Why have a dvd player in a vehicle? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Why have a dvd player in a vehicle?

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 04-07-2007, 03:50 PM   #1
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Why have a dvd player in a vehicle?

Like the title says, why have a dvd player in a vehicle? Who in here watches a movie in their vehicle, especially on something as small as a 7" screen? The only use I see of a dvd player in a vehicle is possibly to keep kids occupied in the back seat on a long trip. Am I missing something here? The only answer I come up with is if a person has a dvd based navigation system, but other than that, what is the point of having a dvd player in a vehicle?

Unread 04-07-2007, 07:02 PM   #2
03Wrangler

so you can say " i have a DVD player in my CAR" in a jeep the bumpy ride would ruin it...

i could see putting a little thing in the back for kids on long trips, friend had one when i was like 10, it was pretty spiffy.... kept us quite....

other than that, navigation... even then you dont need a 7" screen for that...

or if you get kicked out of your house and have to live in your car.... you'll have TV to watch!! well, movies any way.....
03Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2007, 03:01 AM   #3
Exparrot
1993 YJ Wrangler 

IMHO, there's zero reason why you need a DVD player in the dash, unless you want to make your own drive-in theater. Ones that can send a signal to add-on monitors in the back seat are great for keeping the youngsters quiet though.

Even with an in-dash DVD player, you can only watch it when you're stopped, unless you do some illegal modifications.

Even dumber, I've seen some DVD receivers that have a 3 1/2" screen built-in. WTF is that good for?!?
LO Jeep Club #111 [and not proud of it]
Red Jeep Club #MC399
Exparrot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2007, 07:31 AM   #4
XRussoX
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I watch movies and TV shows on my IPOD. I would love to watch them in a car and a auto-DVD screen would seem like a luxury. I would say don't knock it until you try it. PS2 in the car while your buddy drives? Priceless. Now, rocking the TJ basically precludes that for me but I still think it's cool.

Russo
XRussoX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2007, 08:46 AM   #5
Rocky529
Jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have a DVD player in my dash, and I wired it so it will play while driving.

Obviously I drive safely while it is playing, but stopping at red lights or just having it play while driving down the road is worth it to me.

But wiring it the way you're supposed to (legally) is not worth it in my opinion. If I was stopped with my e-brake pulled, why would I want to sit in the Jeep to watch a DVD on a 7" screen?

Silver Metallic finish with black dual tops - Dana 44 Rear
2.25" Suspension Lift with Old Man Emu Shocks
Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift
Daystar 1" Motor Mount Lift
Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers - 32"x11.5" MT/R Tires
Rocky529 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2007, 09:12 AM   #6
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Two words: Baby Sitter works like wonders on that 4hr trip to grandma's house.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2007, 09:18 AM   #7
alvinl
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The indash DVD players are really cool, but just not for me. But I do own a portable DVD player that I carry along to entertain the kids.
alvinl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2007, 09:59 AM   #8
DTarlo
2001 XJ Cherokee 

obviously none of y'all who are wonderin live in large city, it is awesome for those long trips to work in 3mph traffic. and oh yeah keep kids entertained.
DTarlo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2007, 03:53 PM   #9
JPCCDD

I just use my laptop on long trips and its great for when your in the desert at night for 4 hours of nothing and no cars. Makes the trip go by so fast.
2006 Silver Grand Cherokee Laredo AWD. Have most of the stock goodies. MODS: P255/65R17 Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor, Hitch, 1600 watt inverter, 6-disc in dash MP3 player, rescue equipment, k&N intake, jet chip stage 2, electric cut-out . On list: custom bumper protection, skid plates, and roof rack.
JPCCDD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2007, 04:20 PM   #10
xxxflhrci

In the backseat = Kids occupied.

In dash = Young dork that lives at home with too much money to spend.
xxxflhrci is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2007, 05:32 PM   #11
mylt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxflhrci
In the backseat = Kids occupied.

In dash = Young dork that lives at home with too much money to spend.
X2.
its so nice to have the kids occupied when we travel. portable DVD players are a blessing.
mylt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2007, 10:37 PM   #12
lostavatar
1999 WJ 

OK, my bad for reviving such an old thread, but I have one that will make you laugh. Last winter while driving my mom around for Christmas shopping I had a DVD of music videos I had burned. It was great, I got to listen to the music, and she was so awed that she could watch 'TV' while I drove her around. It was priceless. Again, apologies for revving such an old thread, I'm sure a mod will smack me.

99 WJ 4.7L V8 Auto AWD
Intake, HIDs, Guards
2 12's 1200W 2ch, 600W 4 ch.
lostavatar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.