Winch will not work... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Winch will not work...

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-01-2012, 06:29 PM   #1
ChitwnGrnJP
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Winch will not work...

Hey guys, I just bought a warn mx8000 and I'm installing it on my TJ. However, I can't get the motor to turn. I mounted the solenoid pack under the hood and got it to click (took some time to realize it needed to be grounded though). So now I am to the point that I am getting 12v to the F-2 lug and the A lug on the winch. it still won't turn though.

I'm not getting any power to the F-1 lug. is that the problem? or does it sound like my solenoids aren't wired correctly?

Please don't bash me for not searching...I only have access to the site via my phone and when I searched, I only got one thread about an mx8000 wiring schematic. and the link didn't take me anywhere.

Any thoughts would be great! thanks!

Unread 09-03-2012, 08:08 AM   #2
ChitwnGrnJP
2004 TJ Wrangler 

bump
Unread 09-04-2012, 01:40 PM   #3
ChitwnGrnJP
2004 TJ Wrangler 

one more bump...
Unread 09-09-2012, 03:32 PM   #4
wardo
2011 JK Wrangler 

Have you figured it out?

I'd guess a dead battery bc those warn winches will put a strain on battery for sure.
2011 Flame Red 2dr Wrangler Rubicon, Poison Spyder Evap Skid, Extended Breatherlines, 4' Firefly Antenna, Uniden Pro520xl, Rock Krawler 2.5 Stock Mod Lift, Bilstein 5100's, Rugged Ridge XHD Front Bumper, Warn M8000, Rugged Ridge XHD Snorkel
wardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2012, 03:39 PM   #5
ChitwnGrnJP
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardo
Have you figured it out?

I'd guess a dead battery bc those warn winches will put a strain on battery for sure.
no, haven't looked at it anymore yet. I was hoping for some pointers before I played around with it anymore
Unread 09-09-2012, 03:48 PM   #6
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardo View Post
Have you figured it out?

Not that much, if his engine can be started the battery is good enough to power the winch for a test.

Where is the winch's main black power cable connected? Chassis? Battery?

There is also a small 16-18 gauge or so black wire leading from the solenoid pack that needs to be well grounded. Is it?

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2012, 04:34 PM   #7
ChitwnGrnJP
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford
Not that much, if his engine can be started the battery is good enough to power the winch for a test.

Where is the winch's main black power cable connected? Chassis? Battery?

There is also a small 16-18 gauge or so black wire leading from the solenoid pack that needs to be well grounded. Is it?
The ground from the motor is run back to the battery. I grounded the solenoid pack to the battery as well.

I was thinkin about running the motors cables directly to the battery and see if it spins...Does that sound like a good idea?
Unread 09-12-2012, 01:09 PM   #8
Indy

Using a pair of cables is the quickest way I know to test the motor. + to the battery and then connect the other side to one of the lugs. Assuming the winch is properly grounded the motor should spin. 1 lug does in, the other out. If it works and you have a good connectio between the battery and pack, the problem lies between the solenoid connection and winch connection.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2012, 01:17 PM   #9
Billy
1993 YJ Wrangler 

When my winch stopped working I had to get a ohms meter and go solonoid by solonoid and see if they are all working properly. ended up replacing one. Simply disconnect each solonoid and check for resistance. The one that measures resistance is your problem child and should be replaced. (if thats the problem at all. Just saying, thats what worked in my case.)
Unread 09-14-2012, 10:38 AM   #10
ChitwnGrnJP
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy
When my winch stopped working I had to get a ohms meter and go solonoid by solonoid and see if they are all working properly. ended up replacing one. Simply disconnect each solonoid and check for resistance. The one that measures resistance is your problem child and should be replaced. (if thats the problem at all. Just saying, thats what worked in my case.)
Thanks everyone! I'm going to look at it more this weekend. I'm going to test the motor and then work on the solenoid pack and keep narrowing down the problem. I'm honestly just afraid the motor is burnt up.

Billy...I hadn't thought of this yet so I'll try this too! thanks!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.