What lights are NOT for on-road use - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > What lights are NOT for on-road use

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREESpartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8

Unread 12-29-2005, 03:06 AM   #1
abnormal
Platinum Member

1996 XJ Cherokee 

What lights are NOT for on-road use

What kind of lights do most use or recommend???

I am trying to figure out what lights I want to buy but I want to make sure I get the right ones. I have seen all kinds of lights like long range, daylighters, fog, driving and so on. I know driving and fog can be used on-road but what else can? I plan on buying one set of driving lights for my bumper(now) and a set of off-road lights once I get my new bumper(soon).

Unread 12-29-2005, 11:45 AM   #2
denverd0n

As for legality, it depends on your state laws. Some won't allow you to use ANY aftermarket lights on the road. It's pretty rare for such laws to be enforced, though, unless you're driving around in traffic, blinding the bejeezus out of other drivers.

What to use depends on what you want out of them. If you live in an area where fog is prevalent then a quality set of fog lights would be a good idea. I live in Colorado and drive sometimes in snowy/foggy conditions where fog lights work great. On the other hand, if you want to race around the desert at night, some good long-range driving lights will be much better. Many off-roaders like flood beams aimed forward and to the sides--the better to see all around when going slow off-road at night.

So, think about how you're going to use them, when your stock headlights seem inadequate, and that will tell you what kind of lights you need.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.