Wiring an amo to stock radio! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Wiring an amo to stock radio!

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 06-13-2013, 07:49 PM   #1
MattBillyTayloe
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Wiring an amo to stock radio!

I've wired plenty of Amps and subs to aftermarket radios, it's no big deal at all, but today I went to work on a dudes cherokee, and i ran into a problem with where to connect the Rem wire, any suggestions, need help ASAP!

MattBillyTayloe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2013, 08:16 PM   #2
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Patch into the remote wire for the head unit. There's a sticky with the color codes of the wires.
Unread 06-13-2013, 08:19 PM   #3
MattBillyTayloe
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gily25
Patch into the remote wire for the head unit. There's a sticky with the color codes of the wires.
Thanks man! Didn't know there was a sticky for that, and I didn't want to make any guesses!
Unread 06-13-2013, 08:26 PM   #4
MattBillyTayloe
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gily25 View Post
imageuploadedbyag-free1371173191.101354.jpgwould it be the second one? Red\white

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Unread 06-13-2013, 08:29 PM   #5
rubibluejay
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The remote wire is the trigger for an amplifier.

If there is a factory amp, you will need to find out which wire is the amp's trigger. On my '04 Wrangler, it is a 20 gauge wire and the FSM calls it "Radio 12V Output". If he has an aftermarket amp, you would connect it to the amp's 12V + (usually labeled remote or REM +) trigger input terminal, next to the 12V + power input.

If there is no amp, you don't use the wire. Before buttoning everything up, make sure it works & that there is no exposed wire (cut clean & tape off) to cause a short.

Jay
rubibluejay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2013, 08:32 PM   #6
rubibluejay
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I must be a slow typer today... Three replies before I hit the post quick reply button. I was sidetracked by my phone going off though.

Jay
Unread 06-13-2013, 08:37 PM   #7
MattBillyTayloe
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubibluejay View Post
I must be a slow typer today... Three replies before I hit the post quick reply button. I was sidetracked by my phone going off though.

Jay
Hahah, your fine man, so I was right about using the 12v switched wire or whatever that second one is?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Unread 06-13-2013, 10:13 PM   #8
rubibluejay
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Does the Cherokee have a 2 plug (grey & black) 7 wire (each plug) connection? If so, it looks like you can use the antenna (black plug, position G) trigger wire.

http://www.installdr.com/Harnesses/DCP-Wiring.pdf

Jay

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.