Why you dont put HID bulbs in stock housings... - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Why you dont put HID bulbs in stock housings...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 06-19-2008, 03:29 PM   #16
madrabbitt

we're talking about the aux lights right?

The US military has recently started using light force branded lights on vehicles. This tells you two things.
1. Some vendor is making a killing because you know they marked them up like crazy.
2. They've got to be pretty decent.

I know these guys who race baja. They've replaced ALL their hella lights with lightforce lights... both halogen and HID.

They're THAT good.

I would love a pair of their smaller ones in HID, but its a tad out of my range.

"When you see someone who needs help, help them. When you see someone who needs a hug, hug them... Help those who can't help themselves." -Sgt Andrew Tingwall, NMSP. End of watch 6-10-2009
madrabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2008, 03:31 PM   #17
madrabbitt

The cutoff is pretty good for a retrofit. Looks like DC did their homework on the reflector design.

Joe. There looks like good cutoff on the outside of the beam with the correct pattern cutoff on the top. There does look like theres glare in the center of the beam though. What brand housings are those?

"When you see someone who needs help, help them. When you see someone who needs a hug, hug them... Help those who can't help themselves." -Sgt Andrew Tingwall, NMSP. End of watch 6-10-2009
Unread 06-19-2008, 10:55 PM   #18
Slithering_Joe
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrabbitt View Post
...Joe. There looks like good cutoff on the outside of the beam with the correct pattern cutoff on the top. There does look like theres glare in the center of the beam though. What brand housings are those?
Hella (E-code).
Slithering_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2008, 11:10 PM   #19
madrabbitt

Good to know. thanks

Unread 06-20-2008, 10:31 AM   #20
----

Quote:
The cutoff is pretty good for a retrofit. Looks like DC did their homework on the reflector design.
Eh, I guess you could say that. More importantly, I would have to suggest (again) purchasing from a reputable dealer, not eBay or someone you can't talk to over the phone. There is another member on here that had a glare/mis-aim issue with his WK. -Turns out, the bulb he was sold as a "9006" had an arc bulb which was about one quarter inch lower than the stock filament. -So I guess there was a fair amount of homework on both sides, DCx's and my own.

As it turns out, YOU CAN INSTALL HIDs IN STOCK HOUSINGS IF YOU DO YOUR RESEARCH.

----------

For Reference:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showp...4&postcount=16

Last edited by ----; 06-20-2008 at 10:55 AM..
---- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2008, 10:59 AM   #21
mister17_5_9

Quote:
PS: Yes, you really are an idiot if you install HIDS in stock housings. Here is why.
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
mister17_5_9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2008, 11:04 PM   #22
madrabbitt

Here are some good examples of the glare.

this is a 05-08 era chevy truck with hids in all three housings.

The low beam wasnt too bad (keep in mind its 4:30 in the afternoon with the sun at our backs) but the fogs were throwing a HUGE amount of glare... it was hurting my eyes in the daytime thru a tinted window... thats how bad it was.

9:30 at night. Car on the left is a ford mustang with hid bulbs in the OEM housings. Car on the right is a newer honda sedan with halogen reflector headlights. And the camera cant show how dazzling the hids are compared to the oem halogens.

Unread 12-02-2008, 11:18 AM   #23
vp6799
1996 ZJ 

I have hid's in the stock housings on my 2002 explorer and have absolutely no glare issues at all. It even passed mass state inspection and the guy new what was in there because he asked. He put the truck against the headlight aiming board to see the aim and pattern and was surprised to see that there good to go. I have put hid's in regular rippled housings with bad effects, but have never had issues with a factory clear headlight lens housings.

Certain housings do respond better to hid's but they still need to be aimed according to light output. No housing or hid bulb is exact. They all need to be aimed after installing hid's.

I put some in my mustang with factory headlights and ended up selling them because of glare issues. It had the rippled type housings like these:

The reason is the inner reflector is not designed to spread the light output efficiently, so the lens has that rippled effect to help spread the light output evenly and efficiently. When you add a bulb that creates a crazy light pattern into this type of housing, it gets even worse. There is no aiming to these that could eliminate all glare, because of the rippled housing. Even though you aim them down, the light still hits the ripples and bounces back to the reflector or gets it angle changed and exits the housing.

I put some in my 02 explorer with factory clear housings and have had "no" negative effect with glare. I even had to aim them up a bit after the install. this is a pic of the factory housing:

I've been driving with these installed for about a year now and have "never" had anyone flash there high beams at or been pulled over because of them. It even passed mass state inspection with them on.

I will try to get some pics tonight of the lights in my X.

Last edited by vp6799; 12-02-2008 at 11:39 AM..
vp6799 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2008, 08:58 PM   #24
Slithering_Joe
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vp6799 View Post
I put some in my mustang with factory headlights and ended up selling them because of glare issues. It had the rippled type housings like these:

The reason is the inner reflector is not designed to spread the light output efficiently, so the lens has that rippled effect to help spread the light output evenly and efficiently. When you add a bulb that creates a crazy light pattern into this type of housing, it gets even worse. ....
That being said, I wonder how the Cobra version of the above lens (shown below) would perform with an HID bulb? It has the smooth surface with no outer refractor.

Last edited by Slithering_Joe; 02-15-2009 at 06:06 PM..
Slithering_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2009, 08:53 AM   #25
aaron7
1998 ZJ 

Bumping this...

Don't forget installing HID bulbs in housings not intended for them is also ILLEGAL in most (if not all) states.

I also highly doubt you'll see a (legit) D.O.T. mark on any ebay/craigslist/chinese HID kit.
81 CX500 - next victim...
aaron7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2009, 09:55 AM   #26
madrabbitt

Actually, its not illegal in that many juristictions. Its sort of a grey area, legally.

And you are correct about the DOT (or sae) markings. If the conversion has them, they're probably fake.

Unread 04-22-2009, 04:05 PM   #27
ooremy

Don't forget: the main reason not to instal HID bulbs in stock housings....because you run a huge risk of melting the housing and starting a fire.
ooremy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2009, 04:22 PM   #28
madrabbitt

Um, no.

If you're just going to say something stupid, why bother posting.

HID bulbs generate LESS heat then halogens, generally.

Unread 04-22-2009, 07:44 PM   #29
C2U5H
2012 JK Wrangler 

like mad rabbit said ... much less heat than halogen bulbs especially upgraded units like fatboys.

my hid retrofit is doing just fine with nobody flashing me or anything. made a lot of adjustments, including making an extra shroud with a cut up coke can welded to the stock shroud
C2U5H is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2009, 12:47 AM   #30
CORNFED15
2005 TJ Wrangler 

are those rampage conversion headlight kits good and are they worth the money?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.