What should i get if a cb wont do? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > What should i get if a cb wont do?

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 09-28-2005, 07:13 PM   #1
96cherokeeclass
1996 XJ Cherokee 

What should i get if a cb wont do?

Here is the deal out at the dear lease we use hand held walkie-talkies to chat back and forth. But im making my old 84 waggy XJ a deer lease vehicle. Its well on its way, camoed out and everything but i got to thinking how cool it would be if the jeep could have some sort of a homebase for the radios. with a good enough signal to transmit a couple miles. Any ideas?

Unread 09-28-2005, 07:39 PM   #2
fourwheelhigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96cherokeeclass
Here is the deal out at the dear lease we use hand held walkie-talkies to chat back and forth. But im making my old 84 waggy XJ a deer lease vehicle. Its well on its way, camoed out and everything but i got to thinking how cool it would be if the jeep could have some sort of a homebase for the radios. with a good enough signal to transmit a couple miles. Any ideas?
Well you can use a CB for this, all you would have to do is get a CB base station with a big antenna like 30+ feet and a CB in your xj. I dont know what kind of walkie talkies you are useing but someone might make a base station for whatever frequency they use.
fourwheelhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2005, 08:44 PM   #3
Caesars0331

Something like this???

"This is the original W.W.II radio station that was mounted in American Jeeps or carried as a back-pack into battle by American GI's. The Radio Stations are dated 1944 and use the famous BC-1306 Radio Transmitter and Receiver. We have found these very rare last remaining radio stations in the world. Stored and forgotten for over 50 years in a dark warehouse. These radios were shipped from USA as part of US Lend Lease program in the war against Nazi Germany. The SCR-694 can operate with the wartime BC-611 walkie-talkie's and the post-war GRC-9 radio sets, as well as many other HF radios.

Radio Set SCR-694 is a HF two-way radio Receiver / Transmitter and radio telegraph unit which can provide communication between moving or stationary vehicles, or as a portable field radio set. The radio set can provide communication for up to 15 miles on voice (AM) and 30 miles on (CW) between moving vehicles, and a much longer range if used in stationary position with a long antenna. Frequency range is 3,800 kHz - 6,500 Khz. Uses tubes and works from 6, 12 or 24 Volts DC.

The radios are supplied fully operational with a DY-88 Power Unit and are in fair condition with the usual paint scratches on the case. The DY-88 Power Unit is post-war improvement to the war time PE-237 and is considerable smaller and much lighter in design. Optional accessories can include Hand Crank Generator with seat, Antenna System, Spares Tube Kit, Canvas Bags, Jeep Mounting Plates, etc."

From Army Radio

2" REBB, 1.25" JKS BL, 1" JKS BMML, 33x10.5x15 BFG AT, ******* LED tail lights, 55w backup lights, Compustar Remote Starter / Alarm

Semper Fidelis

Fortes Fortuna Juvat
Caesars0331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2005, 08:51 PM   #4
ChaoticBastard
2012 JK Wrangler 

Hi if you want to use your Jeep as a Base Station.Very Simple.Buy a Radio preferably Cobra 148 GTL,Get it peaked and Tuned at a Truck stop.That radio has Dual Finals In it and if you ran a Decent Antenna.Like a Wilson 5000.You could throw as far as 15 Miles easily.You do not need a Base Station.Although most base Stations also run off of 12v DC.The President Washington is a Good base unit you could run in there.And Realistic Has the Navaho Models that can by peaked and tuned as well.If you really want to go extreme you can buy an Antron 99 18 foot Antenna.That is used for a Home.Hook it up to a Pole and run some coax that you can Quick connect too when you pull your Jeep Close.Then just leave the jeep there and Walla.PM me if you need any other help.I know of many different ideas that you can use.
MetalHead Jeep Club Member #33
Quote:
Originally Posted by kairo
what's wrong with bombing poor people? It has all the awesomeness of bombing combined with removal of crime. It's like a win win situation.
Unwad your panties
ChaoticBastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2005, 10:58 PM   #5
TJ-n-Oregon

Piece of cake. Just install plain Jane simple CB mobiles (like most of us Jeepers do) in your rig(s). Use a decent antenna as was mentioned...not a cheap magot mount.

Now, the base you can also use a simple mobile radio on a 12VDC power supply if you want to...modifying it with a desk power mic later, etc. That will help keep the cost down. And as was mentioned, the Antron 99 (Model A99) is a decent performing little vertical ground plane base antenna that is reasonably priced. I've run set ups like this, and when done correctly perform well...for ground plane stations anyway.

You'd easily be able to contact the base if the base station antenna is high enough. FCC restricts CB base antennas to 60ft (and do that for a reason). But at 60ft, you'll have no problems at all. The higher the antenna, the better receive/transmit the base will have. And if you take the time to install decent antennas in the mobiles too, you'll have even better communication distances with the base station...typically anyway. I don't care much for using the word "range" because there are way too may criteria that come into play to determine such a number (terrain, conditions, mobile and base equipment being used, etc).

Of course there are a few minor details missing in all this, but honestly it's not all that complicated. Set it up right so when DX (skip) is rolling, you aren't struggling to hear each other over the DX. And if you want a directional antenna system (which is what I prefer to run) it'll cost you more, and be a bit more complicated...but better performing.

Hope that helps some.

'02 TJ Sport with a few mods
'95 XJ with a few mods'
TJ-n-Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2005, 05:38 AM   #6
k8ysv
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I wouldn't go all out fo ra "Base Station" radio. You shouldn't need it. Any CB on the market will put out 4 watts of power which is the maximum legal limit for AM on CB. An expensive base station type radio will not do any better than a decent mobile rig. Sure, it will have more bells and whistles, more knobs to tweak, but unless your goal is to sit there fiddling with the radio all the time, what's the point?

Your best bet is to get a good antenna system and get it tuned to the radio. A good sized whip, mounted to the vehicle properly, and SWR matched to the radio will be fine for what you need. I agree that a magnet mount antenna won't do you a whole lot of good.

I may be a bit dense this morining, but I'm having trouble understanding why some think you'd want to have a mobile radio and a fixed antenna system. I'm confused. If that's what you want, then yeah. Get a good antenna up as high as you can.
2004 Patriot Blue Wrangler X, 33"x10.5" BFG Mud Terrains, 4WDH 2" lift with 3/4 inch spacers, 1" BL, 1" Brown Dog MML, Yukon 4.56 gears, Yukon Super 35, ARBs front and rear, Warn 9.5ti winch, GPS, MP3, Some hooks and lotsa skids.
k8ysv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2005, 09:06 AM   #7
TJ-n-Oregon

Quote:
Originally Posted by k8ysv
I may be a bit dense this morining, but I'm having trouble understanding why some think you'd want to have a mobile radio and a fixed antenna system. I'm confused.
Easy question(s) to answer. It works much better than trying to use a mobile antenna for a base...for the same money and a hell of lot less time. It's pretty much a no brainer installing an Antron99...and it'll out perform any mobile antenna hands down.

So why waste the time and money trying to use a POS 1/4 wave whip when acceptable SWR's aren't even achievable without a suitable ground plane, only to have at least 50% less performance?

I'd probably compare it to you guys on 2 meters using a hand held radio with the factory rubber ducky antenna vs. sling shotting a dipole antenna in a tree or using a J-pole. Night and day to hit the repeater...especially in rough terrain. Now add heavy amounts of DX into his equation. 2 mile mobile to half assed base station will likely be challenging to say the least. So why not just do it right from the beginning if it cost the same (or similar) money?

As far as the mobile radio goes, also a no brainer. We still only have 4 watts to work with (legally anyway). Why not have better flexibility taking up less room?

'95 XJ with a few mods'
Unread 09-29-2005, 09:50 AM   #8
96cherokeeclass
1996 XJ Cherokee 

ok what i am lookin for is a set up where i can keep the walkie-talkies i have but be able to talk to them with a radio in the jeep. I thought cbs ran off a different frequency range?
Unread 09-29-2005, 10:49 AM   #9
k8ysv
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ-n-Oregon
Easy question(s) to answer. It works much better than trying to use a mobile antenna for a base...for the same money and a hell of lot less time. It's pretty much a no brainer installing an Antron99...and it'll out perform any mobile antenna hands down.
Sure, but if he's installing a radio in a vehicle, this is a less than ideal situation if the transmission location is not always the same. You'd have to find a spot, get out and set up an antenna, then break it all down if you move again.

Quote:
So why waste the time and money trying to use a POS 1/4 wave whip when acceptable SWR's aren't even achievable without a suitable ground plane, only to have at least 50% less performance?
Lots of assumptions here. A 1/4 wave antenna, when properly installed and tuned, is an excellent performer. Similarly, a 9' CB whip will get outstanding results on a waggy which has plenty of metal for a ground plane. Performance isn't only measured by length of antenna. Angle of radiation has a lot to do with it as well. But with only a 4 watt system, it doesn't play too big a role.

Quote:
I'd probably compare it to you guys on 2 meters using a hand held radio with the factory rubber ducky antenna vs. sling shotting a dipole antenna in a tree or using a J-pole. Night and day to hit the repeater...especially in rough terrain. Now add heavy amounts of DX into his equation. 2 mile mobile to half assed base station will likely be challenging to say the least. So why not just do it right from the beginning if it cost the same (or similar) money?
The rubber duckies that come OEM on Ham HTs are crap. No argument there, but it's an apples to oranges comparison. A dipole would get a better signal out for sure, especially if up in a tree, but then it wouldn't be portable would it? At least not with a hassle every time you wanted to move. A vehicle-mounted whip (5/8 wave or even a 1/4 wave) would be a damn sight better than a duck and more convenient than a tree-strung dipole or j-pole. Heck even with a rubber duckie on my 5-watt handheld, I was able to hit my local repeater with solid copy from 50+ miles away. It's all about location and height above average terrain, with a spattering of propagation thrown in. Of course I was on top of Perry's Victory Memorial at a few hundred feet at the time...

Quote:
As far as the mobile radio goes, also a no brainer. We still only have 4 watts to work with (legally anyway). Why not have better flexibility taking up less room?
I'm thinking we're in agreement here...right? A mobile CB takes up a LOT less room than a typical mobile radio. Flexibility = complexity in most cases. Something to consider.

As for the OP's concern:

Quote:
ok what i am lookin for is a set up where i can keep the walkie-talkies i have but be able to talk to them with a radio in the jeep. I thought cbs ran off a different frequency range?
It depends on what kind of walkie talkies you're using. If they're FRS, then yes, they're on a different frequency band than CB. You can't get an FRS base radio with a detachable (replaceable or upgradeable) antenna. GMRS will use some of the same frequencies without theis limitation, but you must be licensed to use them. No test, just a fee to the FCC. Also, any sort of a repeater you might want to run really should be coordinated to prevent intereference to other users.

Murs is another option that's license free, in a portion of the 150-something MHz Business band. I think you can get a decent mobile rig but they're not as cheap as CBs.

Which frequency are the walkie talkies you're using?
2004 Patriot Blue Wrangler X, 33"x10.5" BFG Mud Terrains, 4WDH 2" lift with 3/4 inch spacers, 1" BL, 1" Brown Dog MML, Yukon 4.56 gears, Yukon Super 35, ARBs front and rear, Warn 9.5ti winch, GPS, MP3, Some hooks and lotsa skids.
k8ysv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2005, 12:50 PM   #10
TJ-n-Oregon

Quote:
Sure, but if he's installing a radio in a vehicle, this is a less than ideal situation if the transmission location is not always the same. You'd have to find a spot, get out and set up an antenna, then break it all down if you move again.
Agreed But on the flip side of the coin, a properly set up Antron can be installed in about 2 minutes. Yea, you can't go driving around with it vertical, but it'd out perform by far a properly installed 1/4 wave whip hands down. No question about it. We use to do this all the time, and it worked great!
Quote:
Lots of assumptions here. A 1/4 wave antenna, when properly installed and tuned, is an excellent performer. Similarly, a 9' CB whip will get outstanding results on a waggy which has plenty of metal for a ground plane. Performance isn't only measured by length of antenna. Angle of radiation has a lot to do with it as well. But with only a 4 watt system, it doesn't play too big a role.
Disagree. Performance on the 11 meter band has plenty to do with propagation design of the antenna, especially with only 4 watts. If he's mounted the 1/4 wave whip on the bumper or side quarter panel of a SJ for example, serious side reflection would make the antenna performance terrible...not to mention throw the SWR's off significantly. Been there and done that on my old SJ, too. On the roof, I'd put the SOTT-60 5' Tiger up against any brand 1/4 wave whip any day of the week. I've tested them . And as far as a 5/8 wave (Firestik specifically), it wouldn't/couldn't even compete. Once again, from hands on experience...not theory.
Quote:
The rubber duckies that come OEM on Ham HTs are crap. No argument there, but it's an apples to oranges comparison. A dipole would get a better signal out for sure, especially if up in a tree, but then it wouldn't be portable would it?
Yes, it would. But I guess the term "Portable" may have different meaning to some. If it can be put up & taken down quickly, I'd consider that portable. If I can drive around with it, I'd consider that mobile. But my Ham buddy used to do this all the time with 2 meters, and took only a few minutes to set up worse case (depending on his aim with the sling shot ).
Quote:
I'm thinking we're in agreement here...right? A mobile CB takes up a LOT less room than a typical mobile radio. Flexibility = complexity in most cases. Something to consider.
Yep
Quote:
As for the OP's concern: It depends on what kind of walkie talkies you're using. If they're FRS, then yes, they're on a different frequency band than CB. You can't get an FRS base radio with a detachable (replaceable or upgradeable) antenna. GMRS will use some of the same frequencies without theis limitation, but you must be licensed to use them. No test, just a fee to the FCC. Also, any sort of a repeater you might want to run really should be coordinated to prevent intereference to other users.

Murs is another option that's license free, in a portion of the 150-something MHz Business band. I think you can get a decent mobile rig but they're not as cheap as CBs.

Which frequency are the walkie talkies you're using?
Yep...all of this I agree with.

'95 XJ with a few mods'
Unread 09-29-2005, 11:47 PM   #11
ChaoticBastard
2012 JK Wrangler 

If that is all your looking for.Cobra makes a NICE 4 Way set of 2 way radios.They have a 10 mile Range.They are pretty pricey around 220 for all 4.But well worth it.
MetalHead Jeep Club Member #33
Quote:
Originally Posted by kairo
what's wrong with bombing poor people? It has all the awesomeness of bombing combined with removal of crime. It's like a win win situation.
Unwad your panties
ChaoticBastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2005, 10:04 PM   #12
Bgeddes
Ridin' with the King

Quote:
They have a 10 mile Range
Don't believe any range info radio manufacturers publish. They are best case scenarios. Most of the time the conditions will not be repeatable and therefore the range will not be there.

Decent radio, excellent feedline, and an excellent antenna will give you the best range in any situation, but the best for that day and conition might be one quarter of what the marketing claims.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.