Turning on headlights causes electrical trips/resets
Vehicle: 2001 WJ Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L V8
On 7/22/12 @ 2030 I was driving down the highway and turned on my headlights, the following occurred:
Sequence of events:
Driving ~60 mph, Turned headlights w/fog lights from auto to on
- Transmission kicked
- Dial gauges (speed, tach, gas, battery, etc.) bounced to zero
- Clock reset
- Radio reset
- Dash lights reset (all turned on similar to when car starts up)
- Trip odometer reset
Immediately after, all gauges/lights returned to normal
Turned headlights off while driving ~50 mph, nothing happened
Symptoms repeated at ~40 and 30 mph
Overhead console was not reset, unsure if it was affected at all
- Ground strap connection? Maybe from spark plug?
- Bad battery with excess load from headlights?
- Bad alternator?
- Replace brake line from manifold to rear axle (8 days earlier)
- Replace battery (6 days earlier) Duralast Gold
- Replace spark plugs (1 day earlier) Copper, 0.040” gap
I also noticed 1 day later that the replaced brake line is has a small leak at both the manifold and a brake line coupler.
Recently, it has been uncharacteristically hot/humid for upstate NY (~85-90 degF) although I doubt this has anything to do with it.
I am not sure why this happened, any help would be greatly appreciated.