Upgrading Wrangler Sound System - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Upgrading Wrangler Sound System

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 11-28-2013, 01:26 PM   #1
fabio1231231

Upgrading Wrangler Sound System

I have a 13' two door wrangler and am looking to upgrade the sound system. Im not knowledgeable about this process at all. Can someone give me a quick rundown on the process I should be taking? Do I go to best buy or an audio specific store? Do I order everything online or buy it At the store?

fabio1231231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2013, 01:32 PM   #2
Bmel17
2006 TJ Wrangler 

if you want it now, get it at the store. If you want to save a bit, buy online.

Help us help you by narrowing down what you are wanting to do. New head unit? New Speakers? Add subwoofer?
Bmel17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2013, 01:39 PM   #3
fabio1231231

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmel17
if you want it now, get it at the store. If you want to save a bit, buy online.

Help us help you by narrowing down what you are wanting to do. New head unit? New Speakers? Add subwoofer?
Is there any benefit to getting a new head unit? Yes im looking to get new speakers, add a sub (all this means I need an amp too?) and have someone install it for me
Unread 11-28-2013, 05:27 PM   #4
Psycho-X-Jeep
Free hugs <<< just ask!

2009 JK Wrangler 

Do you have the factory infinity sound system, or just the standard system? Car Toys & Mobile One are two car audio specific retailers (not sure where you live). Buying the equipment from them will be much more expensive than purchasing off of eBay, etc. Best Buy, Fry's, etc. are fine as well, but will also be more expensive than reasearching the purchases online.

Here are the basics you need to know. You don't have to buy a new head unit, but you will need a LOC (line output converter) if you want to run an amplifier. Or get a new head unit and a LOC is not necessary if it has pre-amp outputs. If you want to run a sub, then you will need an amp. Depending on how powerful the sub is, you may power the other speakers through an amplifier as well... But it's not mandatory.
Psycho-X-Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2013, 07:50 PM   #5
fabio1231231

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho-X-Jeep
Do you have the factory infinity sound system, or just the standard system? Car Toys & Mobile One are two car audio specific retailers (not sure where you live). Buying the equipment from them will be much more expensive than purchasing off of eBay, etc. Best Buy, Fry's, etc. are fine as well, but will also be more expensive than reasearching the purchases online.

Here are the basics you need to know. You don't have to buy a new head unit, but you will need a LOC (line output converter) if you want to run an amplifier. Or get a new head unit and a LOC is not necessary if it has pre-amp outputs. If you want to run a sub, then you will need an amp. Depending on how powerful the sub is, you may power the other speakers through an amplifier as well... But it's not mandatory.
So what it comes down to is I need (want) a new head unit, sub, replacement speakers, and an amp? And have it all installed by best buy or an audio store?
Unread 11-28-2013, 09:29 PM   #6
Psycho-X-Jeep
Free hugs <<< just ask!

2009 JK Wrangler 

Yes. And just so you know, a few other items will be needed that you may not have thought of but can/will be supplied by the shop doing the installation (dash kit, wire harness, amp wiring kit, speaker adapter plates, sub enclosure, etc.). Next you will need to determine what type & size sub you want to run, this will determine the wattage (RMS wattage, not Peak) amp you need to run. Good luck.
Psycho-X-Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2013, 09:33 PM   #7
Bmel17
2006 TJ Wrangler 

you got it. You could save some money by doing it yourself. Bestbuy or any audio store will install it and walk you through what you need. If you want to keep your stock unit, you can by adding the LOC. I've done it once, and it was fine, but I like the control an aftermarket stereo gives you.
Bmel17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2013, 04:07 PM   #8
jasongilliland

Just replaced the entire system in my 2013 jk. I replaced speakers first and it sounded better but not great. Then i put a new pioneer deck in to replace the factory head unit. Sounds much better. Added a 10" sub and the whole system sounds fantastic now. I would definitely replace factory head unit.
jasongilliland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2013, 04:13 PM   #9
jasongilliland

Here's a link to the sub enclosure. Its kind of pricey, but doesn't take up much room and sounds good with a quality subwoofer. http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/M...eels-MS-R-MS-R

I am using an Energy Hertz dual voice coil sub powered by a jl audio xd300/1. The enclosure is super durable and water wont hurt it.
Unread 11-30-2013, 12:06 PM   #10
fabio1231231

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasongilliland
Just replaced the entire system in my 2013 jk. I replaced speakers first and it sounded better but not great. Then i put a new pioneer deck in to replace the factory head unit. Sounds much better. Added a 10" sub and the whole system sounds fantastic now. I would definitely replace factory head unit.
This is very similar to what I am looking it do. Thanks for this and i am heavily considering that enclosure.
Unread 12-07-2013, 11:50 AM   #11
gily25
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Benefits to an aftermarket head unit are sound quality and control over eq...many factory head units have internal crossovers to protect OEM speakers. That enclosure looks very jeep friendly but keep in mind plastic doesn't resonate well, enclosures made of mdf will sound better. Cheaper too if you make it yourself, just need a sheet of 3/8" mdf, screws, some silicon to seal the seams, and if you want fiberglass resin on the outside or bed liner will give if some weather resistance.
Unread 12-08-2013, 11:53 AM   #12
jasongilliland

That particular enclosure is made of polyurethane. Very thick and rigid. That being said, MDF would be much cheaper and possibly sound better.
Unread 12-08-2013, 12:51 PM   #13
pineaur

Jason ... Do the aftermarket head units integrate with the steering wheel controls? Or do you lose that feature when you replace?
pineaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2013, 04:53 PM   #14
Tragyn
Registered LUser

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pineaur View Post
Jason ... Do the aftermarket head units integrate with the steering wheel controls? Or do you lose that feature when you replace?
Separate module to retain steering controls.
Tragyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.