Tweeter Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Tweeter Question

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 04-11-2007, 11:54 AM   #1
chapladley

Tweeter Question

I am the owner of a 2000 jeep grand cherokee limited and am having a problem with the tweeters in the dash.

I have the inifinity gold system and when I turn the volume up, to even a moderate level, I hear a annoying rattle/hum coming from the tweeters. Consequently, I have been only using the back two speakers by switching the control knob on the factory head unit.

I find this very obnoxious and would like to find a cheap/easy way to fix it. Is it possible to just cut the wires running to the tweeters, or will that mess up my whole stereo?

I am not very knowledgeable about audio stuff at all so I was hoping to get some input from other owners. Thanks in advance for your help.

chapladley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2007, 06:15 PM   #2
C2U5H
2012 JK Wrangler 

you can cut the tweeter wires with no ill effects concerning the working ability of the system... but you will have no highs up front.

you could, however, replace the tweeter easily with a pair from crutchfield (they have cheap ones that'll work just fine for the factory stereo).
C2U5H is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2007, 06:26 PM   #3
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

According to Crutchfield:

No direct factory replacements available. Your factory tweeter does not match any aftermarket size exactly. Call us for details about available space in your factory locations for custom mounting.
Unread 04-11-2007, 06:31 PM   #4
DefStatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot
According to Crutchfield:

No direct factory replacements available. Your factory tweeter does not match any aftermarket size exactly. Call us for details about available space in your factory locations for custom mounting.
True, there are no direct fit from Crutchfield. I believe the indash ones are some weird 3". But that doesn't mean you can just use some 1" tweeters with a mounting bracket of sorts in the same location without any major modifications.
DefStatic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2007, 07:21 PM   #5
chapladley

Cool. Thanks for the help.
chapladley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2007, 08:07 PM   #6
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

I would consider a surface mount with a swivel, mounted on the dash.
Unread 04-11-2007, 09:51 PM   #7
Blake
Redefining body roll

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Just an FYI, the x-over points on those factory tweeters are pretty low, the get near full-range sound from the amp.

1999.5 Ford F250
6.8l V10 l Auto l 4WD l 4" Spring Lift | 4.30 Gears | 35" Treadwright MT/R's

Youtube

Twitter
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2007, 08:09 PM   #8
JeepMan7070

Found a pair

I found a pair of OEMS at a website called www.jeeptweeter.com . They were something like 90 bucks for the pair..... worked for me...

JM
JeepMan7070 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2007, 01:29 AM   #9
CMARJEEP
2001 WJ 

i bought a pair of tweeters from bestbuy because i had the same problem. youll have to fab up some of your own mounting brackets in most cases but thats easy. just pop up the cover over the tweeters (the whole thin cover that runs under the whole windshieild). cut the clips off the factory system, splice the wire and hook them up. the aftermarket offers much better highs than stock anyways. good luck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.