Wrangler Sound System Write-Up (Long, with pictures) - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Wrangler Sound System Write-Up (Long, with pictures)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 09-05-2008, 04:16 PM   #16
RoverJeep90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

^That's what I thought at first, too (money, wise). However, when I did the pricing and stuff, they worked out to be the same price for me and I thought I had 3 RCAs to run from the front of the vehicle to the amps. Fail. I just wanted to test the waters to see if there was a problem. I'm probably going to purchase the shorter RCA.

Sony CDX-GT300 | Kicker ZX500.1 | Kicker ZX350.4 | Kicker ZX200.2 | Kicker L5 Solobaric Sub | Kicker 6x9's | Apline 6.5's | Boston 4x6's
Truckstop CB Antenna | Class 3 Hitch
RoverJeep90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2008, 06:18 PM   #17
35sUnlimited
2004 TJ Wrangler 

You could always keep the extra wire near the head unit zip tied up behind the dash rather than at the amp until you get shorter cables.
35sUnlimited is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-07-2008, 12:06 AM   #18
seanglen
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Nice set up my friend. I am going to be putting my system in this week. I live in San Diego though so i will be putting my deck in the metal locking middle console. or my sH!$ would be gone in a flash. I like how it puts the stereo at you fingertips as well. http://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-85-01...le-8-wide.aspx
seanglen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-09-2008, 04:10 PM   #19
88TNSahara
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I suggest using a 1 Farad capacitor with a system demanding this much power, but nice writeup. How much clearance do you have between your amps and the bottom of the rear seat? Have you had any instances of overheating?
88TNSahara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2008, 01:12 PM   #20
Neighborbill
1989 YJ Wrangler 

i would use a circuit breaker up front It gives a better connection and handles the weather better
Neighborbill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2008, 04:38 AM   #21
greenmanalishi
1990 YJ Wrangler 

weet looking ride man!!!! bet it sounds just as good? what do you think a 4 channel amp with some 6x9"s would sound like?
are speaker bars any good?
cheers,
jim
greenmanalishi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2008, 11:55 PM   #22
RoverJeep90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thank you for the compliments on the write-up. I apologize for not looking at the thread for a while. It seemed get lost in newer threads and the mountain of work at school.

I thought about the capacitor. I wanted to run the setup without one and determine later if I needed one. The extra money was not worth it to me up front. So far, I've made the correct decision. No problems yet with batteries, alternators, etc. As for the seat clearance--it's minimal. The seat will latch down and rest with about about an inch of clearance in the front and very little, if any, in the rear. Though this seems close, I have not had any issues with overheating. The amps stay cool and dry.

As far as 6x9's, speaker bars, and amps are concerned, a lot has to do with the manufacturer and the components. If all the pieces match and are fit for each other, the setup will work well. Sound bars are fine if you're willing to spend the money or have a connection to one. Personally, I enjoy building the components. I have the 6x9's in the rear and they are amplified. They sound nice but are a bit "barky." Just ensure that your amp can provide the correct power amount (RMS) that your speakers are specified to handle.
Sony CDX-GT300 | Kicker ZX500.1 | Kicker ZX350.4 | Kicker ZX200.2 | Kicker L5 Solobaric Sub | Kicker 6x9's | Apline 6.5's | Boston 4x6's
Unread 02-20-2009, 12:40 PM   #23
Tooch
1994 YJ Wrangler 

has anyone made a way to actually bolt the subwoofer box into the jeep? i want to put my subs in but i realllly dont want them stolen
Tooch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2009, 06:32 PM   #24
RoverJeep90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I have the sub screwed into the tub with brackets provided by Kicker. They are small angle brackets that could be easily fabricated. Just screw one end into the box, the other into the tub. With 4 of those pieces, the subwoofer is not going anywhere without a lot of work and some power tools.
Unread 04-01-2009, 03:00 PM   #25
AintnoWillys
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooch View Post
has anyone made a way to actually bolt the subwoofer box into the jeep? i want to put my subs in but i realllly dont want them stolen
Securing the sub box to your jeep is a matter of preference. Some people use "L" shaped bracket on the outside of the box. As it is easy enough to remove for wheeling purposes or if you just need the extra space temporarily. If you're in a mall crawler and won't be removing your subs then you can bolt them down from the interior of the box through the body of the jeep prior to installing the subs. I have done it this way for friends that want the box tight to the floor w/o moving or sliding. Also it is hard to steal with the bolts on the inside. (note I said Harder to steal and not impossible)

Hope this helps a bit.

Jay

93 YJ
Square eyes
[]lllllll[]
AintnoWillys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2009, 08:33 AM   #26
Tooch
1994 YJ Wrangler 

thank you. I was just wondering for because im not a fan of **** being stolen lol but it would be nice to take out when going in the woods too
Tooch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2011, 06:43 PM   #27
RedneckJacob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

What do you do if it rains? Are your wheel well speakers safe?
RedneckJacob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2011, 09:25 PM   #28
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Wow talk about reviving an old thread!

Exposed speakers are vulnerable to rain. A speaker with a woofer and tweeter cone made of something other than paper will be splash resistant. Try to find or you like where tweeter wiring isn't exposed. The enclosure will protect the back of the speaker and the wiring.

I hardly ever run a rear seat so I run a tonneau. Did this on my yj and now my tj and highly recommend it...even if it's just to keep a jacket out of sight or from blowing away.
Unread 03-01-2011, 10:17 PM   #29
RedneckJacob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I wanna run a tonneau but cant decide if i should spend the 60 dollars for one? Or make one outta the plywood i have in my garage?!
RedneckJacob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2011, 09:46 PM   #30
RoverJeep90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckJacob View Post
What do you do if it rains? Are your wheel well speakers safe?
Quite honestly, I don't drive it in the rain very often. It's a second car (Volvo S60) and my parents are kind enough to let me use the garage when it rains for a few days. Around me, it's pretty dry in the summer time and droughts are kinda common. So I just keep the bikini cover on the top of it and drive home if it's going to get wet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.