Voltage gauge drops to zero intermittently - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Voltage gauge drops to zero intermittently

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 07-31-2008, 02:06 PM   #1
BlackBellamy
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Voltage gauge drops to zero intermittently

I have recently started having this intermittent problem. I'll be tooling along, everything great, and I notice my 'check guages' comes on because the charging system voltage gauge shows zero.

I shut off the Jeep and turn it on again and one of two things happens:

1) The voltage gauge shows a good charging system voltage. No more problems (at least for a while), I'm good to go.

or

2) The voltage gauge will show a low charging system voltage - somewhere around 12-13 volts. The gauge will then fall to zero after a minute or two, especially if I accellerate past 40 mph. If I repeat the turn off/turn on process eventually it 'fixes' itself.

This started happening to me about two months ago, once here and once there, then it didn't happen for weeks, and now I've had this problem like three days in a row.

I've checked all the connections at the battery and the generator, and everything is nice and tight. The generator belt is good too.

I'm not too electrically inclined. Is there something I should check specifically? I have a multimeter so if anyone has a suggestion on what I should check and where I would appreciate it.

The top and doors on this vehicle are designed only for protection against the elements. Do not rely on the top and doors to contain occupants within the vehicle or to protect against injury during an accident. Wear seatbelts at all times.
BlackBellamy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2008, 03:10 PM   #2
mylt1

check the connection to the gauges themselves. could be loose there.
mylt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2008, 12:01 PM   #3
BlackBellamy
1999 TJ Wrangler 

yeah will do - a mechanic friend yesterday told me it sounds like the gauge so if it's not a loose connection i'll see if another gauge (i got a spare, not oem but it will do) exhibits the same problem
The top and doors on this vehicle are designed only for protection against the elements. Do not rely on the top and doors to contain occupants within the vehicle or to protect against injury during an accident. Wear seatbelts at all times.
Unread 08-17-2008, 09:15 AM   #4
BlackBellamy
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Nope, it was the alternator. Buck-twenty five out of pocket and replaced the alternator yesterday after it died and stayed dead.

What happened was I went wheeling in the mud and didn't clean out the alternator sufficiently. It would work ok, except when under heavy load/rpms/hot it would start to crap out a little, giving 12-13v instead of 14+. Eventually it would crap out totally - except when I shut of the engine and started again it would go back to work and behave normally because it would cool off a bit.

After I took off the old one I gave it a couple of whacks with a hammer and this big cloud of dust came out

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.