where do you mount your TJ's cb radio - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > where do you mount your TJ's cb radio

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 11-27-2008, 08:06 PM   #61
5_guy

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I have been watching these post for some time now trying to get an ideal where to mount my Cobra 29. Finally today I was looking all around for a solution on this very same question. I don't like the installs on the dash (sorry just not my taste) and not to fond of under the dash or on the side of the center console. I finally figured out "why not inside of the center console?"
So I took out the center console, built a support panel and mounted to the inside. I like the ideal as nobody can see it first of all, and with an external speaker there is no reason to see it at all. The wires and coax come from underneath and for venting the heat I simply drilled holes in the fake sub woofer panel.

When the install is complete I will submit some pictures.

Unread 11-27-2008, 09:49 PM   #62
jeepxguy_02
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I have mine in my center console as I posted earlier in this thread. Ive had it there almost 2 years and no problems. I just screwed to the inside of the console.(no support bracket) And there have been no issues. My jeep bounces around quite a bit and it hasnt came off yet. The only issue ive ran into is that you cant hear it that well when your going down the road 30+ top down and its just a little betterwith the top up at 40+. Probably just get small external speaker.
jeepxguy_02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2008, 04:24 PM   #63
jackbauersmom
2006 LJ Wrangler 

center console

teraflex mount

folds for parking garages (dd) (took spring off b/c it was banging the **** out of my hard top)

speaker on role bar

indyORV
treadlightly

Last edited by jackbauersmom; 12-08-2008 at 09:49 PM.. Reason: bye bye spring
jackbauersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2008, 04:40 PM   #64
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Jackbauersmom, how well were you able to tune your antenna with that long spring at its base? I was curious because springs like that add length to the antenna which can make it difficult to tune for minimum SWR.

So far as how I mounted my CB, it's bolted to the bottom of my 2m ham radio which is bolted to an aluminum plate supported between the two center spreader bars in my Toys By Troy rollcage.
cimg0975.jpg  

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2008, 05:04 PM   #65
19OlllllllO41
Jeep Addict

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Here is my current setup....
uniden-cb-1-medium-.jpg  
'83 CJ7
'92 YJ
'00 XJ
'99 TJ
'05 TJ Rubicon (Impact Orange)
19OlllllllO41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2008, 05:16 PM   #66
jackbauersmom
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Jackbauersmom, how well were you able to tune your antenna with that long spring at its base? I was curious because springs like that add length to the antenna which can make it difficult to tune for minimum SWR.
Jerry Bransford, have not had time to tune antenna yet, was going to try next week some time. only used it on trails and reception seems to be o.k. i've also thought about taking the spring off because with the hardtop on, it bangs the poop out of it. just worried that the antenna won't flex enough on trails and such.

indyORV
treadlightly
jackbauersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2008, 05:25 PM   #67
-Rudy-
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Nice setup, Jerry. I really like that. I'm just concerned with theft. Would hate to have the damn antennas or CB's stolen.

As it is someone stole my regular antenna...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahRose
something big and fun
-Rudy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2008, 05:41 PM   #68
Jerry Bransford

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbauersmom View Post
Jerry Bransford, have not had time to tune antenna yet, was going to try next week some time. only used it on trails and reception seems to be o.k. i've also thought about taking the spring off because with the hardtop on, it bangs the poop out of it. just worried that the antenna won't flex enough on trails and such.
The antenna being longer due to the spring and not having been tuned yet won't really affect its ability to receive in a noticeable way. An untuned antenna that produces a high SWR will significantly affect how much power it transmits with though.

Unread 11-28-2008, 07:05 PM   #69
ni0h

Jerry: How long have you used that aluminum plate? I made something similar, and after a few years, the metal fatigued and cracked around the washers the mounting screws went through.
ni0h is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2008, 07:18 PM   #70
ImaginaryFriend
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I didn't like the idea of the cb being over my head and a cord hanging down (yes, I'm picky about certain things), and I didn't like most of the "standard" mounting locations I found when searching, so I mounted it partially into the shifter console. I got the idea from someone around here, but don't recall the name.

I have since added the mic clip and it is not in my way at all.
I also have an external speaker mounted to my sport bar right next to my left ear.
img_1501-web.jpg   img_1494-web.jpg  
ImaginaryFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2008, 07:37 PM   #71
kb9qdi
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

So far as how I mounted my CB, it's bolted to the bottom of my 2m ham radio which is bolted to an aluminum plate supported between the two center spreader bars in my Toys By Troy rollcage.
Very true. A direct conection is a much better way to go and easier to tune.

I don't care for springs myself but he should be ok with the spring. Typicaly on 11M (CB) a longer antenna like a 102" whip is best but way too long for trail riding. I run a 2ft whip on the trail with 12ft of mini 8 coax and soldered my own PL259's to make sure I had a perfect conection. My antenna is mounted to my tire carrier (frame ground) on the center post and my 2M antenna is on the tail gate on the far right side using a 5/8 wave whip that works great with my Yaesu 1500M.

If there is a high SWR you can either use a tunable length antenna adjusted at the tip or tune with your coax in 3ft sections. I see alot of people using 18ft of coax and bundeling it up too tight making a RF choke also causing your SWR to go way up. If you have extra coax always wrap it in a 12 to 16 inch circle (elbow to hand roll) and wire tire it in the center. This will help alot or just use a shorter 9ft or 12ft section and be done with it.

My SWR is 1:3 on the CB this way and 1:1 on the 2M. Always make sure you have a good ground when mounting your antenna. A poor ground will give you a high SWR also.

Good Luck with the tune!

06 TJ D30/8.8 Aussied, 4.88's, 35" KM2's

Hill Top ORV Harrison,Ohio
Terrain Stompers Cincinnati,Ohio
[COLOR="Red"]RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #443[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

Last edited by kb9qdi; 11-28-2008 at 08:44 PM..
kb9qdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2008, 11:48 PM   #72
Jerry Bransford

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb9qdi View Post
I see alot of people using 18ft of coax and bundeling it up too tight making a RF choke also causing your SWR to go way up. If you have extra coax always wrap it in a 12 to 16 inch circle (elbow to hand roll) and wire tire it in the center. This will help alot or just use a shorter 9ft or 12ft section and be done with it.
On the type of antennas we use for our CBs in our Jeeps, the length of coax used does not affect the SWR. Run the length that is needed whether it be 8', 10', 11', 15', 16', or whatever length it takes. SOME antennas, notably balanced, are sensitive to their feedline length but not the type of antenna we're using for. Note that some cheap SWR meters can make it appear to the uninitiated that coax length affects SWR but it really is only affecting the SWR meter itself, not the antenna's true SWR. Really. And the 18' length thing, that I admit sounds plausible to those with a smattering of an electronics education, is strictly an old wive's tale that has been disproven many times.

Unread 11-29-2008, 05:13 AM   #73
kb9qdi
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
On the type of antennas we use for our CBs in our Jeeps, the length of coax used does not affect the SWR. Run the length that is needed whether it be 8', 10', 11', 15', 16', or whatever length it takes. SOME antennas, notably balanced, are sensitive to their feedline length but not the type of antenna we're using for. Note that some cheap SWR meters can make it appear to the uninitiated that coax length affects SWR but it really is only affecting the SWR meter itself, not the antenna's true SWR. Really. And the 18' length thing, that I admit sounds plausible to those with a smattering of an electronics education, is strictly an old wive's tale that has been disproven many times.
All very true. Thats the Ham in me sneeking out

06 TJ D30/8.8 Aussied, 4.88's, 35" KM2's

Hill Top ORV Harrison,Ohio
Terrain Stompers Cincinnati,Ohio
[COLOR="Red"]RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #443[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
kb9qdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2008, 07:36 AM   #74
BaddAndy
2013 JK Wrangler 

Unread 11-30-2008, 03:03 PM   #75
jchappy
2011 JK Wrangler 

Here is how i mounted mine
CB, ham radio, XM radio and GPS
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/b...y/PB300011.jpg

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/b...y/PB300012.jpg

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/b...y/PB300013.jpg
MY NEW JEEP- 2011 JEEP JKUR, Body Armor front bumper, Warn XD9000I winch, Synthetic winch line,XRC Rear Bumper W/Tire carrier, OBA W/1Gal Tank, Terafex 2.5in spring lift, Bilstein 5100 shocks,GY 315/70R17 Duratracs, 4.88 G2 gears, Cobra 75 CB

MY OLD JEEP-1999 Wrangler Sport 4.0L, 4" Pro Comp Lift, 33" BFG's, 8K winch, SYE, Viking soft top, onboard CO2 and all the recovery straps and equipment
jchappy is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.