Wrangler TJ Amp - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 04-06-2015, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
TeflonTrout
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Wrangler TJ Amp

Hey guys i'm new to the forum because I just got my first jeep last weekend and I love it! I was curious if anybody knows anything about the factory amp (if it has one).

I was also looking into upgrading the sound system and I was curious if I was going to have to buy a new amp or if I can just hook up the new speakers and sub? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-06-2015, 07:18 PM
SnowdogMarc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Welcome to the forum

If you have a factory sub it will be in the center console. The factory system is integrated in that the Amp and Sub are a one piece modular unit. I believe there's a few aftermarket subs that will fit in the factory enclosure but they are not very big (5 or 6" I think). I also think there's an aftermarket combo unit to replace it as well. The previous owner of mine upgraded all the speakers to Rockford Fosgate so other than swapping out the Kenwood deck for an Alpine I haven't touched it.

l We're here for a good time. Not a long time. So have a good time the sun can't shine every day.
l_______
/l ,[_____],
l---L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)____________VE6-SDG
post #3 of 7 Old 04-07-2015, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
TeflonTrout
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Amp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowdogMarc View Post
Welcome to the forum

If you have a factory sub it will be in the center console. The factory system is integrated in that the Amp and Sub are a one piece modular unit. I believe there's a few aftermarket subs that will fit in the factory enclosure but they are not very big (5 or 6" I think). I also think there's an aftermarket combo unit to replace it as well. The previous owner of mine upgraded all the speakers to Rockford Fosgate so other than swapping out the Kenwood deck for an Alpine I haven't touched it.
Do you know what the specifications of the factory amp are such as the wattage, ohms stuff like that if you do that would be great!

post #4 of 7 Old 04-07-2015, 05:37 PM
SnowdogMarc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I went digging through another thread and all I could come up with is that the factory system might be a 1 or 2 ohm system. Many of the aftermarket subs in that size are 4 ohm and a big reason (looking through that thread) they don't have the punch the factory one had.
I'm going to pull my sub and see what it's rating is as it don't have much punch. Might experiment with a resistor and see if I can fool it into thinking it's a 2 ohm sub getting a bit more punch out of it.

l We're here for a good time. Not a long time. So have a good time the sun can't shine every day.
l_______
/l ,[_____],
l---L -[]lllllll[]-

post #5 of 7 Old 04-07-2015, 07:30 PM
partegolkar

Quote:
Welcome to the forum

Good advice
post #6 of 7 Old 04-08-2015, 05:18 PM
SnowdogMarc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by partegolkar View Post
Good advice
Only reason I swapped the deck was the Kenwood didn't have a front panel aux input and I wanted that along with integrated BT for the phone.

l_______
/l ,[_____],
l---L -[]lllllll[]-

post #7 of 7 Old 04-09-2015, 09:04 AM Thread Starter
TeflonTrout
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Amp

Quote:
I went digging through another thread and all I could come up with is that the factory system might be a 1 or 2 ohm system. Many of the aftermarket subs in that size are 4 ohm and a big reason (looking through that thread) they don't have the punch the factory one had.
I'm going to pull my sub and see what it's rating is as it don't have much punch. Might experiment with a resistor and see if I can fool it into thinking it's a 2 ohm sub getting a bit more punch out of it.
Ok sounds good thanks!

Tags
amplifier , sound system , stereo system , sub woofer , upgrade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.