Wiring an amo to stock radio! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Wiring an amo to stock radio!

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?

Unread 06-13-2013, 06:49 PM   #1
MattBillyTayloe
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Wiring an amo to stock radio!

I've wired plenty of Amps and subs to aftermarket radios, it's no big deal at all, but today I went to work on a dudes cherokee, and i ran into a problem with where to connect the Rem wire, any suggestions, need help ASAP!

MattBillyTayloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 07:16 PM   #2
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Patch into the remote wire for the head unit. There's a sticky with the color codes of the wires.
Unread 06-13-2013, 07:19 PM   #3
MattBillyTayloe
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gily25
Patch into the remote wire for the head unit. There's a sticky with the color codes of the wires.
Thanks man! Didn't know there was a sticky for that, and I didn't want to make any guesses!
Unread 06-13-2013, 07:26 PM   #4
MattBillyTayloe
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gily25 View Post
imageuploadedbyag-free1371173191.101354.jpgwould it be the second one? Red\white

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Unread 06-13-2013, 07:29 PM   #5
rubibluejay
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The remote wire is the trigger for an amplifier.

If there is a factory amp, you will need to find out which wire is the amp's trigger. On my '04 Wrangler, it is a 20 gauge wire and the FSM calls it "Radio 12V Output". If he has an aftermarket amp, you would connect it to the amp's 12V + (usually labeled remote or REM +) trigger input terminal, next to the 12V + power input.

If there is no amp, you don't use the wire. Before buttoning everything up, make sure it works & that there is no exposed wire (cut clean & tape off) to cause a short.

Jay
rubibluejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 07:32 PM   #6
rubibluejay
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I must be a slow typer today... Three replies before I hit the post quick reply button. I was sidetracked by my phone going off though.

Jay
Unread 06-13-2013, 07:37 PM   #7
MattBillyTayloe
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubibluejay View Post
I must be a slow typer today... Three replies before I hit the post quick reply button. I was sidetracked by my phone going off though.

Jay
Hahah, your fine man, so I was right about using the 12v switched wire or whatever that second one is?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Unread 06-13-2013, 09:13 PM   #8
rubibluejay
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Does the Cherokee have a 2 plug (grey & black) 7 wire (each plug) connection? If so, it looks like you can use the antenna (black plug, position G) trigger wire.

http://www.installdr.com/Harnesses/DCP-Wiring.pdf

Jay

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.