Why you dont put HID bulbs in stock housings... - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Why you dont put HID bulbs in stock housings...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 04-24-2009, 12:05 AM   #31
Dwatts5250
1997 XJ Cherokee 

anybody use those LED conversion ones in place of HIDs, they sell them on superbrightleds.com, I just cant see how they'd be considered brighter.

And most things you put on your vehicle after you got it, (in California) that weren't stock/oem, are considered aftermarket and thus illegal....but its a very grey area.... i argued my Hella horns in my tuner, and asked the judge if he ever put a locking gas cap on a car...answer Yes. reply, well then your honor, wouldn't that be just as "illegal" as my Hella's? *nods head* Dismissed. (But young man, I don't want to see you in my court again)

The laws are set up to work for the police given the average Joe wont bother fighting them, then there are the few of us (who are enrolled in various police & legal orgs. who know what to say) No...I don't want to be a lawyer....Ive never seen them have any fun, and never ever see any of them owning a jeep!

"A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of up to and including my life. That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it."
Dwatts5250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2009, 12:13 AM   #32
madrabbitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by CORNFED15 View Post
are those rampage conversion headlight kits good and are they worth the money?
Are you talking about the MSR ones with the completely clear (non fluted lens)

Quadratec has them for like 89.99

I've used the rectangular ones in my company's super duty, with both HIR and HID h4 bulbs.

HIR was nice. HID didnt give me as good of a cutoff on high beam as I was hoping, so I pulled the HID and went back to HIR.

"When you see someone who needs help, help them. When you see someone who needs a hug, hug them... Help those who can't help themselves." -Sgt Andrew Tingwall, NMSP. End of watch 6-10-2009
madrabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2009, 12:15 AM   #33
madrabbitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatts5250 View Post
anybody use those LED conversion ones in place of HIDs, they sell them on superbrightleds.com, I just cant see how they'd be considered brighter.

And most things you put on your vehicle after you got it, (in California) that weren't stock/oem, are considered aftermarket and thus illegal....but its a very grey area.... i argued my Hella horns in my tuner, and asked the judge if he ever put a locking gas cap on a car...answer Yes. reply, well then your honor, wouldn't that be just as "illegal" as my Hella's? *nods head* Dismissed. (But young man, I don't want to see you in my court again)

The laws are set up to work for the police given the average Joe wont bother fighting them, then there are the few of us (who are enrolled in various police & legal orgs. who know what to say) No...I don't want to be a lawyer....Ive never seen them have any fun, and never ever see any of them owning a jeep!

There are NO led HEADLIGHT bulbs. The ones that some places sell in the headlight size, are designed as running lights or city lights. They put out nowhere near as bright as headlights should be, and dont even put out as much light as 35 watt incandescent.

Again, there are NO LED replacement capsules rated for HEADLIGHT use.

Aftermarket LED headlights do exist, and in fact, i'm retrofitting some into a WJ housing. However, they are full LED heads with 10 superflux bulbs and the correct optics.

"When you see someone who needs help, help them. When you see someone who needs a hug, hug them... Help those who can't help themselves." -Sgt Andrew Tingwall, NMSP. End of watch 6-10-2009
Unread 04-24-2009, 12:17 AM   #34
madrabbitt

As for the laws. In most states, the laws are vauge, however, the general idea is, any aftermarket part you put on your vehicle must either meet or exceed the OEM requirement, or as a substitute, must meet a current DOT -or- SAE certification.

Unread 04-24-2009, 12:23 AM   #35
Dwatts5250
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrabbitt View Post
There are NO led HEADLIGHT bulbs. The ones that some places sell in the headlight size, are designed as running lights or city lights. They put out nowhere near as bright as headlights should be, and dont even put out as much light as 35 watt incandescent.

Again, there are NO LED replacement capsules rated for HEADLIGHT use.

Aftermarket LED headlights do exist, and in fact, i'm retrofitting some into a WJ housing. However, they are full LED heads with 10 superflux bulbs and the correct optics.
My bad, i just re-read the site, they are DRL, daytime running lights. brain fade....I blame it on the Earthquake and lack of sleep...cant blame it on drugs..never used them...(maybe I should start). good thing the weekend is coming, ill take the jeep out.
"A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of up to and including my life. That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it."
Unread 04-24-2009, 12:26 AM   #36
Dwatts5250
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Here you go Madwabbit. another person who is having LED HEadlight thoughts..i didnt even want to step in this one, seems to be your forte.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/what-pros-cons-led-headlights-taillights-etc-760203/
Unread 12-16-2009, 10:12 PM   #37
dbshea
2005 TJ Wrangler 

July 2009 Randy's Electrical Corner LED Headlights - Jp Magazine
dbshea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2009, 10:37 PM   #38
madrabbitt

Thanks for the link. glad to see a review of the LED's up.

As expensive as they are, they really are awesome headlights. We've put several pairs in utility vehicles that we built.

Unread 09-15-2010, 05:34 PM   #39
jeepkj617
2002 KJ Liberty 

Ok so I'm thinking about putting some HIDs in my stock housing. I am curious if that would be a bad idea? I have a jeep liberty renegade 2002 and want to put them in the renegade light bar. Because of this, they would be for off road use only. HIDs are illegal in my state (I believe) but so isnt the light bar? So as long as I dont use them on public roads, I should be ok as far as laws and inspections?

Thinking about buying a Cobra® 29-LTD 2-Way 40-Channel CB Radio. Anyone have install/antenna suggestions?
jeepkj617 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2010, 05:39 PM   #40
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

HID Lights for Offroad use only are perfectly fine but I suggest you keep the covers on your lights anyways. HIDs in offroad lights look very nice and spread light everywhere. Just dont ever turn them on the road you'd probably cause an accident

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2010, 05:43 PM   #41
jeepkj617
2002 KJ Liberty 

Im not too sure if you've seen the stock liberty renegade light bar. But I dont think there are covers for them available. Even the stock lights are positioned perfectly to 100% blind anyone in front or behind me so I dont use them on any roads with other cars around.

Also, does anyone know a good place to buy HIDs? Im really looking for 55w 6000K

Thinking about buying a Cobra® 29-LTD 2-Way 40-Channel CB Radio. Anyone have install/antenna suggestions?
jeepkj617 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2010, 06:50 PM   #42
compcrasher86
1998 XJ Cherokee 

ddmtuning has great kits search them on google, you need to find out what type of bulb the libby light bar is. Also take into account you need somewhere decently sheltered to mount the ballasts for the HIDs, not sure how much space is behind the bulbs in the liberty bar. There are covers btw I've seen them...

SOLD 01 WJ Ltd | i6 | QT2 | Moog HD steering | Tow Package | Boston Acoustics Audio | RB1 | Lou's Catback | Stone White |

Matt
compcrasher86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2010, 07:52 PM   #43
madrabbitt

Putting them up there in the renagade roof bar may cause heat issues due to the small size of the housings, plus you've got somewhere to put the ballasts.
Other then that, like he said, keep them covered while on the road.

Unread 12-19-2012, 10:16 AM   #44
4x4Reaper
2011 JK Wrangler 

What type of housing should be used to get the correct beam placement from HIDs? I have HIDs in my stock housings right now.

Last edited by 4x4Reaper; 12-19-2012 at 07:06 PM..
4x4Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2012, 09:45 AM   #45
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4Reaper View Post
What type of housing should be used to get the correct beam placement from HIDs? I have HIDs in my stock housings right now.
A projector and nothing BUT a projector should be used for road driving with HID lamps.

Unless the reflector is specifically designed for the length and beam output pattern of the HID bulb, then you need to use a projector.

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.