Two cobra CB radios - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Two cobra CB radios

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 01-31-2012, 07:02 AM   #1
WoodiE55
2004 WJ 

Two cobra CB radios

Looking at buying either the Cobra 18 WX or the Cobra 29 LX.

I listen to sirius radio nearly 100% of the time while on the road so getting local weather isn't something I get while on the road so having a CB with weather channels is a nice bonus.

Which of these would you recommend?

Unread 01-31-2012, 09:09 PM   #2
chris142
2002 TJ Wrangler 

The29 has a noise blanker.

"Switchable Noise Blanker: For increased noise reduction." The 18 does not so you will hear every electrical noise within 50 ft w/o it.

I'd go with the 29 over the 18
chris142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2012, 09:37 PM   #3
SnowdogMarc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I've got the 29 in my rig as well. No problems with it at all.
My 2m rig gets more use both on and off the trail though.
l---L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)____________VE6-SDG
SnowdogMarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2012, 10:43 AM   #4
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I used to be a Cobra fan but not in many years... I just don't believe their quality is even close to what it used to be. If I needed another CB, I'd stick with either a Uniden like their Pro-510XL or Pro-520XL, or one of the Midlands that is similar. Uniden has an outstanding reputation among Jeepers and I've had zero problems with either of the two Uniden Pro-520XLs I've owned. I would still be running my original 16 year old Uniden Pro-520X if it and the Jeep it was mounted in hadn't been stolen last year.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2012, 02:05 PM   #5
JeepJeep31
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I have been running an old Cobra 20 Plus. It started acting weird begging of this past spring. I spent about $130 getting it looked at. I think the receiver has went in it. I have power but get no RX or TX intermittantly. I am not sure though as I know very little about CBs. I hope I am not just throwing money at my set up again that is not the problem.

This week I looked at several Cobra and Uniden radios and I just order two days ago the Uniden 520XL. The radio cost me $46 shipped from overstock. It had every option I needed and some things my old Cobra did not. I will let you know what I think about the radio soon.
Unread 02-03-2012, 02:25 PM   #6
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I have been running a Uniden PC68XL close to 8-10 years give or take. I have had no problems with it. Before I had that I had a couple cheap Maxxons but they didn't last very long.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2012, 11:52 PM   #7
SnowdogMarc
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepJeep31 View Post
I have been running an old Cobra 20 Plus. It started acting weird begging of this past spring. I spent about $130 getting it looked at.
CB's are pretty much disposable. For what it costs to replace even the higher end models it's really not cost effective to bring them to a shop to repair them. 2 hrs labor and you can buy a high end unit new.
l---L -[]lllllll[]-

()_) ()_)--o-)_)____________VE6-SDG
SnowdogMarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2012, 04:58 PM   #8
JeepJeep31
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Yea I wish I would have known that or got that advice last winter.

I ended up buying a new coax...not the problem, a new mount...not the problem, a new mic...not the problem but worked for a while. I even had the power boosted to 7 watts cause I wasn't getting even close to a mile.

The all of a sudden no signal. Power to the radio but no Tx or Rx no matter what channel or squelch level. The radio was in cb and not pa mode. It would work and then not on and off intermittently and not patter to why or when it wouldn't work.

I sure hope the radio was the problem. I use mine daily and from my readings most radios get 4 miles, one per watt, not under one.
Unread 02-12-2012, 03:39 PM   #9
JeepJeep31
1999 TJ Wrangler 

To the original poster.

I received my uniden 520 xl pro. It is a sweet radio. I am still dialing it in and learning the radio but it is night and day from my old radio.
Unread 02-12-2012, 03:42 PM   #10
JeepJeep31
1999 TJ Wrangler 

My old radio, with the same set up to power and antenna, would have static on power up to where sequelch had to be at least quarter turn to science. This radio has squelch set to off an no noise...even with rf gain turned up.

Perhaps my old radio was just that bad.
Unread 02-13-2012, 08:43 PM   #11
mitchrb1
1998 TJ Wrangler 

To OP. I have a Uniden Pro 510XL in the Jeep because of all the good reviews I read from other Jeepers. One of the things that is great is the size. It's hard to find space in a Jeep sometimes. I used the Quadratec mount that goes on the side of the console. It's a pretty basic unit, manual tuning etc, but it really works well. No issues with this unit. Since my Truck is my DD, I don't miss the Weather band all that much.

I also have the Cobra 18 WXSTII in my Truck. I Like it for the weather band and the front speaker and the fact that it will monitor 2 channels at the same time. Little fancier scan and DX settings etc. I have had an issue with the MIC sticking on this one a few times. I have to speak then push the MIC button again or it sticks and I miss responses. It only does it when I first start using it. I am used to it now, but I am looking at getting another MIC for this one. I got it free so I can't complain.

Both units have good receive and send reception. Get an SWR meter so you can setup the Antenna properly and you shouldn't have any issues.
mitchrb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2012, 08:55 PM   #12
Xjliker

My 2 cents worth here. LOL if your going to get a replacement mic get the astatic 636, the proven standard the truckers have used for years, it's a great upgrade from a stock mic , you can find for about $20 online.

Best wishes
XJ liker
Xjliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2012, 10:00 AM   #13
Scrambler82
1982 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
I used to be a Cobra fan but not in many years... I just don't believe their quality is even close to what it used to be. If I needed another CB, I'd stick with either a Uniden like their Pro-510XL or Pro-520XL, or one of the Midlands that is similar. Uniden has an outstanding reputation among Jeepers and I've had zero problems with either of the two Uniden Pro-520XLs I've owned. I would still be running my original 16 year old Uniden Pro-520X if it and the Jeep it was mounted in hadn't been stolen last year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
I have been running a Uniden PC68XL close to 8-10 years give or take. I have had no problems with it. Before I had that I had a couple cheap Maxxons but they didn't last very long.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepJeep31 View Post
To the original poster.

I received my uniden 520 xl pro. It is a sweet radio. I am still dialing it in and learning the radio but it is night and day from my old radio.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchrb1 View Post
To OP. I have a Uniden Pro 510XL in the Jeep because of all the good reviews I read from other Jeepers. One of the things that is great is the size. It's hard to find space in a Jeep sometimes. I used the Quadratec mount that goes on the side of the console. It's a pretty basic unit, manual tuning etc, but it really works well. No issues with this unit. Since my Truck is my DD, I don't miss the Weather band all that much.

I also have the Cobra 18 WXSTII in my Truck. I Like it for the weather band and the front speaker and the fact that it will monitor 2 channels at the same time. Little fancier scan and DX settings etc. I have had an issue with the MIC sticking on this one a few times. I have to speak then push the MIC button again or it sticks and I miss responses. It only does it when I first start using it. I am used to it now, but I am looking at getting another MIC for this one. I got it free so I can't complain.

Both units have good receive and send reception. Get an SWR meter so you can setup the Antenna properly and you shouldn't have any issues.
Been using Uniden for years CBs, Scanners and now even Wireless hse Phones, good product.

Cobra was once good, even the best in the hay day of CBs but they used Uniden main PCBs to run the radio.

Do it right the first time !
Scrambler82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2012, 01:40 PM   #14
mitchrb1
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xjliker View Post
My 2 cents worth here. LOL if your going to get a replacement mic get the astatic 636, the proven standard the truckers have used for years, it's a great upgrade from a stock mic , you can find for about $20 online.

Best wishes
XJ liker
Thanks, my Astatic 636l will be here tomorrow. Got for 20$ off of Amazon.com
mitchrb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2012, 08:35 PM   #15
chris142
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Thats a good mic but.......It's a noise cancelling mic. This means that it has what looks like a sponge in it to cancel out back ground noise.

Using it on a stock radio may or may not work well. Your audio may be very low with this mic, people may have trouble hearing you unless you talk loudly into it.

I common fix is to turn up the modulation inside the radio to make up for the low modulation.

Or it may be fine.
chris142 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cobra , radio

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.