Warn 8274 winch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Warn 8274 winch

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFAlloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 07-22-2013, 05:28 PM   #1
IDIdiesel
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Warn 8274 winch

Hey guys, Im over from the normal XJ section. I just bought a used warn 8274, duhh, and am having some issues. It can with the 4 solenoids already wired from the last guy. He said it worked before he had it in storage for 2 years. I found a wiring diagram and it all looked right. This morning I hooked it up using jumper cables to test it, clamping the + to the + lean and grounding from the battery to the winch case. Pressing the controller buttons did nothing. I could hear and feel the solenoids click as they should, just no movement or sound from the motor. There is continuity through the motor. Any ideas what could be the issue? This is the wiring diagram i followed since I have the 4 solenoids Thanks for the help guys

IDIdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2013, 06:43 PM   #2
Holder350
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Tried jumping the motor straight to a battery to eliminate the wiring and solenoids?

98' XJ Classic - D30/C8.25 - 4.5" RC Lift - 33x12.50R15 - 4.0 HO - AW4 - NP231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
You can tell the character of a person in how they treat someone who can do nothing for them.
Holder350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2013, 06:52 PM   #3
IDIdiesel
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I used the cables to clamp to the positive lead going into the solenoids and the ground clamp to the case. That didn't work. I tried clamping the jumper cable right from the battery to the motor lugs and there was no movement or sound from the motor.
Unread 07-22-2013, 06:59 PM   #4
pdcomm
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Can you turn the motor by hand ?
pdcomm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2013, 07:23 PM   #5
IDIdiesel
2001 XJ Cherokee 

the motor does turn by hand. Iv never turned another winch motor by hand so I don't really know how hard it should be but it takes some good effort to turn it while engaged. The clutch does disengage and allows it to spin really easy
Unread 07-24-2013, 08:13 PM   #6
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDIdiesel View Post
the motor does turn by hand. Iv never turned another winch motor by hand so I don't really know how hard it should be but it takes some good effort to turn it while engaged. The clutch does disengage and allows it to spin really easy
It should be pretty hard to turn the spool by hand with the clutch engaged since you're actually turning the motor through the gears. Since the driving force of your hand is moving backwards through the gearing, your efforts are actually being reduced instead of magnified like the motor power is when moving through the gears in the other direction. With the clutch disengaged from the gears, all you're spinning is the spool. It sounds like you may indeed have a good winch there.

Check out this thread for lots of great info. > Warn 8274 rebuild
Post 149 explains that the control coil grounds through the solenoid casing so no control ground wire should be needed, but older winches can develop oxidized ground paths and benefit from a ground wire added to the unused control terminal(s).
You can lightly test a soleniod by running a temporary ground to the not-connected control terminal (since the case isn't grounded when the assembly is out of the winch) and a +12VDC signal to the other and listening for the click of contacts engaging. You should read minimal resistance across the primary power terminals when the coil is engaged.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
Better to hoard Jeep technical info than old newspapers and the neighbor's mail, I guess.......
Vote here NOW in the September Cherokee Of The Month contest!!!
chris87xj is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2013, 04:34 AM   #7
RacerX
1989 XJ Cherokee 

May need new brushes, or just a thorough internal cleaning...
- If you take the brushes our EXPECT them to fly across the room
hint: put the whole motor in a white garbage bag before disassembly, then you'll know where the springs pins and washers went.

I did my old Kirby vacuum, about the same size motor -anyway, works great now
RacerX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.