Will this work? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Will this work?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 03-21-2007, 07:33 AM   #1
samger2
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Will this work?

I have the inseat box made to SirGCal's specs...but I've yet to cut the hole(s) for the sub(s)...the reason I say this is because I'm not sure whether I'm going with one 10 or two 9's...I know the box is made for two 8's...but check this link...based upon these specs...will these speakers be ok in the SirGCal box?

http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/pro...products_id=29

Thanks!

Sam

samger2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2007, 09:16 AM   #2
NCJEEPFAN
1998 TJ Wrangler 

the specs seem to be a match for that box. i have heard alot of great things about the ED subs. the ? i have is, do have a place to buy them cheaper than $95 a piece? thats what is listed on the ED's website. for me thats alot of $ for subs for a wrangler. IMO, its a "wrangler" the sound quality kinda goes out the window (and the back, top and sides). if it were me i'd look around and find some other quality subs for alot less.

but then again, if you can find them alot cheaper than $95, forget what i said adn get them. if you do find them cheaper, let me know, i am getting ready to do the same setup too.

05 WK Laredo
4.7, 4wd......exhaust and gps coming soon!
NCJEEPFAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2007, 10:08 AM   #3
samger2
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Yes, I agree...$95 per sub is awful expensive. I'm going to see if I can get them cheaper...either ebay or I wonder if anyone locally has them
Unread 03-21-2007, 10:33 AM   #4
NCJEEPFAN
1998 TJ Wrangler 

i saw some on ebay w/ shipping for $85 each.

05 WK Laredo
Unread 03-21-2007, 12:54 PM   #5
samger2
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I wish I could get on ebay at work.

I know this question is asked waaaaaaay too much, but what's everyone's opinion on using two 8's vs. one 10 in this box?
Unread 03-21-2007, 01:41 PM   #6
NCJEEPFAN
1998 TJ Wrangler 

i think it depends on what kind of music you listen to. 2-8's will sound more tight or punchy and clean. 1-10 will have lower boom. depending on which sub and amp you use. i will be do the same box in mine soon and i'll be using 1-10 w/ 150 watts. i like all kinds of music and i got out really cheap (w/ the 10" sub and amp)

05 WK Laredo
Unread 03-21-2007, 02:04 PM   #7
samger2
1997 TJ Wrangler 

That's pretty much exactly my set up. I would be using one 10 with 150 watt amp.

I think that's what I'm going to do...get a JL 10 hook it all up. If I don't like how it sounds then I'll use the 10 in my Cherokee and get to 8's or two 9's and recut another piece of MDF for the box in the TJ.

I do prefer a tighter sound though because I listen to alot of metal and rock...but I think I'll stick with the 10 for starters
Unread 03-21-2007, 02:07 PM   #8
Island4x4
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCJEEPFAN
i think it depends on what kind of music you listen to. 2-8's will sound more tight or punchy and clean. 1-10 will have lower boom. depending on which sub and amp you use. i will be do the same box in mine soon and i'll be using 1-10 w/ 150 watts. i like all kinds of music and i got out really cheap (w/ the 10" sub and amp)

Actually whats going to change the sound is weather he uses a sealed or open box.
In SirG's drawing, he doesn't have each sub in its own sealed box so it won't sound as if each sub was fully enclosed.

If you're changing how many subs were used and how big they are, you'll have to re-work the dimensions of the sub box because of the change in air volume. Each sub requires different ammounts of air.

[COLOR="White"]White Jeep Club Member # 1337[/COLOR]
Island4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2007, 06:35 PM   #9
ChiliPalmer
This is Ames Mister...

1984 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by samger2
That's pretty much exactly my set up. I would be using one 10 with 150 watt amp.

I think that's what I'm going to do...get a JL 10 hook it all up. If I don't like how it sounds then I'll use the 10 in my Cherokee and get to 8's or two 9's and recut another piece of MDF for the box in the TJ.

I do prefer a tighter sound though because I listen to alot of metal and rock...but I think I'll stick with the 10 for starters
You'll be fine with the one 10". That's what I had in my old Thunderbird (one of my old Thunderbirds anyways) and it worked fine for that type of music. If it seems too "boomy" then stuff some poly in there, or you could even put a divider in there to make the internal space a little smaller, don't go out of spec just a little smaller then what you have.

Need a server? Buy this one!

COTM - October 2012!

If you want to help the sport of offroading visit the EnviroBeat Forum!

Blue Ribbon Coalition | Idaho State 4x4 Association | UFWDA | NAXJA | The KAT Team!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows View Post
Oh man Chili. I feel like a recovering addict that just had a bag of blow, a bottle of Jameson, and a sack dropped in his lap. You screwed me man!
ChiliPalmer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2007, 09:30 PM   #10
samger2
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Cool...thanks for the tip.

I started taking the seat apart...next step...cut the bars off and get my sub...then it's time to mount the box to the frame and put it all back...I'll keep you guys posted.

Unread 03-22-2007, 07:47 AM   #11
samger2
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Now for my next question. As far as cutting the bars out of the frame...I have a really nice powerful Crafstman electric drill...will this work to cut those off if I buy a cutting wheel for it? I just don't have anything else at the house to use...

Thanks
Unread 03-22-2007, 01:29 PM   #12
ChiliPalmer
This is Ames Mister...

1984 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by samger2
Now for my next question. As far as cutting the bars out of the frame...I have a really nice powerful Crafstman electric drill...will this work to cut those off if I buy a cutting wheel for it? I just don't have anything else at the house to use...

Thanks

Should work fine...

Need a server? Buy this one!

COTM - October 2012!

If you want to help the sport of offroading visit the EnviroBeat Forum!

Blue Ribbon Coalition | Idaho State 4x4 Association | UFWDA | NAXJA | The KAT Team!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrows View Post
Oh man Chili. I feel like a recovering addict that just had a bag of blow, a bottle of Jameson, and a sack dropped in his lap. You screwed me man!
ChiliPalmer is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2007, 08:18 PM   #13
samger2
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I ended up bringing it to work and used one of the cutting wheels there...worked great...smoothed the areas out a bit and put some flat black paint down on the exposed metal...now to cut the sub hole...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.