post #1 of Old 06-11-2013, 05:36 AM Thread Starter
stuartcoryvet
Registered User
1975 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 5
Wiring harness

So, I need a little help. I got me a killer deal on a CJ 5 75' few weeks ago. Need to install wiring harness which I have. Maybe someone can explain to me where to even start??

stuartcoryvet is offline  
post #2 of Old 06-11-2013, 07:12 PM
MyKeyB
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Youngstown
Posts: 300
That's something that's going to be difficult if not impossible to explain on a forum. Myself, I would start by tearing out the old wiring and replacing with new. If your not real comfortable with wiring or if you've never done anything like this it's going to be a project for sure. Good luck!

Rust never sleeps...
MyKeyB is offline  
post #3 of Old 06-12-2013, 08:49 PM
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector
 
laybackman's Avatar
2010 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 6,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartcoryvet View Post
So, I need a little help. I got me a killer deal on a CJ 5 75' few weeks ago. Need to install wiring harness which I have. Maybe someone can explain to me where to even start??
I will assume that the old harness is not there.... This is a CJ so the wiring is fairly old school which means simpler than the newer Wranglers.

You did not mention which harness (engine? tub? dash?) In any event the length of the wiring usually tells you where the ends go. They don' make the wires longer than needed.

Do you know what was good about the good old days? I wasn't good, And I wasn't old!

Senators and Congressman should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors....
laybackman is offline  
post #4 of Old 06-13-2013, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
stuartcoryvet
Registered User
1975 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by laybackman

I will assume that the old harness is not there.... This is a CJ so the wiring is fairly old school which means simpler than the newer Wranglers.

You did not mention which harness (engine? tub? dash?) In any event the length of the wiring usually tells you where the ends go. They don' make the wires longer than needed.





Yes, the old harness is out and is the harness for the engine. Any know how to which to even began?
stuartcoryvet is offline  
post #5 of Old 06-13-2013, 12:15 PM
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector
 
laybackman's Avatar
2010 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 6,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartcoryvet View Post
Yes, the old harness is out and is the harness for the engine. Any know how to which to even began?
Go into your profile and fill it out please.

http://jeepspace.jeepforum.com/stuartcoryvet

That way we aren't guessing what you have for a jeep.


What engine/tranny? 1975 Is old as far as information online goes but you never know. I'll see what I can dig up but on the older Jeeps I have vey little from that era.

Do you know what was good about the good old days? I wasn't good, And I wasn't old!

Senators and Congressman should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors....
laybackman is offline  
post #6 of Old 06-13-2013, 12:30 PM
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector
 
laybackman's Avatar
2010 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 6,876
I have this for a 1978 CJ. They did not change much over those three years. Maybe this will help you;





Do you know what was good about the good old days? I wasn't good, And I wasn't old!

Senators and Congressman should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors....
laybackman is offline  
post #7 of Old 06-13-2013, 04:19 PM
CJ258
Registered User
1974 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: El Centro, CA
Posts: 789
Get all your ducks in a row. When I did my '74 I rounded up a new ignition switch, did the headlight relay mod, went to a CS130 alternator and H4 headlights. My kit was color coded for Chevy. 14 circuit was too much, probably could have gotten away with 10.
CJ258 is offline  
post #8 of Old 06-17-2013, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
stuartcoryvet
Registered User
1975 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by laybackman

Go into your profile and fill it out please.

http://jeepspace.jeepforum.com/stuartcoryvet

That way we aren't guessing what you have for a jeep.

What engine/tranny? 1975 Is old as far as information online goes but you never know. I'll see what I can dig up but on the older Jeeps I have vey little from that era.
Quote:
Originally Posted by laybackman
I have this for a 1978 CJ. They did not change much over those three years. Maybe this will help you;
Greatly appreciated laid back man. Ill upload a pic as soon as I can get to my laptop. My phone isn't allowing me to
stuartcoryvet is offline  
post #9 of Old 06-17-2013, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
stuartcoryvet
Registered User
1975 CJ5 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 5
Thanks for the diagram! That's something to get started with. Can't thank you enough!
stuartcoryvet is offline  
post #10 of Old 06-17-2013, 01:46 PM
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector
 
laybackman's Avatar
2010 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 6,876
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartcoryvet View Post
Thanks for the diagram! That's something to get started with. Can't thank you enough!
No problem!

I figured that the 1975 to 1978 CJ's wiring didn't change very much. Even if it is partially accurate that gets some of the wiring plugged into where it needs to go.

KEEP IN MIND that the wire colors may not be correct.

Do you know what was good about the good old days? I wasn't good, And I wasn't old!

Senators and Congressman should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors....
laybackman is offline  
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome