What's the best dash cam? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 05-27-2016, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
2005 LJ Wrangler 
What's the best dash cam?

I can usually research and find the answer to anything on the internet...except what the best five dash cams are. Does anyone have any dash cam knowledge they want to drop ?

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 Old 05-28-2016, 06:35 PM
2005 WK 
I bought a g10 camera on Amazon for $40 but I got a counterfeit. The seller in China tried to get me to take $5 back since it wasn't economical for me to return the camera to China for a full refund. Yeah, they wanted me to pay shipping for their thievery. I said no and demanded they send the camera I paid for, so they upped it to $7 then after another round $15.

Amazon refunded my money in full and the camera with its low quality lasted about a year before it died. The ad on Amazon said it recorded in .mov format but the one I received recorded in .avi format. That's how you can tell without opening the camera and looking at what's printed on the chip (which can also be faked) is the format; .mov = genuine while .avi = fake, remember that.

Meanwhile, amazon took down my negative review of both the seller and the camera which has kept me from trusting their reviews and from buying from amazon.

Some sellers have gotten wise and now do not list the recording format.

A genuine G10 dash cam is a pretty good deal at around $50 or so. If the price is lower that's OK but be careful and do your homework.

Poor grammar is something up with which I shall not put.
post #3 of 3 Old 05-29-2016, 07:09 AM
2006 WK 
I have the Blackvue DR650GW (http://thedashcamstore.com/blackvue-...ront-and-rear/.)

It has front and rear cameras, GPS and WIFI. The WIFI is great because it allows you to see what the camera sees when you are mounting it, and you can download footage to your smart phone or tablet.

It ties right into your fuse box so it starts up when you start the car and shuts down when you turn it off. You can also get the Power Magic Pro which will keep it on for a pre-determined amount of time or when your battery runs down do a certain voltage. With this option turned on the camera will enter "parking mode" (sleep) when the vehicle is stationary, and will wake up if it senses any movement or an impact.

I've had it for over a year and a half and have only had one issue. It once announced that there was an SD card error and after reseating the card, that went away.

It has voice prompts to say that it's recording and shutting down, but you can turn that off.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.