Wrangler tweeter install - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Wrangler tweeter install

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!

Unread 05-21-2012, 07:53 PM   #1
mhopton
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Wrangler tweeter install

I wasn't satisfied with the Polk db521 speakers in the front of my wrangler after installing an amp (Rockford Fosgate pbr300x4). They were overpowered and showed some distortion at mid-volume; they're rated at 55 RMS watts per channel and the amp is pushing 85 RMS per channel. So, I started looking at a higher capacity speaker and came across the Polk db series 5251 components that are rated up to 100 watts RMS. problem is, where to install a tweeter....?

After some digging, I came across some brackets made by Nalin Mfg, which attaches the tweeter via a small bracket to the tub at the door strap retainer. They cost a whopping $12 shipped and are very nice, high quality items. I scrubbed them down and sprayed them black so that they would blend in to the background a little better and they pretty much disappear down on the edge of the footwell.

A couple of pics:

The new mid-woofer that came as a part of the components:

image-214015152.jpg

The driver's side tweeter:

image-208710321.jpg

The sound is fantastic from the front and filled in nicely from the rear. Very clean sound for a soft top wrangler.

Next project...rear seat sub box!

mhopton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2012, 08:55 PM   #2
NalinMFG
Vendor

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thank you for the feedback, I'm glad that you got the sound you were looking for

5.25" TJ Speaker Adapters
------------------------------
Linkedin:
Andrew Nalin
Email: NalinMFG@gmail.com
www.NalinMFG.com
Facebook:
NalinMFG
NalinMFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2012, 09:05 PM   #3
4x4Brit
2006 LJ Wrangler 

That's a good looking set up. Separate tweeters like that always sound better in my experience. Might have to look into that after I get an amp in on my system.
4x4Brit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2012, 11:58 AM   #4
BigDogTJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Nice job mate! Where did you stick the little component boxes (not sure what they're called)? I'm going to put these in Thursday after my tub is lined. Pretty easy to wire up?
Unread 05-22-2012, 12:12 PM   #5
mhopton
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDogTJ
Nice job mate! Where did you stick the little component boxes (not sure what they're called)? I'm going to put these in Thursday after my tub is lined. Pretty easy to wire up?
BigDog,
They were super easy to wire - very self-explanatory when you look at them. As for placement of the crossover, on the drivers side, I used some double-sided tape and stuck the component on the inside of the tub just to the left of the dash attachment point. Basically, with the main speaker removed, I stuck my hand through the opening and to the left and planted it on the tub wall. On the pass side, it's placed behind the glove box and just to the left of the fuse box. It tucks in nicely behind the corrugated pipe that runs horizontally in front of the fuse box.

Good luck!
mhopton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-22-2012, 07:30 PM   #6
BigDogTJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks brother! It should be pretty simple. My old man is helping me and he's pretty savy when it comes to wiring things. We have to take the cage out to get to the front speakers so I'm glad I got everything I need to do this cause this cage ain't coming out again!!!!!!
Unread 10-08-2013, 09:16 PM   #7
kethridge
TJ Wrangler 

Any issues with the door strap blocking the tweeter ? I've only seen pictures of this tweeter mount with the doors off.
kethridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2013, 03:27 PM   #8
NalinMFG
Vendor

1998 TJ Wrangler 

The strap is above the tweeter.

Linkedin:
Andrew Nalin
www.NalinMFG.com
Facebook:
NalinMFG
Unread 10-09-2013, 06:57 PM   #9
kethridge
TJ Wrangler 

I understand they are located above where the tweeter would be mounted. However, when I have my doors closed the strap seems to be bundled up where the tweeter would be located. I like the design, just wondering if this has posed a problem for anyone ? Thanks !
Unread 10-09-2013, 09:36 PM   #10
NalinMFG
Vendor

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Like this?

Linkedin:
Andrew Nalin
www.NalinMFG.com
Facebook:
NalinMFG
Unread 10-09-2013, 09:47 PM   #11
kethridge
TJ Wrangler 

Mine is a 2005. The straps I have appear to be much longer...I can always get different straps though. I'm considering getting some of those mounts in the near future. I like the location of them, just didn't know if anyone had issues with the strap. Thanks, I'll have to get with ya when I'm ready to order some !
Unread 10-09-2013, 10:05 PM   #12
NalinMFG
Vendor

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kethridge View Post
Mine is a 2005. The straps I have appear to be much longer...I can always get different straps though. I'm considering getting some of those mounts in the near future. I like the location of them, just didn't know if anyone had issues with the strap. Thanks, I'll have to get with ya when I'm ready to order some !
To the best of my knowledge, all CJ's, YJ's, and TJ's have the same door pin mount and use the same length strap. If the strap was longer on an 03-06 than a 97-02 then to door would open wider.

I've sent a LOT of tweeter mounts out and have not heard of any issues to date

Linkedin:
Andrew Nalin
www.NalinMFG.com
Facebook:
NalinMFG

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.