Wire for hard wiring 1000w power inverter - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Wire for hard wiring 1000w power inverter

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 11-29-2011, 11:08 AM   #1
cipher
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Wire for hard wiring 1000w power inverter

I want to hard wire a 1000w power inverter in my XJ. I think the only open spot for mounting is under the steering column. I figure it will require about 13' of wire to go from the battery to the steering column. My plan was to use two runs of 6 AWG wire from Lowe's. However, the guy at Lowe's said he didn't think their wire was what I wanted. Is the wire at Lowe's good enough? The cable I've found online is way more expensive.

cipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2011, 11:13 AM   #2
chrisml
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The wire from Lowes will most likely be solid or contain very few strands, making it very difficult to work with, especially in a vehicle.

Find welding wire and either solder on or crimp on proper lugs. If you can't find the tools to crimp on lugs you may have luck in a West Marine. If you buy their lugs they'll usually either let you crimp them on yourself or do it for you. Make sure to use heatshrink or electrical tape to minimize the exposed length of the connector to prevent shorting and also to waterproof the space between the lug and the insulation.

And don't forget to install a fuse next to the battery. The manual for the inverter will recommend a size.
chrisml is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2011, 11:18 AM   #3
MONSooNmonkey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Go to a local car audio place, ask them for rope wire or high strand amp wire.
You're going to want something around 6gauge, high strand count, gold\copper coated connections.

Also, why would you wire it under your steering column?
Unread 11-29-2011, 11:31 AM   #4
cipher
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MONSooNmonkey View Post
Also, why would you wire it under your steering column?
The inverter would mount under the dash by the steering column. I guess I don't understand your question. It can't be mounted in the engine compartment due to heat.
Unread 11-29-2011, 11:43 AM   #5
mylt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher View Post
The inverter would mount under the dash by the steering column. I guess I don't understand your question. It can't be mounted in the engine compartment due to heat.
not only heat but also moisture. water and electric dont mix. to figure out how much wire you need take a piece of rope and run it from the battery along the route you plan on running the wire then just measure the rope. what is the model number of your inverter? if its 1kw running your going to need BIG wire, if its just 1k serge then you wont need as large a wire.
mylt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2011, 11:45 AM   #6
MONSooNmonkey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
^ Mounting an inverter in the engine compartment isn't a good idea due to exposure to the elements.

Best place would be either under your seat mounted so that the cooling fan blows backward or forward, or in the spare wheel well with vents cut in the spare wheel well cover.
Unread 11-29-2011, 12:08 PM   #7
cipher
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylt1 View Post
not only heat but also moisture. water and electric dont mix. to figure out how much wire you need take a piece of rope and run it from the battery along the route you plan on running the wire then just measure the rope. what is the model number of your inverter? if its 1kw running your going to need BIG wire, if its just 1k serge then you wont need as large a wire.
This is the one I have:

http://www.blackanddecker.com/power-...VEC049DCB.aspx

Black & Decker Vec049dcb 1,000 Watt D/c to A/C Power Inverter

Max Continuous Power 1000 W
Surge Capacity (Peak Power) 2000 W
Input Voltage 12.8-13.2 V
Output Voltage 105-125 V
Fuse 35 Amps
Powers up to 8.5 Amps
Unread 11-29-2011, 12:15 PM   #8
MONSooNmonkey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
This is the one I have:

http://www.blackanddecker.com/power-...VEC049DCB.aspx

Black & Decker Vec049dcb 1,000 Watt D/c to A/C Power Inverter

Contains 2 power, 3-prong, house outlets . LED indicator shows state of the power source . Powers up to 8. Cables are included . Dual AC & USB outlets can power and/or recharge TVs and small appliances High and low voltage protection . Max continuous power: 1000 Watts . Surge capacity: 2000 Watts . Output Voltage: 115V Includes . Heavy duty cable set
Dude.

Go to a local car audio shop.
Tell them you have a 500watt RMS amp you want to run that tops out at around 1000 watts peak power.

You need ground wire as well as the power wire, they'll hook you up with the size and braid you need to support it.

I'm not bull****ting you, the only thing someone else might chime in with is a wiring kit. Well most wiring kits have ****ty wire and terrible crimp connections. A Car Audio store will have what you need.
Unread 11-29-2011, 12:36 PM   #9
cipher
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I will do that. Thanks!
Unread 11-29-2011, 12:59 PM   #10
MONSooNmonkey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

No problem at all, most audio shops will sell wire by the foot which is what you want.
Unread 11-29-2011, 02:51 PM   #11
beachrusso
2010 JK Wrangler 

You can also check EBAY for your wire look for amp install kits 4ga. I think under a seat will be a great place for your install i have a 750 watt unit under the back set of my JK and a 2100 watt unit under the back seat of my dodge ram
l/-\l-_l_/ --*OllllllO*-
\__/ - \____H ___H
(O)__) (O)__)---o-)__)
beachrusso is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2011, 05:54 PM   #12
mylt1

a 500w amp install kit isnt going to be large enough. B&D states for a permanent install within 6ft of the battery to use 2awg wire. a 500w kit is only 8awg and your making a longer than 6ft run.
mylt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2011, 10:45 AM   #13
MONSooNmonkey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylt1 View Post
a 500w amp install kit isnt going to be large enough. B&D states for a permanent install within 6ft of the battery to use 2awg wire. a 500w kit is only 8awg and your making a longer than 6ft run.
Yes it is, if you notice I said A 500watt RMS amplifier with a 1000 watt peak. I would bet my jeep that he won't be pulling a 500 watt continuous load through that inverter. However you do bring up a good point about the length of wire VS thickness, if he runs it to the rear of the jeep he would need something close to 2ga, IF he plans on running a continuous load of 500watts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachrusso View Post
You can also check EBAY for your wire look for amp install kits 4ga. I think under a seat will be a great place for your install i have a 750 watt unit under the back set of my JK and a 2100 watt unit under the back seat of my dodge ram
The issue with amp wire kits is that they often use thick housing on the wire to make it '4ga' wire, when in fact, the wire inside the housing is only 10ga or even thinner.
Unread 11-30-2011, 12:29 PM   #14
Fjaime01
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I would use 4AWG like some suggested. Rule of thumb is always install cables rated for the the inverters continuous power rating, just to be on the safe side. DCACpowerinverters makes a very good cable kit for a fair price........
Fjaime01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2011, 12:52 PM   #15
cipher
2001 XJ Cherokee 

How about this:

http://shop.genuinedealz.com/Items/I...re%20BLK%20/ft

Marine Grade Wire > Marine Battery Cable | 4 AWG Battery Cable UL
4 AWG Tinned Marine Battery Cable Boat Wire BLK /ft
This item sold by the foot in a continuous length

Price: $1.97 per foot

One of the primary concerns of professional technicians is cable flexibility. Marine applications are characteristically in enclosed areas with sharp turns. The less flexible the cable, the more difficult the job will be. The two factors effecting a cable’s softness are its stranding and its insulation. Our UL listed marine battery cable is made of type III rope stranded tinned copper and is insulated with a pliable yet durable, specially formulated compound. It maintains key physical and electrical resistance properties while providing sure power delivery and unparalleled quality. The electro plated tinned copper resists corrosion, extending the life of your cables and connected equipment.

FEATURES:
• Finely stranded tinned copper conductor (Type III)
• Color coded PVC insulation (See chart for specifics per gauge)
• Temperature Range: -20°C to 105°C
• Voltage Rating: 600V
• Resistant To: Acid, Alkalis, Abrasion, Flame, Gasoline, Oil, Ozone, Moisture, Fungus
• Applications: Connecting battery or generator to switch, starter or ground Windlass, Inverter or any high amperage equipment

COMPLIANCES:
UL Standard 1426 (BC-5W2)
AWM 1232/1283 (6-2 AWG)
AWM 1232/1284 (1 AWG - 4/0)
CSA: TEW
ABYC: E-8.14, E-9.14
Coast Guard: 33 CFR part 183 Subpart I
NMMA

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.