Wiring DJ Grille 12v Seal Headlamps to Household Outlets - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Wiring DJ Grille 12v Seal Headlamps to Household Outlets

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 06-21-2013, 01:16 PM   #1
Delta347
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Wiring DJ Grille 12v Seal Headlamps to Household Outlets

Howdy!

I've got an old DJ/Postal Jeep grille I found at the junk yard without any damage besides rust and worn paint. After a quick restoration and some new head lamps I'd like to adorn my man cave with it but needed some help on ways to wire it.

At first I considered just drilling the filament out but didn't want to destroy new head lamps and after some poking I see people using 12v bulbs in 120v sockets without issue and wanted to know is there a way I can wire the sockets on these head lamps to run off a wall outlet?

I have the 3 prong connectors off the factory harness so I just need to get a wall plug and some cable I figured (switch too of course), but I wanted to know if i need any sort of inverter in line to compensate?

I don't know the statistics on these headlamps, I don't have the cases all I know are they are Sylvania brand 2D1 and A08 are stamped into the glass.

Side Effects may include dry mouth, nausea, vomitting, water retention, painful recolage, hallucination, dementia, psycosis, coma, death, and halitosus. YJs are not for everyone please consult your physician before use.
Delta347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2013, 02:29 PM   #2
paintballtruck
1979 J-Series Truck 

just pick up an adaptor from a wall outlet to a cigarette lighter and hook it up that way will change it from 120 to 12 v and wont have to do any mod to the headlights
paintballtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2013, 07:16 PM   #3
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Any moderately sized 120 volts AC to 12 volts DC converter will work. I think mine is about 5-10 amps capacity.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2013, 10:11 PM   #4
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Yes you'll certainly need to use an inverter. If you feed 120VAC directly to those 12VDC headlights, they'll fry for sure.
Nice find on the grill!

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
Better to hoard Jeep technical info than old newspapers and the neighbor's mail, I guess.......
Vote for the August Cherokee Of The Month here - Yes YOU!!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2013, 02:05 AM   #5
Delta347
Web Wheeler

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the input guys! Ill pick up a simple inverter and just wire the bulbs through a switch to the inverter! Can't wait to see it light up ^.^

/End Transmission
Side Effects may include dry mouth, nausea, vomitting, water retention, painful recolage, hallucination, dementia, psycosis, coma, death, and halitosus. YJs are not for everyone please consult your physician before use.
Delta347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2013, 05:36 AM   #6
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

If it were on my wall I'd probably feed the inverter with a rheostat (dimmer switch) so I could dim the headlights to suit the mood.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
Better to hoard Jeep technical info than old newspapers and the neighbor's mail, I guess.......
Vote for the August Cherokee Of The Month here - Yes YOU!!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.