Where to mount cb? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Where to mount cb?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-26-2002, 10:21 PM   #1
burt

Where to mount cb?

Where is the best place to mount a cb on a 2003 TJ? Under the dash somewhere?

2003 Wrangler Rubicon. Warn 8K winch, on board air, hi-lift, GPS. 4 1/2" RE LA kit, 1" body lift, 35 12.50x15 GY MT/R's on 15" Eagle Alloy wheels, TBT rock steps, TBT sport cage, Warn spots, 488 gears, lots of body armor, Currie anit-rock, Currie HD tie rods...on & on....
burt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2002, 08:08 AM   #2
93jeepyj2.5

I dont know where to mount one, but i would like to know how do you like your rubicon?

Have you taken it offroad yet, how good does it do?

Are the air lockers any good?

Is the interior different from regular TJ's?

-Heath

03 TJ Sport.....31" MT/R's on MT Classic II's
93jeepyj2.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2002, 09:41 AM   #3
RideRed04

I dont know if it will work in a tj, but on my yj, the space between the seat and the console is perfect, and then you dont have to drill any holes. I just took off the bracket. It is also a little easier to hear, being right next to you. Main reason is it is compleatly reversable, I can take out my cb, and no one will be able to tell it was ever there.
Unread 09-29-2002, 02:59 PM   #4
burt

Yes, love the Rubicon, have had her two weeks now and have been out wheeling 4 times. Mines a 5 speed manual. She creeps down hills with no brakes. Actually she creeps so slow in low gear I end up in 3rd gear on most hills and still don't use the brakes.

The lockers are very easy to use, so far I have only engaged them a couple times just for the fun of it. Most times I don't need the lockers when she is in four wheel low do to the limited slip in the rear end.

The enterier is a bit better in the 03's, seat back is higher, seat slides back more than the o2's, seat sits lower in the vehicle, I am 6' tall and I would not own an 02 or prior TJ now that I know about the new seat configuration.

I had been driving a 76 CJ7 for the past twenty some years, there is no comparison, the Rubcon is by far much more Jeep out of the box.
2003 Wrangler Rubicon. Warn 8K winch, on board air, hi-lift, GPS. 4 1/2" RE LA kit, 1" body lift, 35 12.50x15 GY MT/R's on 15" Eagle Alloy wheels, TBT rock steps, TBT sport cage, Warn spots, 488 gears, lots of body armor, Currie anit-rock, Currie HD tie rods...on & on....
burt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2002, 03:31 PM   #5
quadna71
2001 XJ Cherokee 

hi burt,
i'm glad to hear that you like your rubicon! this is what i'm leaning too for my new '03. everyone i've talked to said that this setup works very well and also it pretty stealth.

http://whitemetal.com/offroad/cb/cobra_75_wx_st_cb.htm

the sections on mounting the antennae to the roof rack didn't apply too much to me but the stressing of grounding the whole setup applies to everyone. the routing of the coax is pretty nice too - but i'm not going to slice the "X" in the grommet. i usually just heat up a spare tip on my soldering iron and gently push through a hole the same diameter as the coax. also, mounting of the cobra 75 in the cab is what i like. i'm planning on mounting my control box inside the center console - but with the jack/receptacle positioned in a way that it protrudes through the front of the console. that way you won't see it when it's not connected to the coiled mic wire and also it won't be open for kicking from the passenger or driver's leg. when not in use you just disconnect the coiled wire and mic and lock up - out of sight is out of mind in my book. if you click on his link to the cobra 75 listing on ebay it'll show you a better visual picture of the control box - this may help you get an idea of what i mean by mounting it so the connector pushes through the center console. hope this helps some...
chris

p.s. don't forget, a good swr check can make or break a good CB system!

2003 TJ Sport - sold, 2000 TJ Sport - sold
1993 XJ Sport - totaled, 1987 XJ Laredo - sold
1987 XJ Chief - sold, 1953 CJ-3B - sold
quadna71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2002, 03:15 AM   #6
GHJEEP94YJ

Does anybody have any pictures of their CB's under the dash in their YJ's? I don't want to have to get the console that goes overhead, and I can't mount between the seats. Any help would be appreciated.
Spray In Liner, Rancho RS 5000's
Use the long skinny pedal and you will be okay.

[URL=http://www.jeeps4me.com]Great source of information and fun.[/URL]
BLACK JEEP CLUB MEMBER #8
GHJEEP94YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2002, 07:50 AM   #7
lavoo
1998 TJ Wrangler 

here is a new place to mount, you do have to cut your under dash a bit, but if you ever decide to sell, that piece is like 20 bucks from a dealership to replace.
[COLOR=navy][COLOR=navy]98 TJ , 4" sl & 1" bl, 33" BFG MT's, FourXDoctor rockers ,Poison Spyder Trail Stinger bumper & corner guards, Custom air tank rear bumper,Banks Header, Raingler nets, Warn 9000 ,... plus many extras..[/COLOR][/COLOR]
lavoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2002, 03:49 AM   #8
Scrambler82
1982 CJ8 

lavoo,
Nice setup. I like it !
Does the radio get in the way of your legs.
How tall are you, maybe that will help.

I don't have the space in that area for my legs and the radio.

Thanks for showing the pic.

Do it right the first time !
Scrambler82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2002, 05:11 AM   #9
lavoo
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Not at all, I'm 5'10" , and I sit comfortably, I even sit close to the wheel. The only time I may hit it is when I twist to get out and that maybe 2 out of every 10 times. Its not like I whack my knees or anything , I just end up turning a knob. It also depends on what size CB you have , mine is a slightly older model, so its pretty big, alot of CB's now are much smaller and can hide or install rather easily.
[COLOR=navy][COLOR=navy]98 TJ , 4" sl & 1" bl, 33" BFG MT's, FourXDoctor rockers ,Poison Spyder Trail Stinger bumper & corner guards, Custom air tank rear bumper,Banks Header, Raingler nets, Warn 9000 ,... plus many extras..[/COLOR][/COLOR]
lavoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2002, 05:51 PM   #10
Scrambler82
1982 CJ8 

Thanks for the reply.

My a CJ with a YJ dask and the CB is a little oversized, I was thinking of mounting it to the roll bar between/above the driver and passenger.

Time will tell when I get to that part of my project.

Unread 10-10-2002, 09:47 PM   #11
Jeepfreak81
1994 YJ Wrangler 

antenna mounts??

where is everyone mounting their antennas... i want to put one on the tire stop... but i didnt know if those had a good ground... i dont know where else to put it...
Full Page Club member #004
Green Jeep Club Member #005
Jeepfreak81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2002, 10:05 PM   #12
GASPEDDLER

HAVE MINE MOUNTED ON THE TIRE STOP, NO PROBLEM WITH GROUNDING.

DEPENDING ON THE TYPE OF ANTENNA YOUR USING IT MAY SLAP YOUR THE ROOF POST WHILE OFF ROADING.

IT BEATS DRILLING HOLES IN THE BODY.

HTH

Last edited by GASPEDDLER; 10-19-2002 at 03:32 PM..
GASPEDDLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2002, 02:20 AM   #13
GHJEEP94YJ

I got my antenna on the 3rd brake light, I ran the coaxil cable throught the little hole where the wiring for the light goes through.
Spray In Liner, Rancho RS 5000's
Use the long skinny pedal and you will be okay.

[URL=http://www.jeeps4me.com]Great source of information and fun.[/URL]
BLACK JEEP CLUB MEMBER #8
GHJEEP94YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2002, 04:17 AM   #14
Scrambler82
1982 CJ8 

My Jeep is not completed YET, but when it is the antenna will be mounted on the tire carrier.
It will be a Wilson Trucker 2000 with extended lower shaft; these antennas are designed to run on mirror mounts and are not as dependant on the body ground planes (i.e. steel roof) as a standard antenna is.
Also, the tire carrier has to be well grounded to the frame, at least a 4 gauge strap, yes strap, is required and ground the mount to the carrier (other than bolts).

Running of the coax, huh, my thought would be to run it under the vehicle to the firewall and thru a rubber grommeted hole.

Well that won't happen until next year anyway, things may change.

Just my 2 cents...

Unread 10-11-2002, 08:33 AM   #15
GASPEDDLER

i ran my coax behind the passenger side tail light which is mounted just below the tire carrier stop.

then i drilled a small hole in the wheel well in order to get the coax into the passenger compartment.
a dab of silicone will seal that hole in the wheel well up very nicely.

i then simply routed the coax under the carpet secured to the sheet metal with duct tape.

quick and easy to get to.

a word of caution to anyone wanting to mount thier cb under a dealer installed under dash a/c.

be careful not to drill into your a/c drain pan which is located dead center below your center a/c vents.

this will cause your a/c system to drain into your jeep.

not a good thing
GASPEDDLER is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.