Wiring Issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Wiring Issue

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing our NEW JK tail light adapter wiring harness!!

Unread 10-21-2013, 09:51 AM   #1
Madden_07
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Wiring Issue

Ever since I went wheeling a few weeks ago the lights on my front bumper don't seem to be working. My switch that I have for them still lights up though and the in-line fuse isn't burned up, so what do you think could be the problem? This has been bugging me for a while now

Unread 10-21-2013, 11:28 AM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Take your $6-15 Volts/Ohms Multi-Meter that you bought at the local hardware store, Home Improvement store, or WalMart type store and figure it out yourself. Test for 12 volts and good ground continuity at the lamps and then work your way back to the relay under the hood. Test the bulbs also.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.

CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2013, 12:41 PM   #3
Psycho-X-Jeep
Free hugs <<< just ask!

2009 JK Wrangler 

Usually in cases like this (if it is wired up properly) it is a bad ground. Check it, cleant it, make sure its contacting bare metal (no rust or paint), and reconnnect it. The ground should also be as short as possible, and be the same size (gauge) as the power wire. If that doesnt solve the problem and your fuse is in tact, you could have a faulty switch (again, Im assuming you have everything wired up correctly).
Psycho-X-Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2013, 01:33 PM   #4
Madden_07
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Okay so I checked the ground and it seems to be fine, same with the bulbs, but the thing I dont get is there's obviously some sort of current going through the wires because the switch is on as seen in the pictures. Then again I know very very little when it comes to electrical work on Jeeps. One more thing that I can think of is that I had them previously wired up to a basic switch, and when I finally went to install the current one it came with 3 wires. Red, black, and white, I just put a wire nut on the white wire since I only had a red and black going to the lights so I dont know if that would have anything to do with it or not. The lights stopped working while I still had it wired up to the basic switch though.

Here's some pictures I took of the setup.

Grounded

Switch turned on

The lights in question

Basic switch

New switch with 3 wires (this is the image from the ebay listing)
Unread 10-21-2013, 02:19 PM   #5
Psycho-X-Jeep
Free hugs <<< just ask!

2009 JK Wrangler 

Do you have them hooked up to a relay?
Unread 10-21-2013, 02:49 PM   #6
Madden_07
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I dont believe so, the PO was the one who installed them so it looks like I'm going to be cleaning up his mess. I think I'm going to just end up rewiring them because the more I'm looking at it the more of a mess it's starting to look like.

Thanks again for your help
Unread 10-21-2013, 07:28 PM   #7
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Wire nuts shouldn't be used for automotive wiring. You should use crimp on connectors, or better yet solder the connections and seal them with shrink tube.

Your wiring should have a relay and fuse installed.

aaa-relay-diagram.jpg

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.

CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2013, 07:42 PM   #8
Psycho-X-Jeep
Free hugs <<< just ask!

2009 JK Wrangler 

Follow the diagram that CJ7 just posted up. My guess is your switch got messed up because you aren't using a relay. It may seem like a daunting task, but its really quite simple if you have the right tools.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.