where do you mount your TJ's cb radio - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > where do you mount your TJ's cb radio

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 03-10-2009, 10:08 AM   #91
rroadkilll
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepin_Dave View Post
Here is how I mounted mine. I made some metal brackets, took some measurements, bent em 90 degrees and bolted them to windshield frame using the bolts for the visors. Extremely sturdy, I can just about stand on it. Doesnt move or wiggle. Bottom speaker is easy to hear at speed with the top off.

For the Antenna mount I made a fender mount. Small peice of metal, rounded the edges, drilled two holes, put a backer plate under the lip of the fender and drilled a 3/8 hole for the mounting stud.

Click Free...

I can't wait to tear it up in the mall parking lot with you some day Jay... we could park on each other's tires all flexed out taking up 4 parking spots, walk in the mall with our jeep keys dangling for everyone to see, hit up some abercrombie and fitch, then go back outside and hang out by the jeeps for a few hours... maybe get risky and drive over some curbs.. :highfive:
rroadkilll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2009, 10:44 AM   #92
Jeepin_Dave
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rroadkilll View Post
Click Free...

Thanks, how did you do that?
I wasnt able to get them to comeup automatically like on every other site I belong too.
Jeepin_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2009, 07:32 PM   #93
rroadkilll
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepin_Dave View Post
Thanks, how did you do that?
I wasnt able to get them to comeup automatically like on every other site I belong too.
You need 50+ posts here on JF...
I can't wait to tear it up in the mall parking lot with you some day Jay... we could park on each other's tires all flexed out taking up 4 parking spots, walk in the mall with our jeep keys dangling for everyone to see, hit up some abercrombie and fitch, then go back outside and hang out by the jeeps for a few hours... maybe get risky and drive over some curbs.. :highfive:
rroadkilll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2009, 07:43 PM   #94
zachbh
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You need 50+ posts here on JF...
25 now......
zachbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2009, 12:44 AM   #95
Redz72
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I had the Jeep Outfitter set up and it was recently stolen. $40 CB and they Stole it? scum bags...still sour about that
BLACK JEEP SOCIETY #218
Redz72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2009, 08:16 AM   #96
Jeepin_Dave
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachbh View Post
25 now......
Well I guess I need to get posting than ey? LOL
So whats this make now, let me see...

Oh 4 posts. Yippee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redz72 View Post
I had the Jeep Outfitter set up and it was recently stolen. $40 CB and they Stole it? scum bags...still sour about that

That sucks! I have had stuff taken out of my TJ before too. Its like easy pray I guess for the scum that cant find a freakin job and have to take from others. Grrr...
Sorry. Rant Off.
Jeepin_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2009, 06:12 PM   #97
Idaho-Jeep
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Good thread - as I am anxious to install my new CB before Moab. I installed a CB on my old truck about 12 years ago but it only worked at close range (the antenna was never tuned and I am sure I made other install errors as well). I want to do it right this time...

I have the Rock Hard cage and plan to mount the CB overhead. I plan to mount the 3' top loaded antenna to the front windshield hinge (on the passenger side, near the radio antenna - any problem with that?).

I think I have most of the basics figured out but would appreciate some feedback and advice here.

I plan on running the power and coax wires along the top of the windshield and across (passenger side) down to the battery and antenna location.

In the write up linked below, it is suggested to use a type of coax for the power & ground. I could not find this exact type of coax at radio shack. Can I use any kind of coax for this purpose? Should I just use some heavy gauge wire instead?

http://www.links4jeeps.com/writeups/BasicCB/intro.php
Idaho-Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2009, 09:47 PM   #98
LJameson
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Everyone probably wont like this, but it works perfectly for me. It's out of the way, and I didn't have to cut any part of my interior (call me a whimp, but I'd hate to do that). It's in between the drivers seat and the door.

-Chris LeDoux

I never could figure what the sky was thinking, but the soil, she don't keep too many secrets.
LJameson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2009, 10:34 PM   #99
GOTROX
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have a Cobra 75WXST. It is tiny, but I mounted the box for it on the inside of the cowl about two feet above where your left foot would rest. Not on the fire wall, but on the left panel.

I had to remove my seat to get it there. It was not fun, but it is up high and out of the way. I did not want it on the floor because I have been in water that comes up to the level of the seats and I did not want the electronics under there...
GOTROX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2009, 10:36 PM   #100
GOTROX
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho-Jeep View Post

In the write up linked below, it is suggested to use a type of coax for the power & ground. I could not find this exact type of coax at radio shack. Can I use any kind of coax for this purpose? Should I just use some heavy gauge wire instead?

http://www.links4jeeps.com/writeups/BasicCB/intro.php
If you make it to Boise, you can buy that coax here. There is a little CB shack out behind the truckstop at the corner of I-84 and Broadway. He has the Coax you'll need for your setup.
GOTROX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2009, 11:04 PM   #101
Cole99
1997 TJ Wrangler 

External speaker, zip tied to the rollbar, in between the front seats

My 97 Build/Modification Thread.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/modifications-97-sport-pic-heavy-678029/
Cole99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2009, 01:49 AM   #102
bmxrules39
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I feel like I'm posting this everywhere, but I just moved mine.
I copied the Jeep Outfitter mount
Unread 03-13-2009, 09:42 AM   #103
DeerStabber
1990 MJ Comanche 

thats where mines going like that mount.
DeerStabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2009, 11:00 AM   #104
Zoom By You
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Not a great picture but it's the best place for a big CB (Cobra CB 148GTL) like this....

2001 TJ Sport Amber Fire, Dual Tops/Dual Doors, 4.0, Banks Ram-Air, Banks S.S. Monster exhaust, five speed, NV3550, A.A. SYE/Tom Woods, 4:56 D30/D35, Detroit Truetrac at both ends, Solid diff covers, 4.5 R.E. Super Flex W/3.5 springs, adjustable upper and lower control arms, adjustable front and rear R.E. track bars, TeraFlex shock relocation brackets, R.E. Mono tube shocks, R.E. front stabilizer, R.E. 3/4" front spacer, 33 X 12.5 TrXus STS, M/T Classic-locks, ShrockWorks Rock Rails, Hanson 52" front bumper, EPi9.0 Superwinch with wireless control, Olympic rear bumper, Olympic Mountaineer rack, Bushwacker 6" Pocket Flares, Optima yellow top, IPF headlights W/ Fatboys, upgraded relay/wiring harness, KC Slims, Bosch rear lights, Garmin c550 GPS, Garmin 76S GPS, Cobra CB 148GTL W/Astatic Mic, Pioneer Sound, 3A Racing fire extinguishers. Manhattan Rated....
Zoom By You is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2009, 11:12 AM   #105
Coyote56
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Hey I have heard of a few guys wiring their CBs into their TJs & YJs stereo speakers. I have thought about doing it because I have trouble hearing mine from time to time because it is mounted on the back of my console. I can't really place it above my rear view like I would like to do because the guy who owned it before me drilled out some big hole dead center in the plastic up there. I covered that hole up with 3M velcro pads, ran my power cord up through the plastic and mounted my GPS unit there.

I was just wondering if anyone else had done it on here and could maybe post some pics and how they were satisfied by doing it.
Coyote56 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.