Upgrading the Sound system, 97 wrangler - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Upgrading the Sound system, 97 wrangler

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 09-17-2009, 11:53 AM   #1
Tkahne88
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Upgrading the Sound system, 97 wrangler

I am pretty lost when it comes to audio. I only understand how it can all come together, like wiring n such. But the important things is pairing things up and I dont know about that.

Head unit: pioneer receiver thats at least 3 years old. I wish i could tell you more about it but i dont even know the model, if someone could direct me to a listing of all models i could point it out. I just want to know if this unit is suitable anymore.

Speakers: looks like 4x7"s in dash and original size for sound bar maybe 6.5? idk but they are Sony x plod speakers.

I used to have 2 12" mtx sub-woofers in a custom box installed with a 500w amp in the center console, unfortunately the amp overheated after a few years of owning it and i took the subs out because i like the top off the jeep as much as possible, rain is no good for the box.

So that's what i know about what I have, I will look up more info to help you guys help me as much as i can. All I can say is it sounds like crap! no bass whatsoever without the subs. i think possibly worse than stock sounds.

I need some Ideas and directions, please and thanks for the help.

Unread 09-17-2009, 12:06 PM   #2
46scale
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Don't put the amp in the center console, that is most likely the reason it over heated. If your going to put it under a seat or somewhat confined space, they make amps with internal fans to prevent overheating. Your not going to get much bass out of the stock size speakers not matter stock or aftermarket, they don't have enough of an enclosure, although aftermarket will definitely have a lot more clarity. For decent bass you will need a sub.

Unread 09-17-2009, 02:22 PM   #3
Tkahne88
1997 TJ Wrangler 

that's not a bad idea with the rack over the box. but mine was set up behind the rear seat before then i moved it up when i took the seat out. I like to have the space and prefer not to put a big box back in. besides i never have the back 3 windows on during the summer.

How would I go about placing an 8" sub in the center console? is it best to look for the jeeps that offered the sub and buy a used console? I do want a new one either way.
Unread 09-17-2009, 06:38 PM   #4
46scale
1999 TJ Wrangler 

i'm not sure about the factory sub console, but I don't see why that wouldn't work. I also had a sub box behind the rear seat, but when I put the rack in, my only access to the back was through the front. So I made a different box and moved it up so now I can slide my totes in through the tailgate. I have plenty of room below and obviously up top for my needs.
Unread 09-17-2009, 07:39 PM   #5
Tkahne88
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Does any body have and stereo installed that is 1.5 din? or even 2 din. I hate the gap between a 1 din (regular aftermarket size) stereo and the dash console.
I want to see some pictures of a full stereo in a jeep
Unread 09-18-2009, 06:18 PM   #6
jeepgrandc
2001 FSJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkahne88 View Post
I am pretty lost when it comes to audio. I only understand how it can all come together, like wiring n such. But the important things is pairing things up and I dont know about that.

Head unit: pioneer receiver thats at least 3 years old. I wish i could tell you more about it but i dont even know the model, if someone could direct me to a listing of all models i could point it out. I just want to know if this unit is suitable anymore.

Speakers: looks like 4x7"s in dash and original size for sound bar maybe 6.5? idk but they are Sony x plod speakers.

I used to have 2 12" mtx sub-woofers in a custom box installed with a 500w amp in the center console, unfortunately the amp overheated after a few years of owning it and i took the subs out because i like the top off the jeep as much as possible, rain is no good for the box.

So that's what i know about what I have, I will look up more info to help you guys help me as much as i can. All I can say is it sounds like crap! no bass whatsoever without the subs. i think possibly worse than stock sounds.

ok so i have a 2001 jeep grand cherokee this is my system....
-alpine CDE-102 head unit
-4 alpine s-type door speakers
-kenwood KAC-X40 amp

i plan on buying....
-Alpine type R 12"sub
-Kenwood KAC-8140D amp
-ported sub box

my system sounds great. its extremily loud and is very clear it turns heads when i blast it. what i recommend for you is to first get an amp for your speakers. most people overlook this part and they will hear alot of distortion in there music once they turn it up a little bit. this happens because your speakers are running off the built in amp from your head unit which is very small and does not have sufficient power to let your speakers reach there potential. once you do that invest in a new amp for your subs and put your subs back in. if you do that youll have the nicest system in town.

Good Luck!
jeepgrandc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2009, 06:20 PM   #7
jeepgrandc
2001 FSJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Does any body have and stereo installed that is 1.5 din? or even 2 din. I hate the gap between a 1 din (regular aftermarket size) stereo and the dash console.
I want to see some pictures of a full stereo in a jeep
you need to buy a stereo harness, you can get one at crutchfield.com or at your local walmart, pep boys, or best buy. they have vehicle specific ones so make sure what you get is right for your jeep, this will fill that gap you are referring to i had to do the same thing with my jeep.

hope this helps, good luck!
jeepgrandc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2009, 10:08 PM   #8
Tkahne88
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgrandc View Post
you need to buy a stereo harness, you can get one at crutchfield.com or at your local walmart, pep boys, or best buy. they have vehicle specific ones so make sure what you get is right for your jeep, this will fill that gap you are referring to i had to do the same thing with my jeep.

hope this helps, good luck!
I guess its not so much a gap but its just the different texture and something that, to me shouldnt be there. if they actually made decent 1.5 din radios it would fit perfectly, no spacers, no gaps.
Unread 09-18-2009, 10:10 PM   #9
Tkahne88
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgrandc View Post
ok so i have a 2001 jeep grand cherokee this is my system....
-alpine CDE-102 head unit
-4 alpine s-type door speakers
-kenwood KAC-X40 amp

i plan on buying....
-Alpine type R 12"sub
-Kenwood KAC-8140D amp
-ported sub box

my system sounds great. its extremily loud and is very clear it turns heads when i blast it. what i recommend for you is to first get an amp for your speakers. most people overlook this part and they will hear alot of distortion in there music once they turn it up a little bit. this happens because your speakers are running off the built in amp from your head unit which is very small and does not have sufficient power to let your speakers reach there potential. once you do that invest in a new amp for your subs and put your subs back in. if you do that youll have the nicest system in town.

Good Luck!
ya definitely, I will invest in a small amp for the speakers, how should i pair an amp to these speakers? should i invest in other speakers than sony x plods? I always here they suck, but maybe its bc peoople dont set them up right. idk.
Unread 09-18-2009, 11:02 PM   #10
jcool1985

I too have alpine type S speakers in my grand cherokee (WJ) and love them. Whatever aftermarket speakers you get you need an amp for them. I would recommend alpine, kicker, jbl, infinity, polk, rockford fosgate. To name a few of the good brands that don't cost too much. sony, kenwood, pioneer are not that good of brands for speakers. Check out Car Audio Stereo - Car Subwoofers - Car Amplifiers and Speakers or Crutchfield: LCD TV, Car Stereo, Home Theater, Speakers, Plasma TV. For some pricing and ideas. Sonic will have better pricing but crutchfield gives you free wiring and tech support. So either is good. Buy an amp of at least 40 watts per channel RMS for your speakers. More wattage is generally better so long as your speakers can handle it (most aftermarket speakers can handle more than 40 RMS wattage and buy a good name brand amp. Good luck!
jcool1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2009, 09:03 AM   #11
SirGCal

Quote:

Ok, ok... First off these suggestions are for Grands, they won't do you much good. Acoustics in a TJ are completely different.

Anyhow; we'll start with speakers.

The stock speakers are 4x6 (unconventional, need bracket to mount aftermarket) in the dash that can easily be changed out for 5.25" speakers (adapter required and a pair of tin snips. See my website for more information.) which I highly recommend as the #1 upgrade to do in a Wrangler TJ.

The sound-bar for your 97 is a 5.25" which I would keep there if you plan on running any subs. Use the same pair you use for the dash.

For subs; there are a lot of stealth options from insta-trunk, to in-rear-seat (see my website), to in-console, etc. To put an amp in the center console, you have to make provisions for cooling. Other amp locations include under the steering column and/or under various seats.

Now, as for brands; heads I only use Alpine or Eclipse. The quality of their electronics just don't compare to the rest, far above and beyond for both quality and reliability. I've posted on this many times before... But any major manufacturer should be fine if it has the options you want.

As for speakers; listen to no-one but yourself. It doesn't matter if you end up liking Focal's or Duals... Or from the highest to the lowest. From the $2k brands to the $2 flea-market specials... (and honestly, in Jeeps, the low to mid range speakers are all you need, don't spend money on insane fill speakers.) What does matter is your specific ears, how you hear, what you hear, and what YOU like. If anyone tells you 'X' speaker sucks (without some actually physical failure as a reason, not just quality), ignore them completely as they have no idea what they are talking about what so ever.

No two people hear exactly the same. What I might love, you might hate. What you love, 'joe' might hate, etc... That's why you can take the same three winning SQ cars to the shows, and a different one will win each time. It's simply a matter of opinion. Go to the stores (go to multiple ones, don't make a decision on just one), take some CDs with you (make sure they are family-friendly without cuss words, etc.) and listen to all the brands they have on an equal playing field. Take a piece of paper, close your eyes, set the bass/treble or EQs to flat, and listen to each and every one. Rate them on the paper. Move to the next store, repeat. Do this a few times and you'll start to see a pattern. You might find you like Alpine and Polk but Infinity is too bright... Or you might find Polk and Alpine are a bit flat and Infinity sounds better (this is just as an example...). Or you might love Sony or Pioneer and hate this and that... It doesn't matter who's name is on the box... Just what your ears think of the sound output.

Once you find the brand of speakers you like, then we can talk about matching them up to an amp and balancing them out to a sub, etc.

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2009, 11:12 AM   #12
jcool1985

[QUOTE]The stock speakers are 4x6 (unconventional, need bracket to mount aftermarket) /QUOTE] I don't know how 4x6 is unconventional? Lots of speaker manufactures make very good 4x6 speakers. Look on sonic electronics.com they have a ton of 4x6 and 4x6 plate speakers. 4x6 plate speakers have a separate woofer and tweeter.
Unread 09-19-2009, 12:59 PM   #13
SirGCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcool1985 View Post
I don't know how 4x6 is unconventional? Lots of speaker manufactures make very good 4x6 speakers. Look on sonic electronics.com they have a ton of 4x6 and 4x6 plate speakers. 4x6 plate speakers have a separate woofer and tweeter.
The 4x6" speaker in a TJ is an unconventional mount design. To mount another 4x6" aftermarket speaker, you need an adapter bracket. So if you're going to get an adapter anyhow; might as well go with the improved sound from a round (better than oval) and larger 5.25" speaker.

I also do not like 4x6" plates (regardless they would still need an adapter), 4" speakers are just too small for full-range effectiveness at the volumes a Wrangler needs. 5.25" is the sweet spot for fill speakers.

Living and loving on borrowed time. Life with Multiple Sclerosis. My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2009, 02:53 PM   #14
Tkahne88
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal View Post
The 4x6" speaker in a TJ is an unconventional mount design. To mount another 4x6" aftermarket speaker, you need an adapter bracket. So if you're going to get an adapter anyhow; might as well go with the improved sound from a round (better than oval) and larger 5.25" speaker.

I also do not like 4x6" plates (regardless they would still need an adapter), 4" speakers are just too small for full-range effectiveness at the volumes a Wrangler needs. 5.25" is the sweet spot for fill speakers.
Alright SirGCal. thanks a lot for that info I will start looking around for 5.25 speakers and I'll report back to this forum with what I go with so I can continue to better the sounds in my jeep.

and in consideration to everyone elses opinion I will get an amp on the speakers too.
Unread 09-19-2009, 08:30 PM   #15
jcool1985

Oh ok sirgcal thanks for clearing that up. I thought the OP could just get a 4x6 and screw it in place since the wrangler dash speakers are 4x6 I didn't know that they are 4x6 but a different mount style than an standard 4x6 speaker. So if the OP has to use an adapter anyway than he might as well upgrade to a larger speaker anyway makes sense to me. Thanks for the info.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.