Wipers only work on "hi" speed, don't drop when off, NOT intermittent delay - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Wipers only work on "hi" speed, don't drop when off, NOT intermittent delay

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineWe have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieJeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wd

Unread 04-01-2013, 03:42 PM   #1
sachio
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Wipers only work on "hi" speed, don't drop when off, NOT intermittent delay

Hi guys, this is my first post. I've received so much good advice here for my 1988 Cherokee, but I couldn't quite find any info about this. I hope this is the right place to post, so here goes:

1. My wipers turn on at the last click on the multifunction switch. The one that says "Hi". They're not that fast at that, and that's a big minus for Florida weather.

2. When I shut them off, ie. leave that last click, they stop. They just stop wherever I clicked the switch. They could be straight up, halfway, whatever - so I always have to time it right.

3. I read countless posts about how it was probably the intermittent wiper delay, so I went ahead and bought one of ebay. aaaaand - I'm here asking still so it didn't work

4. I tried removing the delay module altogether and plugging the harnesses into one another. The wipers behaved exactly the same.

What could it be? Thank you in advance!

sachio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2013, 08:17 AM   #2
TDIJeep

It would seem like your wiper resistor block is bad, but because u say you dont get full power on hi, then i would guess there is either a short to ground in the circuit or a large unaccounted for resistance which allows only hi work because it is the only one with enough voltage to overcome resistance. Some time with and multi meter and you should be able.

Btw easiest to trouble shoot is if you lift the wipers off the windshield like your cleaning snow of.
TDIJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2013, 09:17 PM   #3
sachio
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks, I ended up figuring it out but I think I made the car worse - My battery is almost completely drained, and I don't know how or why this happened.

Let me first explain how I ended up fixing the problem, and then I'll tell you how it led to the next issue -

The reason the wipers did not function is because the previous owner switched out wiper motors, and only connected 3 of the 5 wires, because only 3 were the same color. He lucked out with the red, and the ground was obvious, but the third was incorrect. I had to do some sleuthing, and I ended up taking the red wire for hi, that worked, and touched it to all the motor wires until I found the lower speed.

Then I took all the wires from the car and touched them to that when it was switched to lo on the inside, until I found the low wipers. Then here's where something screwed up -

One wire had a constant current no matter what the switch was set to. This was the park wire. The one that parks the wipers when the wipers are switched off. But I touched it to the delay wire on the motor, the one that causes the motor to stop running in between wipes. When I did this, the car went a little loopy, the radio shut off, I lost my stored stations, a cd popped out, and all the lights looked a bit dim.

As the minutes went on, I finally fixed the wipers, but the car wouldn't start. I suppose it didn't have enough juice. And then the power drained more and more and more. I checked all my fuses, none of them are blown.
  • Could I have just drained my battery almost completely in that 1-2 seconds I touched the wrong wires together? Did I blow some fuse that I am not aware of in the circuit breaker?
  • What are those big metal circles on the circuit breaker?
  • Is there a simple way to figure out what I screwed up?

I guess for my own sake, I'm going to try and jump the car. I don't know what on earth I did besides touch those two wires together... Could I have caused a wire to explode or something inside the car somewhere? The switch works completely fine. I hope someone has so much experience that they know exactly what I did! or can at least guide me in figuring this out.

Thank you so much!
sachio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2013, 09:34 PM   #4
TDIJeep

Sorry man, I'd like to help you but its not easy from here.

you need to figure out which two wires you touched together and what each of these wires is connected to on the other end, a schematic will tell you the purpose of the wire and its electrical independence. with this i should be able to help you.

I would have bench studied the wiper motor and its plug, you may have fried something hopefully not your PCM.

Now may be a time to invest in a multimeter.

Good luck
TDIJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
1988 , broken , repair , wipers , xj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.