Yet another high-SWR thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Yet another high-SWR thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 07-05-2013, 12:29 AM   #1
LoneWolf
2009 JK Wrangler 

Thought I'd done everything right -- I ground paint off the antenna mount, ran a ground strap from the stud to a bolt behind the mount and replaced my steel whip with a 3' Firestik, but my Cobra 75 WX ST still is showing a consistently high reading on all channels.

I'm showing approximately 4 to 4.5 on 1, 20 and 40. At least it's an identical reading on all channels, right?

What am I missing?

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

2009 JKX - Stock, for now ...
My videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKB...AoLi1Zg/videos
LoneWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 06:22 AM   #2
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Are the plastic washers at the bracket properly put together to isolate the core from the mount? You need to check where you have continuity. The Firestik tech page has some good diagrams about exactly how the mount goes together and where to check continuity.
Unread 07-05-2013, 09:44 AM   #3
LoneWolf
2009 JK Wrangler 

The plastic shoulder washer is right where the package said it should be. Haven't checked continuity yet, guess that'll be my next step.

Here are a couple of pics of my install.

image-3719349378.jpg

image-2064008225.jpg

Unread 07-05-2013, 03:41 PM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Get rid of the extra "ground" wire. Are you sure you are correctly setting/adjusting the SWR meter for the testing ? Did you remove the paint from the mounting bracket where the stud mounts makes contact and from where the bracket and the Jeep body make contact ?

Excessive SWR of 3.0 or greater, is almost always from improper assembly of the antenna stud mount, or of the coax cable. You coax looks store bought, but you can still check it for continuity, and internal shorts.

See the Tech Help section at www.firestik.com for more ideas and for testing info. The Firestik info applies to all brands and types of CB antennas.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.

CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2013, 08:04 PM   #5
LoneWolf
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim
Get rid of the extra "ground" wire. Are you sure you are correctly setting/adjusting the SWR meter for the testing ? Did you remove the paint from the mounting bracket where the stud mounts makes contact and from where the bracket and the Jeep body make contact ?

Excessive SWR of 3.0 or greater, is almost always from improper assembly of the antenna stud mount, or of the coax cable. You coax looks store bought, but you can still check it for continuity, and internal shorts.

See the Tech Help section at www.firestik.com for more ideas and for testing info. The Firestik info applies to all brands and types of CB antennas.
Losing the ground strap didn't change anything. I made sure I'd ground off plenty of paint from the mount and continuity looks fine.

It's still putting out plenty of signal -- a consistent 4-plus miles and 30 isn't unheard off. My only concern is potential damage to the radio.

Unread 07-22-2013, 10:39 PM   #6
Filthy-Beast
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Are sure you have a good meter?

For Sale: 2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks

97 TJ: daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
98 TJ: Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2013, 08:01 AM   #7
LoneWolf
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy-Beast View Post
Are sure you have a good meter?
I'm tempted to wonder. After the most recent adjustments, the reading is almost exactly the same -- about 4 -- on all channels. I bought the meter, a Workman, brand new via eBay. How common is a bad SWR meter?

Unread 07-23-2013, 09:00 AM   #8
Filthy-Beast
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

It's possible. Have you checked both the antenna cable and the jumper cable?

Just in case I'll ask. you are hooking the jumper cable to the CB and then the meter, the antenna to the meter. setting it in FWD position, Push Transmit button on the mic, while holding transmit in you adjust the dial so the meter's needle is at the top of the scale. Then move the switch to Ref and check the SWR reading?

06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs
Unread 07-23-2013, 02:47 PM   #9
LoneWolf
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy-Beast View Post
It's possible. Have you checked both the antenna cable and the jumper cable?

Just in case I'll ask. you are hooking the jumper cable to the CB and then the meter, the antenna to the meter. setting it in FWD position, Push Transmit button on the mic, while holding transmit in you adjust the dial so the meter's needle is at the top of the scale. Then move the switch to Ref and check the SWR reading?
I didn't think to check the jumper cable, but I did check the el cheapo Radio Shack coax.

Yup, following the proper procedure for the meter. If I had hair, I'd pull it out.

Unread 07-23-2013, 07:15 PM   #10
Filthy-Beast
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Could be a bad antenna, do you know anybody with one you could swap for a few minutes to test?

Unread 07-24-2013, 01:18 AM   #11
JPNinPA
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Is your cable pinched, bent or cut anywhere? Do you have the excess rolled up?
Does your antenna come close to large metal objects like a rack, hi-lift or custom roll cage?
Take a multimeter and measure resistance from the antenna tip to the cable center lead at the radio.
How about antenna tip to the outer shield radio side? Between center conductor and outer shield? Lastly outer shield at the antenna to some area on the body or frame?

What readings do you get?
Unread 07-24-2013, 12:51 PM   #12
LoneWolf
2009 JK Wrangler 

The reading is identical using my steel whip and the 3-foot Firestik, so I ruled out the antenna as a cause. The coax looks fine and went straight from the package onto the Jeep. Oddly enough, I do usually run with a small loop just before it connects to the CB remote box, but I pull the loop straight when I connect the SWR meter, so that isn't it, either. The coax does run along the stock sport cage, but I'd have thought the shielding would be enough to prevent interference.

Another oddity: Since I had the meter hooked up, I tested it at work the other night for giggles. I was parked with the antenna a scant four feet from a three-story brick building. I'd have thought it would throw the reading much higher. Instead, the reading on all channels dropped to just a tick above three.

Unread 07-24-2013, 03:11 PM   #13
Glasssplinter
1994 ZJ 

Coax can be bad out of the box. You have to test like JPNinPA said.
Glasssplinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2013, 11:18 PM   #14
LoneWolf
2009 JK Wrangler 

I'm beginning to lean more toward the bad meter theory. Out of desperation and frustration, I pulled out my backup radio, a Uniden 510 Pro XL, and a magnetic mount antenna.

I wired up the radio and set the antenna on the hood. Initially, the meter read the same as it has before, but then it rapidly dipped below 2, then rapidly shot back up well above four. It did this a couple more times, then shot above the set mark and stayed there.

Unread 07-25-2013, 05:28 AM   #15
JPNinPA
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Do you not have a multimeter or just not telling you did check continuity?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.