Where to send RB1 for repair? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Where to send RB1 for repair?

Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!Steinjäger photo contest!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Reply
Unread 04-21-2012, 07:00 PM   #16
cbmadcow
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Bedford, Massachusetts
Posts: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelbridgman View Post
United Radio in New York repairs RB1 radios last I checked, which was about 6 months ago. The last price quote I got was $380. The unit can't have external damage or the cost will be higher, meaning the screen can't be cracked. I opted to buy a RBK radio off Craigslist for $20. It does not sound as good.

mylt1, you suck.
I was going to say the same thing. They repair basically anything and everything electronic.
Here is there website:
http://unitedradio.com/

When I used to do electronic repair, whenever something would come in we couldn't fix that is where you would send it to.

Kevin

__________________
[B]1993 Jeep Wrangler lifted YJ
Previous Jeep 1998 TJ[/B]
cbmadcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2012, 12:52 PM   #17
terpsmandan
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Penn Yan, NY
Posts: 1,047
We used to use United as well. It is a sign of the times that trying to repair most consumer electronics is not cost effective.
terpsmandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2012, 02:05 PM   #18
cbmadcow
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Bedford, Massachusetts
Posts: 427
Quote:
Originally Posted by terpsmandan View Post
We used to use United as well. It is a sign of the times that trying to repair most consumer electronics is not cost effective.
Yep that is why the shop I worked for closed and I no longer do repairs. It too bad seeing all these smaller electronic repair shops having to close there doors.
__________________
[B]1993 Jeep Wrangler lifted YJ
Previous Jeep 1998 TJ[/B]
cbmadcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2012, 12:29 PM   #19
tj02tj
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Upstate, New York
Posts: 3
United Radio in Syracuse has one of the best electronic repair facilities on the East coast. They repair radios, Nintendo DS systems, AND alot of other stuff.
I have used them a few times and never had an issue.
Call 1-800-448-0944 and they will give you an estimate.
tj02tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2012, 07:42 PM   #20
mylt1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Virginia
Posts: 5,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelbridgman View Post
United Radio in New York repairs RB1 radios last I checked, which was about 6 months ago. The last price quote I got was $380. The unit can't have external damage or the cost will be higher, meaning the screen can't be cracked. I opted to buy a RBK radio off Craigslist for $20. It does not sound as good.

mylt1, you suck.
$380 would buy you a damn nice radio with install kit and sound 100X better. freaking n00bs.

OH, and for the same price give or take you can buy a working RB1 off ebay. and its still a rip off.
mylt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2012, 10:43 AM   #21
Sarge_
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: WY
Posts: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by mylt1 View Post
$380 would buy you a damn nice radio with install kit and sound 100X better. freaking n00bs.
It would also tip off thieves that the stereo isn't stock. And when you have thousands of dollars in hidden amplifiers and speakers in a car with no doors or roof, the last thing you want to do is tip off opportunistic thieves. End of story.

Freaking n00b.
__________________
'06 Unlimited Rubicon, Midnight Blue, 6M

Previous Jeeps
'00 TJ Sport 4.0
'00 GC Laredo 4x4 V8
'95 YJ 2.5L
Sarge_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2012, 04:15 PM   #22
mylt1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Virginia
Posts: 5,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge_ View Post
It would also tip off thieves that the stereo isn't stock. And when you have thousands of dollars in hidden amplifiers and speakers in a car with no doors or roof, the last thing you want to do is tip off opportunistic thieves. End of story.

Freaking n00b.
when was the last time a radio was stolen in the town you live in? i have had aftermarket systems since i have had a drivers license and have never had one stolen or even had a car broken into. knowing probably 90% of the PD officers in the county i live in i can tell you there hasnt been a "car audio" theft in YEARS. plus, there is a reason you pay for insurance, so your argument is pointless. also, as this thread has pointed out, some people are willing to spend stupid amounts of money on a factory radio(oh, thats right you are one of those so it makes sense that you want to argue about it), so which radio do you think will get stolen first, a $400 RB1 or a single din $130 aftermarket radio that can be purchased from anywhere? i can see common sense is lost on some people.
mylt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2012, 04:40 PM   #23
Sarge_
Registered User
2006 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: WY
Posts: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by mylt1 View Post
when was the last time a radio was stolen in the town you live in? i have had aftermarket systems since i have had a drivers license and have never had one stolen or even had a car broken into. knowing probably 90% of the PD officers in the county i live in i can tell you there hasnt been a "car audio" theft in YEARS. plus, there is a reason you pay for insurance, so your argument is pointless. also, as this thread has pointed out, some people are willing to spend stupid amounts of money of a factory radio, so which radio do you think will get stolen first, a $400 RB1 or a single din $130 aftermarket radio that can be purchased from anywhere? i can see common sense is lost on some people.
My Jeep had around $20k in 'hidden' and mostly secured electronics. If a thief noticed them, it's likely the entire Jeep, and countless hours of of time, would be gone forever, because it's easier to steal the whole rig and take it apart elsewhere. Duplicating all my work would take months, and any labor I did myself the first time wouldn't be compensated for by insurance.

Whether it's surfing in Southern California, leaving it at the airport, or leaving it parked at trailheads for multi-night backcountry trips, I would rather the electronics - the most valuable part to a thief - appear to be completely stock.

A friend of mine lost his Jeep from the airport parking lot for this reason. And insurance wouldn't cover the entire cost (three times the value of the stock Jeep), because he did a lot of labor himself.

Thieves don't go after stock electronics, but having lost two Valentine One radar detectors in other cars that were simply unlocked in my driveway, I don't take those chances.

Also, most thefts of head units alone don't meet the deductible for insurance (most people have $500 or $1,000 deductibles), so the thefts don't even get reported unless they're well over that amount, because using your insurance means your rates will likely go up.

Therefore, thefts are under-reported.

Furthermore, the digital signal from my ipod was wired directly through to the amp system (more complicated than that) so there was no loss of sound quality, and the Sirius sound quality sucks even on a McIntosh head unit, because it's satellite. Therefore I'm not losing any sound quality, and retain a basic nav system and decent Sirius browsing/info with the RB1.

I know you're just here to troll, but I'm using your efforts as an opportunity to educate people as to why retaining the stock head unit can make sense. Otherwise, do what you want. I don't care. Why do you?
__________________
'06 Unlimited Rubicon, Midnight Blue, 6M

Previous Jeeps
'00 TJ Sport 4.0
'00 GC Laredo 4x4 V8
'95 YJ 2.5L
Sarge_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2012, 08:54 AM   #24
gily25
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: CT
Posts: 3,260
For electronics that are basically headed to the trash if they don't get fixed try your local vocational technical high school or community college. Look on their website for the department head of the electronics area. They're always needing projects and if you're willing to make a donation to the school a lot of times you can get a cheap repair...some just do it for free. They do body work too if you have rust holes or need floor pans. Just remember they're students...they may not be able to fix it but make it worse...if its headed to the trash heap tho...might as well give them a shot!
__________________
iPhone app user; excuse typos...thanx.
gily25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2012, 09:37 AM   #25
TJJP77
Registered User
2002 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Somewhere, MI
Posts: 1,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge_ View Post
It would also tip off thieves that the stereo isn't stock. And when you have thousands of dollars in hidden amplifiers and speakers in a car with no doors or roof, the last thing you want to do is tip off opportunistic thieves. End of story.

Freaking n00b.
Bumping an old thread to support Sarge and also add another reason why some of us run stock gear vs. aftermarket:

I like stock radios because they look like they belong in the vehicle - usually the appearance is tasteful and restrained, and not some silly lightshow like most aftermarket stuff. It's really hard to find an aftermarket radio today that wasn't targeted at "kids" who seem to like the silly flashing lights and shiny accents. Yes, I'm old.

Years ago (1997-ish) I spent a considerable sum of money on a single-DIN Blaupunkt radio for a german car that looked serious and was tastefully designed. Instead of using a perimeter bezel like most radios to hide the mounting features, it had a full bleed face with the 4 holes for the removal tools just like an OEM single-DIN radio. It even had customizable lighting to match the vehicle lighting. It looks so stock, that most people are shocked when I tell them it's aftermarket - that was the desired result by the way. I still have that radio today and it still works great.
__________________
Chris
'02 Sahara
'06 Rubicon Unlimited
Sienna Jeep Club: Member #15
TJJP77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2014, 02:36 PM   #26
robgnts5611
Registered User
2004 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Ludlow, MA
Posts: 3
Hey
Just used United Radio Electronics, E.Syracuse NY to repair my RB1 radio (black screen & red laser fail).
I will update with the repair status, but the customer service was "off the chart".
Sent the radio out USPS on Friday 4/25, they called me on Monday 04/28 on repair info, paid for repair on 04/29 and will be returned for Thursday 05/01.
If the repair is a s good as the communication....this place is rock solid.
robgnts5611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2014, 07:35 PM   #27
pdpunome
Senior Member
 
pdpunome's Avatar
2000 WJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: , NJ
Posts: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by robgnts5611 View Post
Hey
Just used United Radio Electronics, E.Syracuse NY to repair my RB1 radio (black screen & red laser fail).
I will update with the repair status, but the customer service was "off the chart".
Sent the radio out USPS on Friday 4/25, they called me on Monday 04/28 on repair info, paid for repair on 04/29 and will be returned for Thursday 05/01.
If the repair is a s good as the communication....this place is rock solid.
how much was the total?
__________________
2000 4.0 Selec Trac
pdpunome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2014, 01:54 PM   #28
robgnts5611
Registered User
2004 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Ludlow, MA
Posts: 3
$350 was the total shipped....
robgnts5611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.