oem reflectors. This scatters the bright hid light, in the wrong places, often in an oncomers eye.

This YJ retrofit is hardly "on the cheap." I kept my write-up brief, but professional precautions were taken, like leveling of the modified housing back. These D2S hid bulbs are not the cheap hid kits found on ebay. Modifying the new headlight housing does not make this some crazy, illegal scheme. The only thing needed on the new housing is the clear glass lens. The reflector is useless since the light is being focused and projected through the FX projector. That's why it got painted silver.

There is no glare when looking at these lights. The camera on my bberry, used in the pics, sucks. So they are more for getting an idea of how different they look from stock halogen headlights.

Check out The Retrofit Source: The Retrofit Source online: headlight upgrades for all applications.
Check the prices on their products, now add them up, still think this is "on the cheap?"

It's unfortunate that my hard work and research on this project has attracted so many haters. I thought this forum gave props for originality and accomplishment.

Here is an updated pic of the light output after fine adjustments:

Unread 06-01-2010, 06:57 AM   #9
SirGCal

Well, I've tried to explain it... But you just refuse to listen... I'll try once more...

There is glare, I can see it in your cutoff pic. The halo around the center and bright spot should not be there. Most likely caused by the lens they are shooting through and the silver reflector behind them. That's not just clear plastic. It's a lens made for the halogen lights... Plus the cutoff is not proper for HIDs. The right should be that high, maybe a bit lower but the left should only be about half that high.

When modifying the old reflector/lense, the DOT is invalidated. The new projector inside them, even if it did have it's own DOT stamp, would be illegal cause it's giong through an improper lense.

When you get inspected, if it's a shop that knows what they are doing, you're going to fail. Of that I have no question (I've asked these questions to them all before). If you find a shop with the unfortunately more normal monkeys that just run through the motions and don't really check, they might sneak you through and not catch it.

We're all about being creative, but this is simply illegal. Doesn't matter if you spent 10 grand on the setup... it's still illegal.

Quote:
Closed Thread

Tags
headlights , hid , projector , retrofit , xenon

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.