Where to send RB1 for repair? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Where to send RB1 for repair?

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Oconee Offroad Sales Tech are Available To Help!Zone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, Disc

Unread 02-23-2011, 10:12 PM   #1
Sarge_
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Where to send RB1 for repair?

It seems I my RB1 needs to be repaired - where do people send them to be fixed (other than the dealer)? Anyone know?

Previous Jeeps
'00 TJ Sport 4.0
'00 GC Laredo 4x4 V8
'95 YJ 2.5L
Sarge_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2011, 09:12 AM   #2
Sarge_
2006 LJ Wrangler 

No ideas?

Previous Jeeps
'00 TJ Sport 4.0
'00 GC Laredo 4x4 V8
'95 YJ 2.5L
Unread 02-25-2011, 05:02 PM   #3
mylt1

it would be cheaper to buy a used one that works than have a shop diagnose and repair the problem.
mylt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2011, 07:01 AM   #4
Sarge_
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylt1 View Post
it would be cheaper to buy a used one that works than have a shop diagnose and repair the problem.
Given how high the failure rate seems to be, and the cost of RB1's, that's not the answer I'm hoping for... This one's only two years old, but was only warranteed for 12 months. Easily the most unreliable piece of electronics ever...

The only reason I didn't go aftermarket was to minimize theft temptation. Turns out the thief is Chrysler.

Previous Jeeps
'00 TJ Sport 4.0
'00 GC Laredo 4x4 V8
'95 YJ 2.5L
Unread 02-26-2011, 07:52 AM   #5
commodore_dude
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Yeah, I'm just going to enjoy mine until it dies completely, then put the original 6-disc changer radio back in and use my cellphone for GPS. I like the RB1, but it's so much less useful than modern in-dash units that I just don't think it's worth doing much with.

1998 Buick LeSabre Custom
commodore_dude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2011, 04:48 PM   #6
mylt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge_ View Post
The only reason I didn't go aftermarket was to minimize theft temptation. Turns out the thief is Chrysler.
this defense is always used but the fact is its no excuse to not upgrade your deck. if car brake ins that frequent in your town its time to move. if you replace the deck and notify your insurance co then if the radio is stolen then they will replace it. you ins co will tell you what info they need so it is covered under your policy. you will be much happier with a good aftermarket deck that probably cost less than the RB1.
Unread 02-26-2011, 06:14 PM   #7
Sarge_
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
this defense is always used but the fact is its no excuse to not upgrade your deck. if car brake ins that frequent in your town its time to move. if you replace the deck and notify your insurance co then if the radio is stolen then they will replace it. you ins co will tell you what info they need so it is covered under your policy. you will be much happier with a good aftermarket deck that probably cost less than the RB1.
That's a nice contrite response, but I like leaving my Jeep at a trailhead to go into the backcountry for days, and having it look electronically stock. It avoids blatantly tipping would-be thieves off to the other thousands of dollars of amps, speakers and so forth. It also has a nice appearance, since the cutout is an odd shape.

Previous Jeeps
'00 TJ Sport 4.0
'00 GC Laredo 4x4 V8
'95 YJ 2.5L
Unread 02-26-2011, 10:22 PM   #8
mylt1

detachable faces are your friend.
Unread 02-27-2011, 08:25 AM   #9
Sarge_
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
detachable faces are your friend.
Again, that's a 'tip off' to thousands of dollars in speakers, amps, ipod, sirius and other electronics that are otherwise invisible. Even more than the cost of theft replacement and insurance claims (claims cost money too, in the form of rate hikes), it's the many, many hours of work that go into building the system all over again, as well as the ancillary damage reckless thieves do as they rip your car apart.

In a vehicle that's easier to break into and disassemble than any other on the planet, save for a motorcycle, it's better to stay below the radar. It just is.

Previous Jeeps
'00 TJ Sport 4.0
'00 GC Laredo 4x4 V8
'95 YJ 2.5L
Unread 02-27-2011, 06:11 PM   #10
mylt1

ok, i give up, you are full of it and no answer is going to suit you. hundreds of thousands of people install aftermarket radios every year and none of them use the excuses you do. a better deck does NOT mean there are thousands of dollars of radio equipment in a car. do you really think someone is going to waist the time to remove equipment that is bolted down? thieves steal decks because they are a simple rip and run. they are not going to take the time to remove door panels to take the speakers, tilt the seats to remove the bolts and take the amps, or open the rear hatch and remove the securing straps to hold the subs down(which you should be using). if you think they are you are delusional, and if theft is that prevalent in your town MOVE. of course i think your full of it to start with since no one with half a brain would install thousands of dollars of audio equipment in a jeep with a stock radio unless you have no clue what a good system sounds like. factory radios send a crap signal so the old saying "crap in crap out" holds true. in done with this thread. you chose not to listen thats your problem, not mine.
Unread 02-27-2011, 08:18 PM   #11
Sarge_
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
ok, i give up,
You should have stopped there.

Does anyone (who isn't an a$$hat) have a factual answer as to where to send an RB1 for repair?

Otherwise, I guess I'm going to have to relocate my family!

Previous Jeeps
'00 TJ Sport 4.0
'00 GC Laredo 4x4 V8
'95 YJ 2.5L
Unread 02-27-2011, 08:42 PM   #12
psouza1943
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Radio repair

Have tolerance, Sarge. Some folks opinions trump common sense, don'tcha know.

Years ago, privately owned radio shops contracted with the various local car dealers, with the backing of the respective factories. Those days are long gone, along with radios that CAN be repaired.

Modern construction practices require very specialized equipment and experience to affect a repair. No one will pay the price, so consider the radio, or other electronics a throw away item. The dealer may be a viable way, since both my local dealers can offer attractive prices on many items AS THEY BECOME AVAILABLE. Not a reliable source but some times one can get lucky.

Some links that may be of use, and there may be others out there,

http://www.replacementradios.com/
http://www.wjjeeps.com/nav.htm#PARTS

good luck
Phil
psouza1943 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2011, 10:05 PM   #13
Sarge_
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by psouza1943 View Post
Have tolerance, Sarge. Some folks opinions trump common sense, don'tcha know.

Years ago, privately owned radio shops contracted with the various local car dealers, with the backing of the respective factories. Those days are long gone, along with radios that CAN be repaired.

Modern construction practices require very specialized equipment and experience to affect a repair. No one will pay the price, so consider the radio, or other electronics a throw away item. The dealer may be a viable way, since both my local dealers can offer attractive prices on many items AS THEY BECOME AVAILABLE. Not a reliable source but some times one can get lucky.

Some links that may be of use, and there may be others out there,

http://www.replacementradios.com/
http://www.wjjeeps.com/nav.htm#PARTS

good luck
Phil
A two year old, $1,300 unrepairable OEM radio is patently unacceptable. It's... fraud. Really. I will keep looking. Thanks for the constructive reply

Previous Jeeps
'00 TJ Sport 4.0
'00 GC Laredo 4x4 V8
'95 YJ 2.5L
Unread 08-05-2011, 10:18 AM   #14
twagner4287
2000 XJ Cherokee 

RB1 Display

Sarge,

Did you ever fix your RB1? I am looking for a new display for my RB1 - did you fix yours and/or do you know a good repair company?

Thanks
Tom (former Army E5)
twagner4287 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2012, 05:57 AM   #15
joelbridgman

Rb1 nav

United Radio in New York repairs RB1 radios last I checked, which was about 6 months ago. The last price quote I got was $380. The unit can't have external damage or the cost will be higher, meaning the screen can't be cracked. I opted to buy a RBK radio off Craigslist for $20. It does not sound as good.

mylt1, you suck.
joelbridgman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.