Tuffy Overhead Console - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General Technical Discussions > Electrical, Audio, GPS, & 2-Way Radio > Tuffy Overhead Console

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, Skids

Unread 09-14-2004, 10:57 PM   #1
Sues TJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Tuffy Overhead Console

I just installed my new Tuffy Overhead console, and I have a cb that I am trying to put in.
The cb came with the standard bracket to mount it, but it doesn't work with the Tuffy slide out drawer.
For the life of me I haven't been able to figure out how to get the cb to mount in the drawer and the drawer still function properly by sliding up and down in the console.
Has anyone had this issue? If so, do you have any suggestions?
Maybe a cb that worked well with the console? A bracket that fits it, etc...

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

ARB Front Locker
PowerTrax No-Slip Rear Locker
4" Teraflex Lift
410 Gearing
Warn Winch
33" MTRs
Unread 09-16-2004, 07:13 AM   #2
Scrambler82
1982 CJ8 

I have the overhead console but have not installed it.

How about mod'g the bracket, mount it on the bottom of the CB and to get the CB to sit as low as possible in the mount, redrill the holes in the bracket to add a set of holes and mount the bracket as close to teh CB as possible.

Keep the CB/Bracket as close to the cover as possible.

Later,

Do it right the first time !
Scrambler82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2004, 09:30 PM   #3
opiv
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I had the same problem. You dont need to use the mounting bracket.

What I did was to mount it directly to the tray. I carefully drilled new holes to line up with the CB mounting holes. Then at a hardware store I got (countersink) screws that match the threads on the mounting holes in the CB and a bunch of washers to act as spacers. Finally, I mounted the CB with two mounting screws each side. It worked great. You have to use countersink screws because there is little room for clearance. It is easy - just be careful to line up the screws in the correct spot and to make sure the CB is far enough back in the tray to clear the front of the console. You may also have to trim away part of the back of the tray if you have a big CB like I do.
opiv is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.