What's a good handheld GPS for desert exploring? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > What's a good handheld GPS for desert exploring?

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-09-2014, 08:12 PM   #1
brokenyoujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

What's a good handheld GPS for desert exploring?

I've recently taken up gold prospecting with a drywasher and it's going to put me in the Mojave and area's up near the Nevada desert. I'm looking for a dependable, versatile, software loadable handheld. Any suggestions?

brokenyoujoint is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2014, 09:03 PM   #2
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

I like Garmin.
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2014, 09:11 PM   #3
Stinkbug

1997 TJ Wrangler 

I like my Garmin 62s (discontinued) loaded with Garmin TOPO USA USGS 1:24,000 scale maps and rarely head off-road without it. It syncs well with Garmins software allowing you to pre-plan routes, destinations, etc. I also enjoy the "track back feature". While neither of these features is unique to my particular unit, I have found the 62s to be durable, easy to use, and light on battery usage (12 volt plug available).

I am sure there will be plenty chiming in with the necessity of having a paper map as well and I agree. The paper maps give you "the big picture" of your location and help you to see things / places that might be just out of view on your screen. Once you become proficient with a topo map and compass it adds a second layer of security and comfort to your boondocking experience.

Personally, I don't only carry them as a backup, I actually get enjoyment out of teaching my son to navigate with a map, compass, and a protractor.
Stinkbug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2014, 09:13 PM   #4
athos76
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkbug View Post
I like my Garmin 62s loaded with Garmin TOPO USA USGS 1:24,000 scale maps.

However, I also carry paper maps as well. I enjoy navigating with a map, compass, and a protractor. Once you become proficient with a topo map and compass it adds a second layer of security and comfort to your boondocking experience.
Where do you get your paper maps from? I love hiking around the Franklin Mts in El Paso and up in NM when I get the chance, but sourcing the paper maps is friggin difficult.
Unread 09-09-2014, 09:16 PM   #5
dcope17
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I use a Garmin 60CSx. Lasts almost all day on 2 AA batteries. Its outdated now but I don't know what the newer version is.

Life with Christ can be explained like a Jeep...
Being in the Word... grows your tire size.
Prayer... gains more ground clearance.
Fellowship... Is like having a good spotter.

The more of these you have... the easier it is to get over obstacles in your path.
.[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f194/dcope17s-thoughts-bible-please-read-only-do-not-post-1333441/#post13115090"]My Bible Thread[/URL]
dcope17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2014, 09:24 PM   #6
Stinkbug

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by athos76 View Post
Where do you get your paper maps from? I love hiking around the Franklin Mts in El Paso and up in NM when I get the chance, but sourcing the paper maps is friggin difficult.
You can print them directly from the Garmin desktop software but I prefer a larger size map than my printer can print on one page.

In the past I have picked the maps at the ranger station in the area I am visiting.

However, lately, I have been ordering them from mytopo.com. I find the price is fair (about $15), great quality, customizable, and very convenient.
Stinkbug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2014, 09:36 PM   #7
AZBang
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Try your phone. Very cool app. Have used it from Arizona to Washington on three different phones.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...igator.license
AZBang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2014, 09:51 PM   #8
suicideking
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZBang View Post
Try your phone. Very cool app. Have used it from Arizona to Washington on three different phones.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...igator.license
I also use Back Country Navigator. I have it loaded on my tablet and use a bluetooth GPS. You can also just use a cell phone. I think Back Country Nav is only for android. There's an app for iPhone too, but don't recall what it is.
suicideking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2014, 10:22 PM   #9
brokenyoujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcope17 View Post
I use a Garmin 60CSx. Lasts almost all day on 2 AA batteries. Its outdated now but I don't know what the newer version is.
found one on CL for 150...wondering if I should get it.
Unread 09-09-2014, 10:24 PM   #10
brokenyoujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

not going to trust my cell phone when I've 200 miles in the desert.
Unread 09-09-2014, 10:26 PM   #11
chris142
2002 TJ Wrangler 

any luck finding it? ive got about 1\8oz from coolgardie near barstow,ca and another 1\8 from crushing and panning rocks from johnson valley..thats actully more fun since you can sometimes see the gold in the rock
chris142 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2014, 10:30 PM   #12
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenyoujoint View Post
found one on CL for 150...wondering if I should get it.
I've owned 3 Garmin Streetpilot 60 series (2 were stolen) and it's a great rugged unit. Caution on depending on a cell phone GPS, many depend on having a cell signal to work.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2014, 10:31 PM   #13
brokenyoujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

just starting and getting ready for the cooler season. No way in hell I'm heading out there right now. 103+ and me don't mix well. Just bought a goldbuddy pony drywasher, got a garvin roof rack, containers, and all the crap that goes along with prospecting. Now I'm looking at survival readiness. As of now, I'm 1k in the hole from gear, etc. So I need to find an oz just to break even.. lol.
Im in La Mesa and will be hitting up the Twenty nine palms area in about 6 wks or so for a week . Then heading up to the Needles area and Randsburg. It's about as desolate and baron as Mars out there and wanna be prepared. Working on my gun purchase right now to. Sig 1911 .38 Ya never know what kind of tweakers are out there.
Unread 09-09-2014, 11:01 PM   #14
AZBang
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenyoujoint View Post
not going to trust my cell phone when I've 200 miles in the desert.
You can download the maps for the area you are going to in advance. You can always keep your phone charged from your jeep. Phone gps works as good as any hand held gps. The maps are great. They even show jeep trails and what not. Try it you'll like it. Have never got lost using it.
AZBang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2014, 11:11 PM   #15
brokenyoujoint
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I'll check into it. I get what your saying but I'd also like something live in case I get misplaced.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.