where do you mount your TJ's cb radio - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > where do you mount your TJ's cb radio

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 11-30-2008, 05:15 PM   #76
BaddAndy
2013 JK Wrangler 

Notice how we all have a cheapo Uniden that works great?

Unread 11-30-2008, 06:03 PM   #77
Goose927
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I was going to cut out the dash on the passenger side and flush mount it into the empty space were the air bag was. I will get some pics up when im finished. I havent found an antenna for my liking yet. Any thought on the 4' firestick.
Unread 11-30-2008, 06:09 PM   #78
-Rudy-
1997 XJ Cherokee 

How do you guys have the coax routed? Is it in the roll cage padding or under the carpet? I know that it's sort of delicate and was wondering how you go about routing it so that you don't kink it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahRose
something big and fun
-Rudy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2008, 06:16 PM   #79
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose927 View Post
I was going to cut out the dash on the passenger side and flush mount it into the empty space were the air bag was. I will get some pics up when im finished. I havent found an antenna for my liking yet. Any thought on the 4' firestick.
Personally, I like Firestick antennas so long as you get the model that has the tunable tip... a brass screw under the vinyl protective cap. Depending on where you mount it, a 3' may be fine too which will give you more clearance above for garage doors, etc. I had to go from a 3' to a 2' Firestick (due to the Jeep not clearing the garage door) but the 2' still works fine on the trail. The tunable tip Firestick models all have an 'FS' in the model like FS-2, FS-3, FS-4 where the number is how tall it is in feet.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2008, 06:17 PM   #80
drummerdude1234
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I mounted my Cobra 19DX IV in the reccesed junk holder thingy

I ran the power/pa wires down through the defroster vent and behind the glove box, and just tucked the coax between the panel and the glass, then it runs down by the whindsheild pillar and down along the rim of the tub.

I used some double sided velcro stuff to mount it so i can detach it when i park the Jeep for a while-you cant steal it if its not there

Unread 11-30-2008, 06:49 PM   #81
rocks4x4
1963 CJ5 

I mounted mine between the drivers seat and the side off the jeep. I can reach all the controls and the radio is out of sight from the outside.
rocks4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2009, 07:20 AM   #82
gcfishguy
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I went through this thread and a million others, trying to figure out where to mount my CB... Had to be out of the way, accessible, hearable (bottom firing speaker) and not somewhere where knees and shins would get smacked on it.

One piece of strapping, a mitre saw and 2 woodscrews and I built myself an overhead shelf and CB mount that doubles as a great spot to mount a switch panel.

Laugh if you will:
Bang-for-your-buck

*Edit - Having bought the jeep used in the fall, and never having the soft top on, I found out this spring that the door frames and the wood couldn't occupy the same space. (D'ohh) ...But, if you don't plan on installing door surrpunds, it would still work fine.

Last edited by gcfishguy; 06-26-2009 at 10:51 AM..
gcfishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2009, 07:29 AM   #83
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2009, 07:31 AM   #84
ScottHarr_TJ
2010 WK 

This is the first place i mounted my CB. now it sits a little lower and angled next to the t-case shifter.
Blue Jeep Club Memeber #132?
My Custom Back Seat Box Build
ScottHarr_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2009, 07:02 PM   #85
chutta
2005 TJ Wrangler 

that's how I mounted mine, tho direct over the skinny pedal and I use the driver side dash speaker to hear it.
05x 4.0 6sp 30/35, aussie front, 3.73's, r/c 4"x lift, adv adptr sye, shifter bracket, tw cv ds, 33 t/c skid, 33x12.5 dunlop mud rovers on steelies, psc sport cage/rockers, warn fr bump/steer and 30 diff skid, sirius,cb, hand throttle 1"bl/mml 265/16's pepboys at's on orig moabs for street. Lowrance H20c for gps
chutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2009, 07:40 PM   #86
LSU_TJ
TJ Wrangler 

Got a Cobra with Mic controls that fits nice and tidy in the center console. Just open the lid and pull the mic out and all the controls are right there in your hand.
LSU_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-09-2009, 10:30 PM   #87
Cotton
1997 TJ Wrangler 

This is how I roll! Just Notched the console and mounted the mic with one of the factory screws

Unread 03-10-2009, 06:23 AM   #88
Sparty
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I haven't been able to snap pics yet....and this might be the wrong way, BUT it's worked for me:

I ran the coax through the rubber plug in the firewall (up and to the right of the gas pedal) then along the frame rail on the drivers side. I then routed it up along the bottom of the rear of the tub, and then attached the antenna to my rear swing-out carrier.

I've had this setup for 5 years now and just replaced the coax because it was rusted out where it connects to the antenna. I checked the cable that ran along the bottom, and it was in great shape.

I have a very, very low SWR reading too
Unread 03-10-2009, 07:04 AM   #89
Jeepin_Dave
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Here is how I mounted mine. I made some metal brackets, took some measurements, bent em 90 degrees and bolted them to windshield frame using the bolts for the visors. Extremely sturdy, I can just about stand on it. Doesnt move or wiggle. Bottom speaker is easy to hear at speed with the top off.

For the Antenna mount I made a fender mount. Small peice of metal, rounded the edges, drilled two holes, put a backer plate under the lip of the fender and drilled a 3/8 hole for the mounting stud.

Jeepin_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2009, 07:36 AM   #90
ltdanyj
2004 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepoutfitter.com/cb-radi...cb-tj-749.html

I've had this one for two years, and have no regrets. Two things I've done different from the instructions though:

1: A little piece of padding between the radio, and the driver's windshield pillar. Started to see a little wear from the cb rubbing the trim. This solved that.

2: the microphone mount it comes with isn't that great, so instead I just use a sunglass holder on my driver's visor. keeps it secure when not in use, and if I'm talking a lot, I keep the clip open, and can hang the mic on it like a hook!
"Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945
ltdanyj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.