two stage plan - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > two stage plan

SALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-LoFord Explorer 8.8 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft Kit C Clip ElimStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 10-18-2002, 05:39 PM   #1
Tyler Dirden

two stage plan

I was going to get something really, really cheap to satisfy my cb needs. I have since decided to buy a good antennea first (which is pretty cheap, anyway).

For my impending trip, I have borrowed a decent hand-held, and I'd like to pick up an antennea this weekend. Then in a week or two (after I know what I need/want in a cb radio) I'll pick up a cb unit.

Thing is, I don't know what to look for. I've heard of Firestick, is this a good way to go? Which one should I get?

HELP!
td
\oo/_ _\oo/

Unread 10-18-2002, 09:54 PM   #2
Devious
Hobo

2008 JK Wrangler 

I've never been a big fan of fiberglass antenna's. You can break them to easily in the cold weather and the range you get out of them doesn't seem to as good as a whip style like a Wilson or K-40 type. As far as CB's go, it depends on how much you want to spend and what it will be used for. For under $100 you could go with a Uniden 510 not a bad little radio, but lacks the features of higher priced ones. I personally would go with a Cobra 29 it has nitewatch faceplate, mic gain, SWR meter, and certain models have a weather channel. If price doesn't matter get a Connex or Galaxy. www.pinklightning.com Try this site for some info.
Unread 10-19-2002, 07:11 PM   #3
Scrambler82
1982 CJ8 

krazykracker is right about inexpensive radios y Uniden, they are usually good enough.

Antennas, I like Wilson, I will be mounting a Trucker 5000 on the rear tire holder with an extended lower mast about 18"s. The extended mast will get the coil even or above the top where I like it. The top mast is a very flexible whip about 36" long but a shorter whip is available but I think it has an added coil in it; too many coils to snap.

Good Luck, everyone has their favorite, look and listen to friend and see what they are running and if you like how their antenna performs then buy it, at least until you have tried a few and determined which one you really like.

Do it right the first time !
Scrambler82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.