Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Why have a dvd player in a vehicle?

1K views 11 replies 12 participants last post by  lostavatar 
#1 ·
Like the title says, why have a dvd player in a vehicle? Who in here watches a movie in their vehicle, especially on something as small as a 7" screen? The only use I see of a dvd player in a vehicle is possibly to keep kids occupied in the back seat on a long trip. Am I missing something here? The only answer I come up with is if a person has a dvd based navigation system, but other than that, what is the point of having a dvd player in a vehicle?

#2 ·
so you can say " i have a DVD player in my CAR" in a jeep the bumpy ride would ruin it...

i could see putting a little thing in the back for kids on long trips, friend had one when i was like 10, it was pretty spiffy.... kept us quite....

other than that, navigation... even then you dont need a 7" screen for that...

or if you get kicked out of your house and have to live in your car.... you'll have TV to watch!! well, movies any way..... :2thumbsup:

#3 ·
IMHO, there's zero reason why you need a DVD player in the dash, unless you want to make your own drive-in theater. Ones that can send a signal to add-on monitors in the back seat are great for keeping the youngsters quiet though.

Even with an in-dash DVD player, you can only watch it when you're stopped, unless you do some illegal modifications.

Even dumber, I've seen some DVD receivers that have a 3 1/2" screen built-in. WTF is that good for?!?

#4 ·
I watch movies and TV shows on my IPOD. I would love to watch them in a car and a auto-DVD screen would seem like a luxury. I would say don't knock it until you try it. PS2 in the car while your buddy drives? Priceless. Now, rocking the TJ basically precludes that for me but I still think it's cool.

Russo

#5 ·
I have a DVD player in my dash, and I wired it so it will play while driving.

Obviously I drive safely while it is playing, but stopping at red lights or just having it play while driving down the road is worth it to me.

But wiring it the way you're supposed to (legally) is not worth it in my opinion. If I was stopped with my e-brake pulled, why would I want to sit in the Jeep to watch a DVD on a 7" screen?

#6 ·
Two words: Baby Sitter :thumbsup: works like wonders on that 4hr trip to grandma's house.

#9 ·
I just use my laptop on long trips and its great for when your in the desert at night for 4 hours of nothing and no cars. Makes the trip go by so fast.

#12 ·
OK, my bad for reviving such an old thread, but I have one that will make you laugh. Last winter while driving my mom around for Christmas shopping I had a DVD of music videos I had burned. It was great, I got to listen to the music, and she was so awed that she could watch 'TV' while I drove her around. It was priceless. Again, apologies for revving such an old thread, I'm sure a mod will smack me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.