Wierd electrical problem: '96 Grand Cherokee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Wierd electrical problem: '96 Grand Cherokee

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-07-2013, 02:28 PM   #1
natuMzzri

Wierd electrical problem: '96 Grand Cherokee

I've got a '96 Jeep grand Cherokee I bought used about two years ago. The previous owners took pretty good care of it and I never had any major issues with it besides a corroded battery, which I've since changed. Over the past two years, though, it's developed a pretty strange problem with the electronic components. I'll list all the quirks:

- When the headlights are set on "automatic" they'll flicker while I drive but when I do it manually they're fine.
- The engine light comes on occasionally with no apparent problems
- The screen below the dash that shows the diagram of the car says the "coolant sensor is bad" and "rear lights are out" (referring to the taillights). Neither messages are true. The sensor is fine and every light in and out of the vehicle work properly.
- Sometimes the key remote doesn't unlock all of the doors and doesn't even affect the driver door.
- The stereo has never worked properly. Some days the stereo will turn on but the speakers won't turn on. It seems to not work when it's cold out. I changed the stock radio to a $100 Pioneer one and nothing changed.
- The automatic transmission sometimes goes into a phase where it doesn't shift out of 1st or 2nd gear when I accelerate. When it does this, it tries to stall when I slow to a stop.
- The heater and air condition has one setting: high and lukewarm from the dash only.
- More recently, all the inside lights for the speedometer area, the heater knobs, and the screen below the dash don't turn on at all (unless I hit the dashboard pretty hard)
- Again, more recently, the stereo doesn't even turn on at all. All the power wires are connected and there's no blown fuse, yet it doesn't turn on.

I believe that's everything. Some of these things were like that when I bought the vehicle, some developed over the course of owning it. Nobody I talk to knows what it is, so hopefully someone here can shed some light on it.
Thanks,
- W.

natuMzzri is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.