Tuffy Security consoles: Stereo Problems? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Tuffy Security consoles: Stereo Problems?

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 03-22-2005, 04:57 PM   #1
ArmySGT

Tuffy Security consoles: Stereo Problems?

My jeep was broken into recently for a crappy stereo and a pair of sunglasses. Since this experience I am purchasing a Tuffy Security console with stereo mount for my TJ. While talking to a Crutchfield representative he told me that their stereos were not intended to be mounted in the position the tuffy has set up. I was told i would get lots of skipping and might damage the reciever. I was just hoping to hear from other Jeep owners who have this product and could speak from experience about this "problem"

ArmySGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2005, 05:05 PM   #2
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Some CD players really do have problems when mounted in any position other than horizontal. The Crutchfield rep you spoke to may not know exactly which CD players he sells have that problem but it is true that not CD players do well in that position.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2005, 05:13 PM   #3
ArmySGT

recommended stereos?

Does anyone have any recommended brands or models???
ArmySGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2005, 04:48 PM   #4
wyldejackyl

Alpine HU 9843. It plays MP3's too, that's why I got it. I've had it in there for 3 weeks now, including a trip to Arizona and back (1900 miles each way), and haven't had trouble with it. If the disc is scratched, it will be prone to skipping, but i only use CD-Rs anyway. I've taken it over those speed humps everyone thinks slow people down..at about 40 and the thing is rock solid, no skips. Alpine makes a damn find product. I would recommend an amp and upgraded speakers as well. I am more than satisfied with my current setup, and it's installed pretty well (security screws and everything!).
55/100W H4 Hella headlamp conversion w/ dual relays
wyldejackyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2005, 01:04 PM   #5
BzJeep
2001 WJ 

My Clarion Pro Audio hu plays MP3/WMA (DXZ-545MP) and I only paid 180 for it. Very nice headunit and I've never had any problems with it, I have to hit a pretty big bump at good speeds to make it skip.

[b]Green Jeep Club Member #16[/b]
[url]http://www.cardomain.com/id/bzjeep[/url]
BzJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2005, 08:24 PM   #6
Fcal

I know that this probably the answer you're looking for, but did you ever consider getting an IPOD? I have mine hardwired into my Clarion HU and the thing never ever skips. The added benefit is that you will have access to all your tunes without the hassle of changing CD's, and you can mount your HU in any position.
Fcal is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.